Novel coronavirus cases reignite SARS fears - the epidemic mess foretold

And if this thing can spread through poo poo wouldn’t we need to worry about the plumbing and say quarantine the entire building at that point .

1 Like

Yes, my friend just landed couple hours ago, he said, he filled a form, people made some questions and let him go. I asked him, “Do you need home quarantine?”, he said no.

Now, go figure out what are the criteria? Sounds alarming for me.

4 Likes

I have a feeling my trip to Blighty isn’t going to happen.

Bugger!

Dean Koontz, time traveler :open_mouth:

5 Likes

I think in the couple of weeks between now and your trip, the situation will very likely have worsened and you’ll end up stuck somewhere. The good news is you can probably get a refund. Most airlines are being accommodating even considering the situation has yet to really escalate in Taiwan.

3 Likes

Just don’t fly Air Canada. They told me they would waive the rebooking fee and I would have to travel within 325 days. Bastards.

1 Like

Well, at least within 325 days the plague will have either died down or decimated humanity.

4 Likes

I fly this Sunday, so if flying AIDS kicks off in Thailand before then I’ll have to cancel my trip I guess.

If it kicks off during the two weeks I’m in England then I could cancel my return and try and get a seat on an EVA direct flight. Risky, but I might get away with it.

2 Likes

We do have “fish and chips” here too!!!

Jokes apart, you are brave… I’m barely moving my ass from living room to bathroom, all done using my Ninja mask.

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Cruises and coronoavirus

No, my sewage goes to the basement and I’ll never touch it.

Yeah, for obvious reason.

I was asking about this last night and I didn’t see an answer (apologies if it’s there, buried somewhere upthread): I don’t yet understand the mechanism for self-imposed quarantines. Suppose one of my students comes down with the virus, and I’ve got a 14-day quarantine. What is my wife supposed to do? We both stay home, never leaving for 14 days? Or is she allowed to leave home? Or would it be best if she just stayed with her parents for the next two weeks? (EDIT: Or is she already “not allowed” to that, because of indirect exposure via me?)

If we both stay home, I guess we have to rely on friends to supply us with groceries? Is there some kind of government support for people in quarantine, to ensure they get necessary supplies?

I think my wife and I would be able to manage this, but lord help families with children.

They probably have to bring everything you need to your house, leave it outside and don’t get close to you.

1 Like

Seriously, do you really have to go? Planes have ideal conditions for virus transmission. If you get stuck in Thailand, it’s gonna be awful. If you make it to England, they will hopefully put you in quarantine. And coming back is dubious. If there are flights, if they do not cancel all flights out or in, if you have fever or cough, you ain’t getting on. And if you do, and catch you, it is not only quarantine but living with the fact you could be spreading this sickness.

Transit in HK or Macau is OK to enter Taiwan. No quarantine required if the passenger has not been to China, or actually entered Hong Kong or Macau recently. Transit/travel through China is the problem.

Yes, airports are icky but also frequently cleaned and the air is not recycled, which is the problem with airplanes.

Not really true. Armrests, lavatory doors, those can make you sick, sure - but the air on planes isn’t something to worry about:

Studies have shown that a crowded airplane is no more germ-laden than other enclosed spaces—and usually less. … there’s a total changeover of air every two or three minutes — far more frequently than occurs in offices, movie theaters, or classrooms.

Usually, though, it’s not what passengers are breathing that makes them sick. It’s what they are touching : lavatory door handles, contaminated trays and armrests, etc. A little hand sanitizer is probably a better safeguard than the masks I occasionally see passengers wearing.

Here we go, another new case in Taiwan: 18
Seems it is one new case per day, hope it doesn’t change to more cases per day.

Dad’s 80th birthday.

Of course, I don’t have to go. Like the majority of air travel I’m doing it because I want to.

5 Likes

I think that this was probably posted before, but only as a screen grab and without an accompanying news story. Interesting read. But, of course we need to consider the source and the author with more than a few grains of salt!