Not wanting to work Kindy

Hey guys… Sorry if this echos any previous threads but in all honesty I’ve done a search and the info is either lacking… thread goes off topic (when does it ever stay on topic!!) or the info is out-dated/not there…

So, basically I am currently teaching both in a langauge school (f/t) and kindy (p/t) and I am racking in about 90,000NT$ - however I do work 6 days a week…

I am getting tired with the kindy work and if I don’t resign my salary will drop to around 65,000NT$, I know this in-itself is a very good salary but i have become used to living on 90,000NT$…and I am hoping to buy a small place of my own…

While searching the net I have found that most if not all part-time morning jobs are for kindy… has or does anyone work (teach) p/t morning thats not kindy? If so how did you find it?

If I can’t I’m gonna have to settle for 65,000NT$ but what sort of life will this have me? Has anyone bought a place of their own on such a salary?? I am single so don’t have two incomes coming in…

Thanks

1st point - Assuming you are a foreigner and only on an ARC, i think you’d have problems buying a place on your own. This is based on the fact that my so and i are buying a place and they would only take into consideration her salary.

2nd point - She is on considerably less than 65k and she managed to get a mortgage for 6m, so yes it can be done but on her salary alone the repayments would cripple her.

Im in the process of applying for permanent residency and an open work permit…

will this help?

Any advice on PT morning work?

I guess that permanent residency would give you the same rights as a native.

Sorry no experience of teaching here at all.

OK, thanks, can anyone else help??

[quote=“Robin-Hood”]
I am getting tired with the kindy work and if I don’t resign my salary will drop to around 65,000NT$, I know this in-itself is a very good salary but I have become used to living on 90,000NT$…and I am hoping to buy a small place of my own…

While searching the net I have found that most if not all part-time morning jobs are for kindy… has or does anyone work (teach) p/t morning thats not kindy? If so how did you find it?

If I can’t I’m gonna have to settle for 65,000NT$ but what sort of life will this have me? Has anyone bought a place of their own on such a salary?? I am single so don’t have two incomes coming in…

Thanks[/quote]

I think a lot depends on where you are and your habits. Obviously downtown in Taipei will be harder to live on that kind of money than elsewhere.

The obvious kindy alternative is privates. Yes, daytime privates are much fewer and further between, but they exist. College students, young adults and home makers more often have daytime hours free. Then there are the company teaching options.

Is anyone else starting to think that unless you wana teach kindy you can forget making big bucks???

It sux for the over 40’s as it’s hard to get employed teaching kindy at my age…

Yes, u;re right. If you don’t want to teah kindy you have 2 options - either leave Taiwan or accept that you’ll never earn about 65,000NT$ a month!

and 65,000 NT per month is twice more than the average income here in Taiwan. I don’t know what it wrong with that.

I thought teaching kindy was illegal. Not sure.

I don’t work kindy either and I make around what you make now, Robin hood. I don’t work until 1:30 in the afternoon, and I work on Saturday. I have 2 part time jobs and some real good privates that aren’t allowed to cancel without make-up classes. I’m often home relaxing by 8 pm.

Yes, It can be difficult to find daytime privates, but not impossible. If you can get a good one, and they like you, you can find more through them. Word of mouth is king!