Non-native English Teacher from Europe Preparing for Taiwan

Vietnam is more hungry and less picky when it comes to English teachers. They are more willing to hire non-Caucasian nationalities such as Filipinos, thereby saving you from marrying some poor Taiwanese woman (I’m still laughing about you considering marrying a native here just to teach). Your money will go a lot farther in Vietnam. If the shit hits the fan here, you can bet we are skedaddling straight to HCMC.

But I still haven’t seen any serious explanation for why it’s such a bad thing, especially considering my intent is good. And why do you use the words “poor Taiwanese woman” and “just to teach”? Did you miss or not understand what I wrote before?

I almost thought you suggested I am a mere bastard who has no care for anyone morally.

Due to the decline in population, Japan is evolving into an unprecedented immigration policy but expect racial discrimination for the foreseeable future if you choose to live there while the two Koreas aren’t going to survive amicably and peacefully in the short term.

Why not state what country you’re from? That way you’ll know what side of the fence you’re on and others won’t waste time explaining the ins and outs of this issue.

There are people from non English speaking countries teaching English in Taiwan. They are either married to a local or teaching illegally in the somewhat less desirable areas of the country (or in really shady schools).

Fellow man, uh, yeah… I’m pretty sure you want to move here primarily to find a fair-complexioned Asian woman.

I wouldn’t call you out if you weren’t acting so indirectly. You’re the one bringing up dinguses, and [suddenly as you replied… “following thought occurs” (passive voice)] focusing on a girl as your answer.

As you are acting now, I wouldn’t recommend any of these countries to save the women in them the suffering of interacting with such indirectness. Before you read those Mandarin books, read something like “No More Mr. Nice Guy” or “Not Nice”.

If you’re feeling so motivated to meet an East Asian woman, then go to the PRC. It’ll be easier for you to get a job there.

1 Like

My friend went to teach in Vietnam (from Taiwan) and said there was a lot of anti-westerner sentiment during the height of the covid-19 there. Enough that he moved back here. So take that for what it’s worth.

1 Like

@mokkie, that sounds reasonable.

Hi @Pendulum. I didn’t state what country I’m from, because I thought it irrelevant. It seemed sufficient in this particular regard to state or imply whether English is a native language or not, and so far nobody seems to have a problem with that, given some of the good answers. I also do not see therefore why not stating my country is wasting people’s time, or am I missing something?

@chaitea, I do not mean to offend you, but I honestly think you need lessons in logical reasoning and fallacy detection. While you are at it, maybe at least try to understand that you are reading things wrongly. You also do not even know my person, my exact background, my history, my qualities and so forth, but are fine reading things into words where these suggested things do not even exist. We, or at least you, would be wise to refrain from any exchange of words between us, unless you have something good to add. I forgive you for your words, hasty conclusions, and strange reasoning.

Maybe 10 years ago that was the easy alternative for those who couldn’t hack it elsewhere in East Asia. But nowadays, I hear the ESL environment in China is hell right now. They’ve basically made it known that westerners are no longer welcome and are trying to slowly force them out.

A little harsh, but he is coming off as putting on airs a bit.

Harsh, agreed. Mind-reading (don’t know your whole person), agreed. Kinda accurate mind-reading… ?

Thanks Drew, I didn’t know. I did check international schools a few months back and there were many open positions, so figured the same would be true of language schools.

OP, you warn me in one sentence, then forgive me in the next. It’s another instance of indirectness… it doesn’t seem like you really forgive me. I won’t drag this on. I made sure to focus on how you are “acting”… which can change.

1 Like

What do you expect, if someone has been attacked unjustly?

Anyway, @DrewC, if being or wanting to be truthful, reasonable, direct and the like comes off as putting on airs, then so be it. Perhaps it is in some sense in my case an unfortunate tendency, and maybe another person’s perception on an online forum. (I am aware you didn’t call me proud or arrogant, but that you merely implied that I come off as such.)

@chaitea, I don’t understand your response. What warning? What do you mean, that it seems like I do not forgive you? Anyway, don’t get around it, and admit that you have made an unnecessary attack on my person (I would almost think a troll-like attack), using strange and bad reasoning, after which I showed it to be so. Focus rather on your own acting (which I have shown you) which caused my previous response in the first place, before you look at another’s. You seem to accuse me (for some reason still unknown to me), and do not even look at your own actions which instigated this exchange.

Let us like I said before forget about the whole thing, and let us together, yes the both of us, put out the fire before it gets larger. For all I care, if possible, a moderator deletes our messages in question, but let us put it down right now.

in many countries, what country you are from is relevant. Next time, you could add the information to save same unnecessary conversation.

2 Likes

Learning to get to the point is a very important skill. Especially if you want to become a teacher…and yes, you’re missing something.

2 Likes

Telling people in an on-line community what country you’re from is hardly going to get the internet Illuminati after you. It’s simply going to make it easier to give constructive advice.
But carry on being precious if you don’t want specific information.

I was born in Zambia, and grew up in South Africa. I haven’t been hunted down and killed for that, yet, even though it’s widely known.

2 Likes

It’s been going on for a while since Xi took power and relations with the west soured. But it’s accelerated since the coronavirus pandemic. Some high-ranking CCP party members advocated and helped spread a conspiracy theory that westerners started covid-19 in China, if you can believe the audacity of that. Since then, the environment for westerners trying to live and work in China has gotten super toxic and uncomfortable. Press credentials for most western news agencies, including NY Times, have been revoked and they’ve been kicked out of the country as well.

Here’s some more info on it (and this was pre-covid, so things have only gotten worse since then).

1 Like

uh, you are currently already married? In which case going to find another spouse in Taiwan would not be the way to go, ethically or practically… And if you are talking about your future spouse, how are you sure she will “obviously” benefit?

1 Like

I assumed he was talking about his hypothetical future Taiwanese spouse.

uh the quote was from him that was directed at you,

but i did say if the term meant his future wife why would the wife “obviously” benefit?

Just kind of an unusual way to put it. “lol” added here.

Because he’s such an incredibly awesome guy? :thinking:

I would as well assume he thinks so.
But all that is beside the point which is without the right passport teaching english in Taiwan is a moot point.

plus you need the 4 year degree or the 2 year with a certificate I understand?

Welcome to the community.

3 Likes