Not enjoying maoman's moderating

I’m kind of tired of making sensible posts only to have them ridiculed or argued by Maoman before he immediately locks the thread so no more discussion can take place. This happened in the temp thread about comments in the Happy Easter thread, again in the temp thread about temporarily keeping snapping turtles until dumping them, and before that in a thread about stray cats.

I’m giving you honest feedback here: it feels like sensible posts that go against anything that Maoman is passionate about are removed and eventually deleted. I don’t say that out of anger or pettiness; it’s just very apparent in my recent experience posting here. If I can’t make sensible posts or raise sensible questions if they go against the site owner’s beliefs, then why post here at all?

I’m not in a bad mood, not angry, just feeling less and less like discussing anything on here. But to remove my question about whether it wouldn’t be better not to support a trade in animals that will later be discarded (by the OP’s own later admission) and say that I stomped on him is erroneous and opinionated. It was a calm, helpful, sensible question (unlike the OP’s responses to it). My posts really don’t get much better than that one. So . . .

1 Like

[quote=“Stray Dog”]I’m kind of tired of making sensible posts only to have them ridiculed or argued by Maoman before he immediately locks the thread so no more discussion can take place. This happened in the temp thread about comments in the Happy Easter thread, again in the temp thread about temporarily keeping snapping turtles until dumping them, and before that in a thread about stray cats.

I’m giving you honest feedback here: it feels like sensible posts that go against anything that Maoman is passionate about are removed and eventually deleted. I don’t say that out of anger or pettiness; it’s just very apparent in my recent experience posting here. If I can’t make sensible posts or raise sensible questions if they go against the site owner’s beliefs, then why post here at all?

I’m not in a bad mood, not angry, just feeling less and less like discussing anything on here. But to remove my question about whether it wouldn’t be better not to support a trade in animals that will later be discarded (by the OP’s own later admission) and say that I stomped on him is erroneous and opinionated. It was a calm, helpful, sensible question (unlike the OP’s responses to it). My posts really don’t get much better than that one. So . . .[/quote]
I didn’t say YOU stomped on him, I said he got stomped on. And EYE didn’t temp your post, although I did suggest that the thread needed cleaning up. Talk to the moderator. If he feels that that post is ok, I’m happy to move it out of temp to pets and animals.

WRT the Easter thread, you were being a jerk. People were wishing each other a Happy Easter, and you were making a “thing” out of it. Not EVERYTHING needs to be a topic for a soapbox. Sometimes people just want to say Happy Easter without starting a discussion where they have to defend their beliefs. If you don’t understand that, I don’t know what to say.

WRT temping the things that I am passionate about, can you give me an example? It’s hard to defend against vague accusations. (I’m pretty sure I didn’t moderate anything about stray cats, but I could be wrong.)

Calling people “a jerk” is not only childish, but against the rules . . . well, the rules for everyone but you, right?

Just because my opinion on religion is different to yours doesn’t make it worthy of insult. I gave my honest, deep-felt opinion on that thread, and you ridiculed it because it threatened your beliefs.

I’m sure you remember the thread where the OP threatened to violently rape an old lady, and in which you deleted the post from someone suggesting the same for the OP. It just so happened that the woman who was the object of the threat just happened to be a cat feeder, who we all know you don’t get along with.

You should take a look at the business owners who post here and how they respond to complaints—if you want to keep customers. Dismissing complaints with insults gives the impression that you care more about control than you do quality.

Again, I’m not angry, but I’m guessing from your response that you are. Maybe you should delete the feedback forum then. It has value, but only if the comments are taken on board.

[quote=“Stray Dog”]Calling people “a jerk” is not only childish, but against the rules . . . well, the rules for everyone but you, right?

Just because my opinion on religion is different to yours doesn’t make it worthy of insult. I gave my honest, deep-felt opinion on that thread, and you ridiculed it because it threatened your beliefs.

