Non-White and Asexual

Hello,

I am new here to Forumosa. I hope this topic wasn’t already discussed?

Well to the point, I’ve read many articles/posts/books about the different treatments and advantages/disadvantages of race in Asia (or many foreign countries). And well, I am under the impression that White privilege even exist outside of the United States. So personally speaking, I am an Asian American from the United States. Now throw in Asexual as another identity–how does all of it (being Asian American and Asexual) fare to the perception of Taiwanese LGBTQIA community? Other questions are:

-Will I be attractive (physically and socially) enough? (to be approachable)
-Is Asexuality, the concept of it, well understood?

And the reason why I used ‘Non-White’ is because I could probably pass for other races with the exclusion of White.

Thanks in advance!

Helpful and informative links on Asexuality:

asexuality.org/home/overview.html

asexualityarchive.com/

They’re much more hung up on skin color in East Asia than in America. So racist they don’t even realize it.

I would not call it “white privilege” though (such a Western-colonial thing to do, ie transpose our definitions onto other cultures). Its more like “light privilege”, ie how light your skin=how beautiful you are (and the opposite).

What sort of Asian? East Asian? If so, everyone will think you are Taiwanese and will be shocked if you are not fluent in mandarin. Check out “ABC” threads in this forum.

[quote]-Will I be attractive (physically and socially) enough?
[/quote]

Are you ugly? Got a picture? How are we supposed to know that.

I lived in San Francisco for 3 years and still don’t understand it. So chances are…no.

Enough for what? Certainly your “race” (=skin colour) will have some effect on how you are perceived by others, but it’s hardly going to be a big deal. Your ‘attractiveness’, or lack of it, depends on who you are as a person.

Yes, if you fit the standard definition. Taiwanese people generally follow a ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’ policy regarding one’s sexuality - unless, of course, you’re talking about a close relationship, in which case you might need to spell it out when the time is right.

Hmmm…asexuality isn’t really understood much. Like, I think it is hard if you were super attractive but the person that were into you couldn’t do much with their attraction to you. I am sure there are ways around it. How did it go back home?

Enough for what? Certainly your “race” (=skin colour) will have some effect on how you are perceived by others, but it’s hardly going to be a big deal. Your ‘attractiveness’, or lack of it, depends on who you are as a person.

Yes, if you fit the standard definition. Taiwanese people generally follow a ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’ policy regarding one’s sexuality - unless, of course, you’re talking about a close relationship, in which case you might need to spell it out when the time is right.[/quote]

Enough as in…to talk to or be drawn by. But I really like your answer! Thank you.

They’re much more hung up on skin color in East Asia than in America. So racist they don’t even realize it.

I would not call it “white privilege” though (such a Western-colonial thing to do, ie transpose our definitions onto other cultures). Its more like “light privilege”, ie how light your skin=how beautiful you are (and the opposite).

What sort of Asian? East Asian? If so, everyone will think you are Taiwanese and will be shocked if you are not fluent in Mandarin. Check out “ABC” threads in this forum.

[quote]-Will I be attractive (physically and socially) enough?
[/quote]

Are you ugly? Got a picture? How are we supposed to know that.

I lived in San Francisco for 3 years and still don’t understand it. So chances are…no.[/quote]

Boo…I wrote quite a long and thoughtful response, but I don’t think it went through. Nevertheless, thank you for your response. I was trying to be holistic and non-cultural relative as possible with my thoughts and words–in response to white privilege as light privilege.

Aha, I see. The LGBTQIA community back home? Well, it’s been good for Minnesota lately! But Asexuality here is still not all understood as in Taiwan, as you say. And yes, there should be ways around it. Thank you for the encouragement.

[quote=“heartsutra”]Hello,

Well to the point, I’ve read many articles/posts/books about the different treatments and advantages/disadvantages of race in Asia (or many foreign countries). And well, I am under the impression that White privilege even exist outside of the United States. So personally speaking, I am an Asian American from the United States. Now throw in Asexual as another identity–how does all of it (being Asian American and Asexual) fare to the perception of Taiwanese LGBTQIA community? Other questions are:

-Will I be attractive (physically and socially) enough?
-Does Asexuality, the concept of it, well understood?

