Non-native English Teacher from Europe Preparing for Taiwan

Hi I-am, your English seems very good. But unfortunately based on your circumstances/ passport you won’t be able to teach English in Taiwan ( at least not legally )

Guy sounds like a real winner. Quick, someone snatch him up.

1 Like

It’s as others have said: your level of English proficiency is irrelevant; if you don’t have a passport from a limited set of countries that have English as an official language (by memory that’s UK. Ireland, Canada, USA, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa), you can’t get a work visa to teach English. Yes, that means if you’re from Quebec and you barely speak English, you’re good to go, but if you’re French and your mother was English but you never got British citizenship (because why would you?), too bad for you. (Actual circumstances of people I’ve met over the years).

2 Likes

Malta, India, Philippines, Eswatini, Belize, and more.

I’m sure there are many Taiwanese ready to get married with you. But you can also consider marrying someone who hold a passport from one of the countries above.

is this a reply to me?

Married to someone with the right passport to teach English outside of a Taiwan passport will do a person no good as far as teaching English in Taiwan as the ARC you get will be a non working ARC

I guess Taiwan has expanded the number of passports allowed to teach English ?

But I agree that it should not be about the passport it should be about the qualifications

I’ve met a few Germans for example who’s English albeit British English was impeccable and yet they would not be allowed to teach English in Taiwan

Whereas some Spaniard for example who just got his say US passport could even if his actual English level was low

This case is similar in Hk. The diversity of ESL teachers is rather great.

I guess the authorities expanded the list of passports they’d accept for English teaching. When did they do that?

the 2004 version of Qualifications and Criteria Standards for foreigners undertaking the jobs specified under Article 46.1.1 to 46.1.6 of the Employment Service Act already said the qualification is
“The language to be taught by the foreign teacher is the official language used in the country specified in the passport of the teacher.”

I don’t know whether at that time English was recognized as the official language only for those 7 countries by MOFA, or there were additional regulations.

1 Like

I don’t know if it was an old rule or I was just promoting a once common misconception (I first arrived in 1997). My apologies!

In theory:

North America:

• United States
  • Canada

Europe:

• United Kingdom
  • Republic of Ireland
  • Malta

Caribbean:

• Jamaica
  • Barbados
  • Trinidad and Tobago
  • Bahamas
  • Guyana

Oceania:

• Australia
  • New Zealand
  • Papua New Guinea
  • Fiji
  • Samoa
  • Tonga
  • Solomon Islands
  • Micronesia
  • Vanuatu
  • Kiribati

Asia:

• India
  • Pakistan
  • Singapore
  • Philippines
  • Sri Lanka
  • Malaysia

Africa:

• South Africa
  • Nigeria
  • Cameroon
  • Kenya
  • Zimbabwe
  • Ghana
  • Rwanda
  • Sudan
  • Botswana
  • Ethiopia

However, as has been discussed elsewhere, when they started giving out ARCs, there was an unofficial Rule of Thumb that restricted English teaching ARCs to nationals from the 7 “White” places on the list.

I think it may have been established somewhere on here that this is no longer the case, but I’m not sure.

4 Likes

Even within those 7, there’s a hierarchical pecking order. For example, if you have an American candidate and a South African candidate with the same experience, then it’s a safe bet that it’s usually the American who will get the job. I remember a Scottish friend of mine who had to pretend to be an American when interacting with the parents of his buxiban students… it was funny, but kinda sad.

1 Like

The “Qualifications and Criteria Standards” @tando links to were first passed in 2004. I think things were totally under the purview of educational authorities before that time, the general principle was that the government agency most directly related to the type of employment would set standards. Pretty sure Taipei or Taiwan education authorities did establish a “7-nation” type standard at that time, looking around a bit to see.

1 Like

2 year with a 120 Hr Tesol. But yeah passport is going to be a issue.

OP here is an idea:

Come to Taiwan and try to register to teach your native language. It is possible to teach German, French, Spanish, Swedish, Russian or Italian. If you go to a multilingual language school, your school could legally hire you to teach your mother tongue, and you could teach your mother tongue + English for them.

Problem solved.

A Buxiban I worked for years ago legally hired an Indian English teacher. Is Possible.

Yeah, I knew guys from Sri Lanka who talked like Ben fucking Kingsley that couldn’t get a job cleaning boards at a bushiban.

Define “years ago”

Yep, I hired an American once who turned out to be a Russian who just got his passport. Пиздец.