Novak Djokovic disqualified

He didn’t whack it randomly. He directed the ball right at her.

If he actually broke a rule of the NYO, and if in the past others who have violated that rule have been DQ’d 100% - no exceptions - then he should definitely leave.

However, if discretion has ever been used in years prior, then I think he deserves the same benefit now. He was obviously chagrined, shamed, etc.

He hardly tapped the ball. She goes down like she’s been torpedoed.

5 Likes

She certainly wasn’t paying attention. I’d be concerned about her line calling ability if she’s so zoned out she was unable to catch/dodge a ball coming directly at her at such a slow pace.

2 Likes

what’s workers’ comp at the big 4 tennis tournaments?

1 Like

I know they’re just following the rules, but it’s really disappointing to disqualify the #1 ranked player like that. It surely didn’t help the woman acted like she just got shot.

1 Like

If there is a rule against hitting a ball in that fashion in that direction, I find it refreshing that one of the super stars on the circuit is not getting any special treatment.

2 Likes

That’s what him DQ’d. If she hadn’t gone down it would have been ignored.

Regardless of the gender of the line umpire, I have to agree with BiggusDickus’ claim that Djokovic barely tapped the ball. The “tennis” ball looked to be traveling at about the same speed as a pitcher tossing a bunted ball underhanded towards first base.

If the first baseman got hit by the “baseball” in the throat, well he wasn’t paying attention.

Oh, and Djokovic is a narcissistic asshole for holding a game during the height of COVID-19, causing multiple people, including himself to catch it.

2 Likes

Safe to say linewoman is a Fed fan

1 Like

Djokoking will come back stronger, as he always does

For the bettors out there, back Auger-Aliassime, odds 12/1 not bad, he is playing incredible tennis at the moment. Medvedev is the favorite though.

Possibly. However, I think it’s safer to say she’s a former USO employee.

I’ll be real surprised if we ever see her judging in/out again at the US Open (or courtside in any capacity).

Ok.

…but I don’t know the man. I know what I saw and wrote about that. I’m with the OP - that lady just wants attention and her 3 minutes.

I think you guys are reading this wrong. Yes it looks innocuous but it’s obviously hit her bang in the middle of the throat. She was in an unprotected position because that is the position she is required to hold, hands at her side, head up. The blow has caused her to choke in some way and she had to be replaced. No option but to DQ the player. Whether or not her name is Karen is irrelevant. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

You and @Andrew0409 need to crawl back to your man cave with your toxic masculinity.

:popcorn:

Yeah, if Djokovic didn’t tap that ball in her direction, she wouldn’t have gotten hit, but she could have also gotten hit by a fault or strong volley to her direction. That would have been much worse than the tapped ball from Djokovic.

If people can be hurt that badly with a tennis ball, then perhaps the umpires should be wearing some type of protective gear for the neck and groin area. Wouldn’t that solve the issue?

No pussies allowed

Was with a tennis ball that got tapped at her. A baseball yes, a hollowed soft ball…it’s not a big deal.

Most people’s reactions if they got hit off guard would probably be shocked. But realize they’re fine because it’s a tennis ball. They wouldn’t spin 360 and act like they got shot.

I don’t know, it seems pretty cut-and-dry to me. Sure we can make fun of her reaction to it, but it’s not like the lady was lobbying tournament director to amputate his legs. It was NOT her decision.

The point was over. The ball that was IN PLAY was not the ball that hit her. That is not how 99% of players give back the 2nd serve ball from their pocket. His serve was broken. His opponent would now be serving for the SET. He was pissed and just bad luck. You cannot argue ignorance or intention here. I think there is quite a few things in life that people do by mistake that if a few feet to the right or left nothing happens, but Djokovic hit Yahtzee! and is the donkey of the day.

Intentional or not, man or woman, neck hickey or decapitation…he hit the ball squarely at the lines judge.

So we want him to get preferential treatment? At what ranking level should we let it slide? It’s in the rules.

Earlier in the match he was already brewing some strong tea:

3 Likes