Notarisation/authenticate Taiwanese drivers license while abroad

Hello,
While living in Taiwan, I exchanged my driving license from back home to a Taiwanese one.

I have now left Taiwan and moved elsewhere. Id like now to exchange the Taiwanese one to a local one. For that purpose I need to have my Taiwanese driving license notarised and the authenticate by BOCA in Taiwan.

I was wondering if there are any agency/agent who could do that for me in Taipei? Unfortunately, none of my friends are not in Taiwan at the moment.

Thanks a lot!

1 Like

Back in the days I had a non-Taiwanese driving license authenticated at the an embassy of the issuing country. Not sure if that is a possibility for Taiwanese licenses.

Also, since you had your original license exchanged for a Taiwanese one, the proper process would probably exchanging it back first and then performing the exchange in your current country of residence by handing in your original license.

Hi,
I’m actually just looking for an agent/agency who could receive, notarise, authenticate and send me back the driving license, in Taiwan.

If I’m asking this is because the Taiwanese office of the country I’m currently am told me so as well as BOCA.

(In order to exchange first my taiwanese driving license to my original one, I would need to officially move back and live in my own country)

travel agency could do.

Any contact?

https://eng.taiwan.net.tw/m1.aspx?sNo=0042064

So far from what I’ve got in response back, they don’t deal with that…

if you read mandarin

https://www.liontravel.com/webvisa/webvsse01.aspx?sWorld=&sCountry=&sKeyWord=文件證明

2 Likes

I’ve reached out to them and waiting their reply, will let you know, thank you @tando

@tando They have confirmed me that they do not offer this service.

1 Like

Maybe try these guys?

you could try immigration agency, like this one.

list of registered agencies

Thanks a lot for your replies. Actually a friend of my is going back to Taiwan and will be able to help me :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, I have the same issue exactly. I’m trying to find a notary that I can send my drivers license to. Did it work for you and if so, can you provide me the contact info of the notary who provided the service?

Thanks!

So let me get this straight… You had a license in Country A, converted it to Taiwanese, and now you are in Country B, right?

Are they perhaps willing to let you get the documents translated/authenticated in Country B? That’s pretty much what I had to do with my US documents since your notarized translation has to be from the same jurisdiction or within Taiwan, and time wasn’t on my side to send it to a 2nd TECO as they would want, so almost every document except ironically my driver’s license was notarized in Taiwan, long story.

1 Like

Do tell.

As you wish… It’s a REALLY slow day at work. Be warned, I suck at summarizing things.

I was working a 100% travel position in Minnesota, but everything related to getting my ARC/dual citizenship were in other jurisdictions.

When I applied for my passport, they didn’t need the translation for my birth certificate and parent’s marriage license, so I didn’t think too much about it. However, when I received my passport in June, that was when I not only started making my exit strategy (resigning from my work, booking flights, and even a concert), but when I also started to authenticate documents needed for my ARC.

I either missed the instructions or it didn’t say that TECO would only accept translations from their same jurisdiction, so I had everything that I needed to have translated notarized in Minnesota, but when they came back from their respective offices (Los Angeles, Seattle, Washington DC) around July-August, it’d probably need another 3 weeks in Chicago (Minnesota’s jurisdiction), and I didn’t want to take any chances of missing the documents, so I just decided to wait until I was in Taiwan to get the documents translated.

For my driver’s license, I REALLY wish I would’ve thought of it sooner, but maybe the delay was for the better in a way; if I requested it any earlier, it’d probably no longer be valid given how long it finally took to arrive: Since car parking is a nightmare around my mom’s condo in Taiwan and I wanted to double-dip and be licensed to ride motorcycles in the US too, I decided to take the motorcycle class and earn my motorcycle endorsement in the US, which I passed in mid-August and emailed my certificate over to Idaho’s DMV just 10 minutes before the UPS Store closed (where I notarized and requested it to be sent express).

When I finally made it over to Idaho at the beginning of September, my new license finally arrived at my mailbox on Saturday at 3 PM; the place closes at 4 on Saturdays, and I was due to fly out the next morning… I actually had to bring in my laptop, then translate my license on the spot and print it out, and notarize both that and my driving record (which I got 2 days ago and already finished) in the lobby. Luckily for me, Idaho is in the same jurisdiction as TECO Seattle, so I didn’t have to send it elsewhere… Also, if ANY of it was delayed, I’d be screwed.

However, what sucked was that I didn’t follow their procedure exactly and they held my application for a while; I told them to process it as normal, but 2 weeks later they sent a follow-up email asking what I wanted to do :unamused:, then after taking their sweet time processing it, sending it by regular mail took almost a month; by the time I got my license translation and driving records back, I only had 6 days left out of the 3 month validity window of my driving records to swap it in for a Taiwanese driver’s license.

1 Like

Wow. You squeezed in through a small gap between a rock and a hard place there.