Novak Djokovic disqualified

Yeah but nah but, it’s a player conduct issue. Of course a stray serve could hit someone but in a dead ball situation which this was the officials are resuming their stance for the next point. Ball should be hit along the ground towards the ball boy.

1 Like

Reminds me of this :joy:

1 Like

Yeah, he f’d up, obv it hit the lady dead on the windpipe, bad break for him, but he can easily avoid it in the future with better sportsmanship.

2 Likes

Just common sense to let them play on.

1 Like

Possible … but there are always options, esp for the #1 seed, a 1 who went immediately to her side and was obviously apologetic, and especially for what was clearly an accident.

If it had been intentional, or if the ball had been rifled off in frustration, then yeah no options whatsoever. Otherwise not so sure.

Anyone got a clip of the guy who broke the hoarding and then injured the leg of the official? That was a classic.

Denis Shapovalov was disqualified for hit chair umpire in the face , but you can see the way he hit the ball was more dangerous than Novak

Yes, you may be on to something there. We usually get to choose how we react. Maybe she wasn’t aware she was on a tennis court where players routinely rifle tennis balls all over the place, and that lob in her general direction was slow enough to scare the living daylights out of her.

STFU

C’mon now - you can fit a few more cliche’s in there!

I always have trouble watching certain sports being used to American football and combat sports. I guess tennis is one of those “gentlemen’s game” where little things like this is a big deal. I guess run some dirt or clay in it isn’t sound advice for some sports.

I certainly think she overreacted for sure. I’m quite surprised how unattentive she was for a line judge. I’m sure they’re told to keep an eye on the ball at all times until players are sitting down and the match wasn’t being played.

Not sure if this is the one you looking for

1 Like

Her reaction is over the top but the point was over. The ball that was in play rolled past her on her right side. The GAME was over…both players walking to take a seat. Djokovic did not pick up a ball. He had the ball in his pocket.

Who has gotten hit by a tennis ball, no matter the speed, in the throat before? I’d call it overreaction if it were a ping pong ball. Don’t underestimate the impact of a tennis ball to one’s throat.

5 Likes

Eh. This is an argument for protective gear for everybody, then, since a ball in play taken in the throat must be very serious.

I think folks are just more fragile in 2020, especially emotionally.

2 Likes

You guys really aren’t watching are you. The ball that hit her wasn’t the ball in play. It was a ball in Djokovics pocket and it was a service changeover. You can’t watch a ball in someone’s pocket.

Do try and keep up.

1 Like

I’m sure it’s unpleasant but I can’t see it being that bad. We used to throw them at each other in games. I’ve been it in the face/eye and all over. It’s not bad. I’m sure I’ve been hit in the throat before; but the fact that I can’t remember probably means it’s nothing.

I don’t play tennis, but UNTIL players are sitting down I’d assume that ball is in play…or so I’m told. I’d been in many similar situations as a sports player that until the play is compeletly dead I don’t assume it’s over. I read somewhere that as a line judge in tennis, the ball is in play until BOTH players are sitting on the bench. I could be wrong, so correct me if I was.

I’ve seen lots of players take the ball out and hit it/throw it to line judge when the ball wasn’t being played, so that’s what I meant to say.

Anyhow, this is really unfortunate for sure.

I wasn’t gonna say this but I agree with this sentiment.

I certainly try. :no_mouth: Just my view of what I saw.

I got an orbital fracture taking a baseball to my face after being deflected by a glove, with my iris muscles being damaged and stuck in one position for a couple of years. That ball was traveling a lot faster than Djokovic’s tapped tennis ball.

There have been fans who went to baseball games who got hit by players throwing the ball into the stands. I know one person who got hit so hard she lost her eyesight in one eye permanently. She tried to get compensated, but apparently you were supposed to be paying attention in the stands, so she lost.

That’s all I’ve got to say about that.

5 Likes