Not-so Secret Map of China in Taipei Streets

We all live in a Ding.

Found this info also on web.

"Wow, so many things to talk about from this article, but I’ll probably start with the obvious: It’s generally correct that street names can be mapped to their relative locations in China, but there are exceptions everywhere, with the most glaring one being Nanjing E/W road.

But we also find Tonghua St. in the SE when the real one is in the NE; or Chengde Rd. in the NW when the real one is in the NE. There are also a bunch of SE coast related locations (Fuzhou, Xiamen, Ningbo, Quanzhou, Tingzhou, etc) on the SW instead of SE. So where it’s mostly true for a lot of street names, do relying on it entirely.

During the Japanese era, Taipei’s streets weren’t even given a formal name, but the city was divided into neighborhoods known as ding (町)

In fact, this system is still used in Taiwan, albeit you don’t see it in every day life. Every location has two addresses – one based on the street, and one based on dividing land into smaller and smaller units. We usually use the former for just about everything, and it’s the easier method for delivery, but if you look at any ID card, you’ll see a part of it that says “XX 里 OO 鄰”. These are subdivisions under 區 that would correspond to the Japanese 町 and 丁目, and you can still pinpoint a residence by using AA 區 BB 里 CC 鄰 DD 號, and skipping roads altogether. The latter system is mostly used when voting, since it’s easier to assign voting locations through this method.

To “promote the ethnic Chinese spirit” in names such as Zhonghua Road, Xinyi road, or Heping road; to “spread the three principles of the people” in Sanmin Road, Minzu Road, Minsheng Road

These roads make of the primary east-west thoroughfares n Taipei. From north to south they are first Minzu (民族), Minquan (民權), and Minsheng (民生), in order of the three principles. Skipping by Nanjing Rd., it is followed by the eight virtues, in pairs and in order: 忠孝 (Zhongxiao), 仁愛 (Renai), 信義 (Xinyi) and 和平 (Heping).

Taipei almost didn’t have a Zhongzheng road

While there isn’t one in central Taipei, a related name Jieshou Rd. (介壽路) was prominently at the center. Jieshou is claimed to have beginnings unrelated to CKS, but since it shares the first word with Chiang (the “Kai” in Chiang Kai-Shek), it’s often considered not-so-subtle asskissing, wishing a long life on Chiang.

The 介壽路 in Taipei is short, but right in front of the Presidential Office, so unsurprisingly it’s the focus of intense dissent. As such, it was renamed Ketagalan Blvd. in 1996."

2 Likes

Thought this was interesting or at least good trivia. Guess no one else did.

I didn’t see the topic. I wasn’t as big a poster back then as now.

It is interesting, but I guess I missed it the first time.