Non-TW Marriage ARC expired, need to get work or student ARC

I went to university in 2020 for two years of covid to get my undergraduate so I can one day get a work ARC here. But before I could apply for my student ARC covid hit and i couldn’t leave. Had to stay with visa exempt (which was fine I had savings for this- that’s why I’m studying here) but then when covid was lifted i immediately applied for marriage arc based on my wife’s 3 year work ARC (she’s not a TW citizen). Can i convert my expiring marriage ARC to a student visa in Taiwan? Can I support my wife with a student ARC or does she need to get her own work ARC and I should just do Visa runs in the mean-time maybe?

If your wife gets a new work, you can stay as her dependant.
or if you get work that will sponsor your ARC, she can become your dependant.
you can switch to student ARC, and she can be your dependant, but then she will need to get a work permit if she wants to get a job.

1 Like

As far as I know i can’t get a work permit here without a bachelors degree or prior significant work experience. So its either student or dependent right now.

I need to call NIA hotline tomorrow to ask if i could apply for a student arc in Taiwan without having to leave, as my wife is just in the US and doesn’t want to bother rn.

I came here as a student, my wife was my dependent. Later i switched to work ARC, she stayed my dependent. we didnt have to leave Taiwan for the visa change, just submit all the papers in NIA,
Your case is “reverse” but i hope it will work the same for you guys.

1 Like

Oh cool! Yes I’m afraid for reverse situation I’ll need to fly out to apply for the student visa. But will update here what I hear back otherwise from NIA, if anything.

fyi

for degree course, it is possible. but you may need to get a visa at boca.

your wife could get two six month extention. in that case, she may not need a new visa. you could also be her dependent on the extention ARC, iiuc, and the duration is counted for APRC.

1 Like

I am not so sure i understand this, the time my wife spent as my dependant didnt count towards APRC.

are you sure that it wasn’t she didn’t meet the financial requirement, but the years as a dependent on the extension ARC were not counted?

my wife didnt work, i got my aprc after 5 years of work, and NIA told me that after 5 years of me having APRC she can apply.

without financial requirement.

if she’ve already stayed for 5 years and meets the financial requirment, she doesn’t need to wait.

1 Like

Oh wow I’ll give boca a call then! Will update here.

1 Like