Non TW stocks

I kicked myself over this one several times…

I bought it in September/October Time at 13.72, then saw it drop to 11 something. Sold it because it had lost its renewal of contracts. Thought, oh, well, lost 100 buxx. Never mind.

Next time I checked it was at 21 dollars with a generous dividend paid out in January.

I cried.

Still, the jury’s out on this one… Comments?

Check the NAT discussion board on Yahoo! It’s not too bad. Post your answers here, as I am still watching this one.

Kenneth

Buying stocks on markets outside TW? Discuss below, please.

[quote=“KenTaiwan98”]I kicked myself over this one several times…

I bought it in September/October Time at 13.72, then saw it drop to 11 something. Sold it because it had lost its renewal of contracts. Thought, oh, well, lost 100 buxx. Never mind.

Next time I checked it was at 21 dollars with a generous dividend paid out in January.

I cried.

Still, the jury’s out on this one… Comments?

Check the NAT discussion board on Yahoo! It’s not too bad. Post your answers here, as I am still watching this one.

Kenneth[/quote]
Someone on the Yahoo board mentioned this site (rather lightweight) today:
scandicamerican.com/

I bought in despite the uncertainty, and made a buck a share today. The company announced that shareholders had voted to stay in business; given that the tanker market is booming right now, I’m not surprised. Still, there is a lot of risk since nobody knows what the company will do after October.

The company could (a) lease the tankers to another company; (b) do one-shot rentals; © get absorbed by another tanker firm; (d) who knows?

I guess I’ll wait and see. The current high dividends do appear to be a matter of luck thanks to oil price and demand right now; dividend history shows they were about a quarter of the current rate. So if oil demand or tanker demand drop (recession or new construction), the stock will become a dog quickly.

What’s the trading volume for that stock?

Thinly traded stocks can have prices all over teh place.

[quote=“Mr He”]What’s the trading volume for that stock?
Thinly traded stocks can have prices all over teh place.[/quote]
(Assuming you meant NAT from my post above yours)
finance.yahoo.com/q?s=NAT
Avg Vol (3m): 185,158

I just bought IDCC in the US mkt yesterday at 16.4 — Wish me luck.

Oh well, just a word of warning when it comes to volatile stocks.

I don’t get why their PE is so low. Does the world suffer from overcapacity of oil tankers?

[quote=“Mr He”]Oh well, just a word of warning when it comes to volatile stocks.

I don’t get why their PE is so low. Does the world suffer from overcapacity of oil tankers?[/quote]
[Shipping] market volatility and corporate-future uncertainty, mostly. At the moment, oil-tanker rental rates are sky-high; their historical dividend is about 1/4 of what it is now. Also, their long-term lease contract is expiring in October; the shareholders had to vote to continue the corporation a few weeks ago, and there is no sign of what the company will do once the lease finishes in October. The link I provided has a general rundown (not sure who put the site up, so be wary of the information on it). Also, the bank loan terms for their tankers specified that the bank must approve dividend payouts during the last two quarters of the loan – i.e., the next two quarterly dividends might not be paid.

OTOH, in less than a week I’ve made more than 10%. :slight_smile: Pure luck, I know.

Edited Monday evening to note: now it’s up 18%. :astonished:

Ok, I got nailed on NAT today. The Saudi/OPEC cut means less oil will be getting shipped, so NAT dropped around 5%. Still nicely up, though, netted around 12% in a week. I guess I’ll bail tomorrow, since I see bad unemployment numbers and a general market drop coming later in the week; I can always rebuy. Yes, it was 99% luck – but hey, I’ll take what I can get. :slight_smile:

Urf. Well, NAT is now well over $33, up about 8% so far today.

No visible news. I guess the high dividend has caught someone’s attention.