Noob motorbike turn left question

So I’ve been riding around, going in the little box to turn left on main roads, but yesterday I came to turn left on this main road and there was no little box.

How are you supposed to know ahead of time whether there will be a box you need to use to turn left, or that you need to be in the left hand lane?

I know there’s the blue sign to watch out for, but it doesn’t seem to appear every time on every road it should be on. Also it feels like in this instance, by the time you didn’t see it, it’s too late and you’re in the wrong lane anyway,

CleanShot 2024-04-14 at 17.35.32

This is one of the questions on the computer based tests, isn’t it

If it isnt there, two step left turn is optional. It isn’t on all the roads where it would be useful, because the people in charge of the infrastructure are totally incompetent. Same reason the lights aren’t timed to the speed limit, and there are curvy mountain roads with dashed yellow lines, etc.

Just do the safe thing and take the two step turn that you didn’t need to take. What is more annoying is when there is a sign covered by a tree and the safe thing to do is risk a ticket by turning like a grown up

2 Likes

This is near our Taipei office, I seldon use a scooter there but sometime drive (car) up there. Anyways, this road if your going South past Q square ends, there is box on the road on the left area (I see it on your maps photo) and if I remember if your in the box you must turn left (I think going strait is not an option). Scooters are no allowed in front on ChungHsiao road, so if somehow do into side of station do not exit out on front (there is police on foot stopping scooters)

2 Likes

Blue circular sign.

If there is no blue sign, then a two-step left turn is not required.

If the left-most lane allows scooters, then it is generally safe to assume that it also allows direct left turns. However, the blue sign is still the ultimate authority. When in doubt, always look for the blue sign.

1 Like

Thanks, so is it legal to wait in an area that doesn’t have a dedicated box?

In this case here would I drive behind the zebra crossing and wait in front of the other bikes?

As long as you can stop in a spot that doesn’t affect traffic then it is okay. However, it seems like there isn’t enough space there to do that. Also you’re not allowed to touch the crosswalk so you’re not allowed to drive over to get into the spot in-between the stop line and the crosswalk.

2 Likes

You need to wait in front of the zebra crossing, not behind it. Meaning, you can’t drive over the crossing to get to your waiting spot.

There doesn’t seem to be a safe place in this intersection for a two-step left turn.

1 Like

I memorize those turns downtown. Linsen N Rd and Minchuan is my favorite.

Taking a look at the approach to that intersection, it looks pretty clear that there is a dedicated left turn that accommodates scooter.

For the sake of argument, i still say if you’re on the far right and get to where to box would be but find no box, then don’t try to make the left turn directly.

There is actually space behind the zebra. If a cop tries to give you a ticket explain the situation. In my experience, the cops are rarely interested anyways.

Or, you could just drive straight through and take a few extra minutes to get back on track. Also safer, if not the way things are done here.

Shouldn’t be an issue more than once on your regular routes, right?

Looking at it again you can make a direct left turn there. Actually can even see it on the street view. Just be careful of all the cars merging over or car or scooters making dangerous overtakes when turning.

The two inner lanes are for direct left turns and there is no “no motorcycles allowed” on the road section there so it is okay to make a direct left turn.

Be careful though as before the previous junction the inner most straight lane bans motorcycles so you will have to merge after the junction.