I’m sure you remember the thread where the OP threatened to violently rape an old lady, and in which you deleted the post from someone suggesting the same for the OP. It just so happened that the woman who was the object of the threat just happened to be a cat feeder, who we all know you don’t get along with.

You should take a look at the business owners who post here and how they respond to complaints—if you want to keep customers. Dismissing complaints with insults gives the impression that you care more about control than you do quality.

Again, I’m not angry, but I’m guessing from your response that you are. Maybe you should delete the feedback forum then. It has value, but only if the comments are taken on board.[/quote]

I appreciate that for better or worse, I am “the establishment” here. I know it’s not a level playing field, and I’m sorry about that. Sean, I don’t think you’re a jerk in general, but I think you were being a jerk at that point in time. All of us act like jerks from time to time, even if that isn’t the label that best describes our everyday selves. Your point of view wasn’t being stifled. You were told you were welcome to express your views in other threads, but to leave well enough alone in that one.

This isn’t the first time where we’ve had to “channel” discussions like that. Circumcision proved to be such a lively topic that we have THREE threads for the topic; one in Parenting, where parents can ask about the procedure, one in D&R, where people can talk about the sexual side of things, and another in health and fitness, where people can talk about the health aspect of things. I asked people to leave parents alone in the parenting thread - and I suspended people who didn’t respond to the warnings. There are appropriate places to make your point. If a moderator tells a poster to do it there, that’s not censorship, that’s management. Believe it or not, we try or best to accomodate everyone.

Yes, I remember the thread where the OP threatened to violently rape an old lady. Except I didn’t read it that way, nor did the moderator. The OP said he’d “been really resisting the urge to go tear the old lady (who’d been feeding the stray cats in his lane) a new one.” I took that to be a figurative description and not a literal one, and if you’d like to embarrass yourself, I’d be happy to put up a poll asking people if they thought it was a literal or a figurative description. At any rate, it was a judgment call, and when our judgment differs from yours, how can you ask us to be true to anything but our own convictions? I surely would not expect you to run any of your organizations on my suggestions, if they ran against your better judgment.

Got to run. I’ll post more later.

I asked why my post was removed, and you said because he got stomped on. You say you didn’t temp my post, but you gave me the reason why it was temped, stating that you didn’t think that a guy saying he will dump animals will dump animals.

You’re wrong. I didn’t post in the Easter thread. I joined in the temped discussion about why some people find religious imagery unsavoury. You insulted me (again) and then immediately locked the thread (again) to avoid further response. It was a temp discussion thread. It seemed to me that you did not like people with an opposing view on religion having a say.

Embarrass myself? Maoman, I really think you should be responding more professionally than that, but, as you said, you’re a rule unto yourself. Here’s the point, because I think it’s clear you missed it: Did you think the poster who said he would ram something up the OP’s arse was being anything other than figurative? Your arguments so far would indicate that you did. Will you be polling that one?

You removed the figurative description that went against your own bias and kept the one that supported it. That’s incredibly wrong, and you can’t smoke screen that by making more insults.

It’s kind of bullyish, don’t you think, to use your administrative privileges to demean and cover up anyone’s opinion if it doesn’t agree with yours? It’s your site; I guess you can do what you want. But that’s not a great way of doing business.

That’s my feedback, for what it’s worth.

I don’t think accusing someone finding a new home for their pets irresponsible is a sensible post. :2cents: Give business to animal breeders maybe, but not finding a new home when they could have abandoned them.

Are you referring to this:

If you do, then I think we disagree on what being responsible for an animal means. He says he doesn’t take his animals with him when he goes. He hands over responsibility. And his statement about them being dumped in a river was clearly flippant in regard to their wellbeing. Or have I missed something?

My supposition was proven correct when he later admits he will dump them in the wild next time he leaves.

