Non-teaching jobs or industries in taidong,hualian, and yilan?

I’m curious what kinds of jobs are available in taidong,hualian, and yilan, especially the non-teaching kinds. I’ve tried googleing, but couldn’t find anything. I was wondering if anyone had any sort of idea, either from personal experience or what they’ve heard other people say.

Edit: I am aware that Taiwan as a whole is pretty shit for job opportunities and pay for foreigners.

Then don’t come.

Farming, running a restaurant ,rock breaker, gravel truck driver,
Marble excavator…

Well, I’ll be coming regardless, but I was hoping to be a little prepared for what I was in for…

Are you coming as study for your main reason, or work? There is always work for hard-working people with technology related degrees.

There are a total of 164 foreigners with work permits in Hualien, 65 in Taidong, and 152 in Yilan. Of the 164 in Hualien, 75 are missionaries or teachers, in Yilan, 100 are missionaries or teachers, and 46 are missionaries or teachers in Taidong. Taidong has four businessmen, 2 engineers, and 2 technicians. That should give you an idea of what the job market is like for non-teaching jobs in those sublime regions.

Where did you get those stats ?
I am actually curious about the numbers for whole Taiwan.
Just… curious

Here you go. Somebody has summarized it quite nicely here, with pie charts:
mykafkaesquelife.blogspot.tw/201 … aiwan.html

An option in Hua/Dong is opening a B&B. This is not without its risks or difficulties.

The market is now overly saturated in many areas of the east coast as pretty much every right-minded person with extra cash and a loathing for a 9-6 work day has run out there to open a hotel, a B&B, or some kind of inn. It’s difficult to compete and difficult even just to find a convenient and appealing plot of land, according to a friend of mine who runs one in Taitung.

Of course, there’s the bigger picture, too. The beautiful coastline is filling up with quirky inns, which isn’t an entirely bad thing as it gives a needed boost to Taitung’s economy. At the same time, the truly natural beauty is slowly disappearing underneath artificial landscapes.

So, there’s that. Teaching still seems to be the most promising route, although if you can open a unique, reasonably priced restaurant in Hualien City or a popular spot in Yilan, you could have a ton of curious customers (many form China) coming in every day.

I visited Taidong a couple of months ago, there’s still plenty of room there, it’s not built up like Ilan at all. The best spots probably go for a lot more than they used to that’s for sure, at the same time with some ingenuity or flexibility one could operate a B&B/hostel out of the smaller towns or villages.
Tourism related businesses could work, but the numbers fluctuate wildly, it seems to me to be a part-time thing or you need to be a jack of all trades. I was there after the balloon event , and Taidong city was like a ghost-town. Which wasn’t too bad actually :slight_smile: .

Wow, judging from those statistics it looks like business, engineering, and technician jobs are mostly out. Leaving out teaching, it only leaves tourism related businesses or restaurants … Well, it’s only slightly more grim than I anticipated.

Work would be the main reason, but I’m considering grabbing a student visa to a uni there, so I can personally go looking for jobs, or evaluate the job opportunities there. Plus, learning more Chinese can’t hurt.

[quote=“CemXen”]Where did you get those stats ?
I am actually curious about the numbers for whole Taiwan.
Just… curious[/quote]
Sorry didn’t see this. The numbers are here (residents):

immigration.gov.tw/ct.asp?xI … 29699&mp=1 (Look for Item 10).

And here (work permits

evta.gov.tw/content/list.asp … func_id=58

I think at least some are bilingual if you open the files. There is some information on the English sides but I think it is not complete.

What’s really interesting is that there are now 9,200+ permanent residents.

What do you take 累積申請 to mean? What time frame does “accumulated” refer to? Does 有效 on the right column indicate that’s the actual number? This figures confuse me, but I’ve never been very good at reading charts and graphs.