Notre-Dame cathedral fire in Paris

Yes. This sounds like the definition of a win-win situation.

3 Likes

Indeed. Obscenely wealthy people should be encouraged to give some back. Heā€™s doing just that and he deserves to be applauded for it.

One of the problems with the 0.001% these days is they donā€™t have the largesse that the wealthy had in the past. Encouraging them is good for everyone.

1 Like

Well, what I meant is itā€™s likely that heā€™s only making this donation because he wants a tax break.

Thatā€™s so true. Decades/centuries ago there would have been wealthy people flocking to sponsor the reconstruction, sometimes with just a small metal/stone plaque stating ā€œthis whatever was built/renewed thanks to Dudebroā€™s donationā€ as a memento.

It was only a couple of decades ago when wealthy Taiwanese built hospitals. The next generation of super wealthy donā€™t seem to do a thing.

1 Like

Possibly. We donā€™t know. The net result is all thatā€™s important.

How would even the greatest tax break save money on a 100 million euro donation? Even if he gets half of that back, itā€™s still a hugely generous gesture.

I donā€™t know. Iā€™m not familiar with French tax law. All donations from the 0.01% smell suspicious to me irrespective of the intention.

He probably had the place burnt down just to get a tax rebate.

They need to check the local cctv for images of Salma Hayek carrying a jerry can.

1 Like

Maybe he plans on taking charge of the renovation and turning the cathedral into a giant Gucci retail space. Those evil capitalists!

1 Like

That may be a good reason to reject a cheese sandwich say, but I think Iā€™ll still go for the 100 mil

1 Like

The beautiful rose windows were spared.

1 Like

Not to mention tax day in the US and I had to fork over thousands of ill afforded dollars more to uncle Samā€¦

Crying shame about the cathedral even more so if it was deliberate.

Itā€™s not the same now.

I heard. Thank god. It was a special moment for me and my Dad when we saw them years ago together.

They can easily collect a crazy amount of money. This maybe will become the worldā€™s biggest donation campaign ever, BUT it doesnt change the fact that an almost an entire generation likely will never be able to see and visit that church and that this church will never regain its original charme (despite the modern techniques these days) !

1 Like

Why not? Iā€™ll consider it now that the entry ticket will be lower. A hot deal!

1 Like

Really? It will take that long?

60 years it took after the French revolution.

I4i9z47

QAbASaO

S1h5Wvf

They have Jesusā€™s crown of thorns? Thatā€™s like some Dan Brown level stuff there

2 Likes

The Chinese could have it back to order in a Week oh ok maybe ten days. They can copy anything right?