Maoman,

I think this is one of those threads better left ignored. Stray dog posts like a chess player plays a game of chess. When he posts something, his focus isn’t on delivering a good opinion. He’s two or three moves ahead anticipating your response. In fact, most of his posts in controversial threads are baits. He then sits patiently waiting for you to slip and make a slight error in semantics. He then refuses to see that there are other interpretations for what you wrote aside from his own skewed interpretation and he just keeps harping on and on with general accusations that he simply can’t back up. If you ask him to back his shit up, he will say something like “It’s all there, I won’t bother cutting and pasting.” His favorite line is this empty claim “Thanks for proving my point!”

As far as he’s concerned, you are using your privileges as an admin to cover evidence and to stifle discussion. He’s attacking your integrity, and as usual, he’s thinking two posts ahead. He actually wants you to tell him to fuck off so that he can just harp on and on about your lack of professionalism in a subsequent response. It’s a game to him but it’s only a game if you acknowledge his bullshit and play along. :2cents:

Me, I have reduced him to the third person at the very best. I will never address that person directly again.

By the way, I know exactly where the line is between discussing a post and discussing a poster. But in this case, the problem isn’t in the posts. The problem is the person writing them, in my opinion.

YMMV

There is no connotation of rape or sexual assault involved with declaring that one would like to “rip someone a new one”. It is one of those bleached expressions that no longer carries its original meaning, though it is not really suitable for polite company. It simply means that one is extremely angry with the person in question. Unless uttered very directly in a dark bar after a number of drinks, no one would take this as a credible threat of violence.

Is it responsible to adopt animals at all in a country like Taiwan, where one might be creamed by a bus tomorrow morning and die, leaving them to an uncertain fate? No one can see the future, and no one can know what is in the mind or intentions of another person.

Maybe I’m going off on a tangent here but how exactly does “tear her a new one” insinuate anal rape anyway? Doesn’t “she” already have one there?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tear%20you%20a%20new%20one

[quote=“RobinTaiwan”]Maoman,

I think this is one of those threads better left ignored. Stray dog posts like a chess player plays a game of chess. When he posts something, his focus isn’t on delivering a good opinion. He’s two or three moves ahead anticipating your response. In fact, most of his posts in controversial threads are baits. He then sits patiently waiting for you to slip and make a slight error is semantics. He then refuses to see that there are other interpretations for what you wrote aside from his own skewed interpretation and he just keeps harping on and on with general accusations that he simply can’t back up. If you ask him to back his shit up, he will say something like “It’s all there, I won’t bother cutting and pasting.” His favorite line is this empty claim “Thanks for proving my point!”

As far as he’s concerned, you are using your privileges as an admin to cover evidence and to stifle discussion. He’s attacking your integrity, and as usual, he’s thinking two posts ahead. He actually wants you to tell him to fuck off so that he can just harp on and on about your lack of professionalism in a subsequent response. It’s a game to him but it’s only a game if you acknoledge his bullshit and play along. :2cents:

Me, I have reduced him to the third person at the very best. I will never address that person directly again.

By the way, I know exactly where the line is between discussing a post and discussing a poster. But in this case, the problem isn’t in the posts. The problem is the person writing them, in my opinion.

YMMV[/quote]

Robin, you really, really do come to incredibly erroneous conclusions. If I’ve pointed out the holes in your arguments, then you can accept it or not (or, in your case, choose to ignore me and refer to me in the third person—of course, you really are free to behave any way you want. I am genuinely flattered that you hold my debate skills in such high regard, but the truth is I’m not that proficient—I’m just more skilled than you.

FWIW, there have been several times when I thought you were going to give me a tough time, and I was very surprised when you didn’t spot the opportunity. If it weren’t for your always losing your temper, I actually would enjoy our discussions, and I think you would do better. I suspect you’re not actually angry with me, but with yourself, which is why I never take it personally.

Your analysis of my debating style was (sorry to say!) well off the mark, but, as I said above, I think it’s important to you to believe that you were beaten by a pro. The truth is—and I’m being completely honest here—I (and I’m sure many others) don’t have a ‘game plan’ here. I just react to what I read and then I post. Basically, I speak honestly, so I can wing it. I’d love to accept the compliment of being a master planner, but anyone who knows me in real life would point out your error.