And the reason why I used ‘Non-White’ is because I could probably pass for other races with the exclusion of White.

Thanks in advance![/quote]

I thought asexual means having no sexual interest?

[quote=“headhonchoII”][quote=“heartsutra”]Hello,

I thought asexual means having no sexual interest?[/quote]

Hmm…not exactly. Sexual interest can certainly take after in a relationship. Asexual, to put simple, means to be attracted to people non-sexually. So emotions/spirituality/personal goals/ pleasing partner and many other elements affect the sexual attraction.

I think that’s true with pretty much everyone after the age of 30 or so.

A lot of the tomboys here do not like being touched at all. I don’t know if they don’t like it, or if they think they have to play a certain role and follow the trends here. Like stone butches.

[quote=“heartsutra”][quote=“headhonchoII”][quote=“heartsutra”]Hello,

I thought asexual means having no sexual interest?[/quote]

Hmm…not exactly. Sexual interest can certainly take after in a relationship. Asexual, to put simple, means to be attracted to people non-sexually. So emotions/spirituality/personal goals/ pleasing partner and many other elements affect the sexual attraction.[/quote]

So you mean a normal long-term relationship then? :eh:

[[quote=“headhonchoII”] So you mean a normal long-term relationship then? :eh:[/quote]

Mm…I am not sure what a normal long-term relationship is. I can’t really explain enough because there many types of Asexuals and I don’t feel at liberty to speak for others. But actually, to go back on your initial question, there are actually some identified asexuals who may not experience any desire for sexual activity whatsoever.

For me, however, if normal long-term relationships are without sexual arousal from pure or heavy-bent physicality then…yes, like a long-term relationship.

Not to sound overly insensitive, but if you cannot actually define the identity in a way to make others understand it, not sure you can expect the majority of Taiwanese to understand a very recent, non-defined term from another culture.

But like others said, its a very don’t ask don’t tell culture. Taipei also has every kind of identity, conceivable, defineable, or not, so you’ll probably do just fine.

Not to sound overly insensitive, but if you cannot actually define the identity in a way to make others understand it, not sure you can expect the majority of Taiwanese to understand a very recent, non-defined term from another culture.

But like others said, its a very don’t ask don’t tell culture. Taipei also has every kind of identity, conceivable, defineable, or not, so you’ll probably do just fine.[/quote]

Like any other LGBTQIA identity, there is never enough to explain–it’s not just black or white. And so that’s where I don’t feel comfortable. I mean, at least in my opinion. Though, I did define it simply. Translation and understanding it, in this case, is up to the receiving end because I understand it can be a complex spectrum.

Thanks! I think I’ll be fine, too. (:

Question: are you concerned about the implications of a romantic relationship, or general interaction in society?

I am concerned about both. But the topic is mostly about general interaction in the general/LGBTQIA society on Asexuality and being Asian American. What are your thoughts?

Can we come back to you with a thesis in about two years?
Have you thought about applying for a masters on the subject here? :slight_smile:

[quote=“headhonchoII”]Can we come back to you with a thesis in about two years?
Have you thought about applying for a masters on the subject here? :slight_smile:[/quote]

I don’t get sarcasm too well. But if I offended you in any way, I apologize. I wish to do everything in good faith. Also, I don’t think I’ll apply for a master’s on the subject, though I really do wish there was more information about it.

Thank you for your time.

I am concerned about both. But the topic is mostly about general interaction in the general/LGBTQIA society on Asexuality and being Asian American. What are your thoughts?[/quote]

I won’t speak past society in general. On one hand I think you’ll have to do a lot of explaining and get a lot of incredulous reactions, perhaps in a rather unabashed, forthright way that you might not see at home. You’ll probably get a lot of understanding as well. Maybe that would be the same anywhere. This is a very conservative society in some ways, yet very open in others. Not a great help I guess.