More on topic now: If you think it’s cool for Maoman to insult people and then lock threads so that person can’t even point out why a site owner shouldn’t keep doing that, then that’s honestly fine. You are at liberty to do that. I will disagree, but that’s really OK.

I’ll stop there, because you don’t read my posts anyway, right? :wink:

[quote=“ironlady”]There is no connotation of rape or sexual assault involved with declaring that one would like to “rip someone a new one”. It is one of those bleached expressions that no longer carries its original meaning, though it is not really suitable for polite company. It simply means that one is extremely angry with the person in question. Unless uttered very directly in a dark bar after a number of drinks, no one would take this as a credible threat of violence.

Is it responsible to adopt animals at all in a country like Taiwan, where one might be creamed by a bus tomorrow morning and die, leaving them to an uncertain fate? No one can see the future, and no one can know what is in the mind or intentions of another person.[/quote]

Hi, ironlady. Many thanks for your input on idiom definitions. But deciding whether the idiom is threatening or not is moot because the point is that a similar idiom supporting an opposing point of view was treated differently. I’m guessing you haven’t read through the thread, as it’s clearly stated, so I’m just bringing you up to speed. As you pointed out though, it does indeed have threatening overtones. Just out of interest, do you think it’s something that should be written on a public forum about a lady who feeds stray cats?

Re. adopting animals when one could be killed tomorrow . . . I’ll let you debate that with others who are interested in that kind of thing.

[quote=“navillus”]Maybe I’m going off on a tangent here but how exactly does “tear her a new one” insinuate anal rape anyway? Doesn’t “she” already have one there?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tear%20you%20a%20new%20one[/quote]

Good point. Well researched. I concede that one. Please amend my previous posts to reflect that the OP of that thread didn’t want to violently rape the old lady, but instead physically or verbally beat the living fuck out of her.

I take full responsibility for that. Whilst I am in full agreement with the objections raised by concerned posters, the OP was asking about where to buy these turtles. Nothing more, nothing less. If people take umbrage with the keeping and fostering of alien species, then that is a worthy topic which needs its own thread.

What is important is that we display objectivity: believe that intentions are noble and respect the moral integrity of our fellow posters. Until such time as they contradict that, they shall be considered to be honest in their motivations.

[quote=“Stray Dog”]I’m kind of tired of making sensible posts only to have them ridiculed or argued by Maoman before he immediately locks the thread so no more discussion can take place. This happened in the temp thread about comments in the Happy Easter thread, again in the temp thread about temporarily keeping snapping turtles until dumping them, and before that in a thread about stray cats.

I’m not in a bad mood, not angry, just feeling less and less like discussing anything on here. But to remove my question about whether it wouldn’t be better not to support a trade in animals that will later be discarded (by the OP’s own later admission) and say that I stomped on him is erroneous and opinionated. It was a calm, helpful, sensible question (unlike the OP’s responses to it). My posts really don’t get much better than that one. So . . .[/quote]

Without having a stake in this beyond that of an interested observer, I think it’s kind of ironic. In my opinion, Stray Dog, lots of people post on dealing with nasty mutts and you give them "the law"on how that should be, even going so far as to say that they should step back and think it is “their fault” if a dog bites them because they should know how to deal with dogs, as we are the dominant species. In this case, Maoman is trying to dominate you on the flob for being a bad dog. Shouldn’t you just accept his dominant status? Then you could avoid conflict, and we could all run as an efficient pack. Stop trying to fight the natural order of things with your arrogant ways! Accept reality, dog! :laughing:

I take full responsibility for that. Whilst I am in full agreement with the objections raised by concerned posters, the OP was asking about where to buy these turtles. Nothing more, nothing less. If people take umbrage with the keeping and fostering of alien species, then that is a worthy topic which needs its own thread.

What is important is that we display objectivity: believe that intentions are noble and respect the moral integrity of our fellow posters. Until such time as they contradict that, they shall be considered to be honest in their motivations.[/quote]

I agree. He said he can’t take them with him. I asked if it might not be better to not do that again. Asked. Yet you say I’m taking umbrage. If we’re only allowed to directly answer a question without offering other suggestions, then make that a rule, be consistent . . . and wave good-bye to a vast majority of the potential posts on here. Please go into my thread about getting a better dog and delete the off-topic posts—made by admins and mods, no less.

The point of this whole thread is the bias that many others have tried to bring attention to. You’ve just highlighted that. If you want to stifle suggestions that don’t directly respond to a post, then do the same for off-topic mutterings.

A suggestion is a statement that’s made once, not a thread-long argument.

I think Jimipresley’s moderation decision on the turtle thread was a poor one.

[quote=“BigJohn”][quote=“Stray Dog”]I’m kind of tired of making sensible posts only to have them ridiculed or argued by Maoman before he immediately locks the thread so no more discussion can take place. This happened in the temp thread about comments in the Happy Easter thread, again in the temp thread about temporarily keeping snapping turtles until dumping them, and before that in a thread about stray cats.

Without having a stake in this beyond that of an interested observer, I think it’s kind of ironic. In my opinion, Stray Dog, lots of people post on dealing with nasty mutts and you give them "the law"on how that should be, even going so far as to say that they should step back and think it is “their fault” if a dog bites them because they should know how to deal with dogs, as we are the dominant species. In this case, Maoman is trying to dominate you on the flob for being a bad dog. Shouldn’t you just accept his dominant status? Then you could avoid conflict, and we could all run as an efficient pack. Stop trying to fight the natural order of things with your arrogant ways! Accept reality, dog! :laughing:[/quote]

One of the major observations I have come to at my ripe middle age is how people tend to project insults onto others that betray their own faults. This can be seen most directly in those who accuse others of being arrogant or condescending—both or which are, of course, arrogant and condescending statements to make.

If it’s wrong to point out bad business practices, again, be consistent; go into all the threads about local establishments and use strange logic to try and get people to not point out the poor customer service they might have received. Then you should of course call to have the feedback forum removed, since feedback is neither appreciated nor even actually wanted.

Glad you pay attention (kind of) to my posts on pack leadership though.

Pray tell.

You’re wrong. I didn’t post in the Easter thread. I joined in the temped discussion about why some people find religious imagery unsavoury. You insulted me (again) and then immediately locked the thread (again) to avoid further response. It was a temp discussion thread. It seemed to me that you did not like people with an opposing view on religion having a say.[/quote]

Sorry, Sean. I kind of remember now. You were saying that you felt frightened by religious imagery, and I suggested that the R&S forum was probably not a good place for you to be hanging out, is that right?

Threads in temp routinely get locked when I feel that anything substantial to be said has already been said, and if I see the general tone going downhill.

Embarrass myself? Maoman, I really think you should be responding more professionally than that, but, as you said, you’re a rule unto yourself. Here’s the point, because I think it’s clear you missed it: Did you think the poster who said he would ram something up the OP’s arse was being anything other than figurative? Your arguments so far would indicate that you did.[/quote]There’s a couple of differences. The OP was restraining the urge, the second poster was just threatening. The OP was referring to somebody not on the boards, so it would be impossible for her to feel threatened by what was written here. The second poster was getting personally threatening to a fellow Forumosan. That’s not kosher.

I’m not covering up anyone’s opinion. You’ll find that if you post in Feedback, pretty much everything will stay, as long as it’s on topic and not rude or obscene.

Anyway, as I said before, I know it’s not a level playing field, and that puts you at a disadvantage. FWIW, All opinions and feedback is valuable to me, and I appreciate the time you took to write express yours tonight. I can’t please everyone, but c’est la vie.