Novel coronavirus cases reignite SARS fears - the epidemic mess foretold

I read about the 9 month old too. Forgot from where I read it from. She got it and in a few she died. Much faster than adults

2 Likes

I’m only going if I can eat bat’s penis.

2 Likes

Quick search on Google tool me back to the news. I read somewhere else yesterday that the baby died already.

I live in HK. Streets have been quiet, went to ifc for lunch today and it should have been a big shopping day but was very muted. Company HR decided everyone in Greater China should work from home til at least Monday. Mainland travel banned w/o approval from Senior Director or above.

I have still been going out, going to gym, etc., but wearing a mask.

Wife (who is pregnant) wanted to invite over one of our friends who just got back from Beijing on Sunday, I was like, yeah no, not happening.

3 Likes

I’d be surprised if that wasn’t the most sought-after bit while eating bat soup in Wuhan. There’s probably an extra to pay for male bat soup. Damn you, patriarchy!!1

Or shall I say…batriarchy?

BadPunHusky.jpg

3 Likes

On bat soup: Belgian Pie already posted this link above. The woman biting into a bat? In Palau, for a travel show, like the kind of stuff Anthony Bourdain used to do. Nothing to do with Wuhan.

Re: Hong Kong closing borders: looks like the borders aren’t shut down, but they’re more controlled. From New York Times a couple of hours ago:

HONG KONG — Carrie Lam, Hong Kong’s top official, said on Tuesday that the city would sharply cut the number of visitors from mainland China in an effort to control the spread of the new coronavirus that emerged in the city of Wuhan last month.

The limits, including the closure of rail and ferry service and reducing flight arrivals by about half, will begin in the first minute of Thursday morning.

Hong Kong will close several of its border crossing points and increase checkpoints to detect fevers at those that remain, Mrs. Lam said.

Re, the nine-month-old: I can find this from the New York Times, although it’s a couple of days old. I can’t see anything about her having died:

Across China there have been more than 4,500 confirmed cases. The youngest confirmed case is a 9-month-old girl in Beijing.

2 Likes

Our company pretty much banned anybody who has visited China recently from going into the office.

Impossible at ours. Most employees take turns rotating two months in Taiwan, two months in China and most of the others make frequent trips to Hong Kong, where most of the actual business takes place for tax reasons.

I wondered the same thing, but it looks like at least one of the cases in Germany was caught from a Chinese colleague visiting for a training seminar. Deutsche Welle says that’s “believed to be the first case of human-to-human transmission in Europe.”

I’m not sure which one’s first, but I guess that’s sort of moot now.

1 Like

… on the bright side, you may potentially be better immune to it, so don’t worry about returning to work

1 Like

I heard that Wuhan’s bamboo rats are tasty. Their little upturned paws make a nice presentation in the bowl, too.

2 Likes

Biohazard is as great read as @crusher mentioned. A good window not only into biological weapons but also into Soviet social, political and military hierarchy.

1 Like

Like a pigeon claw.

The transmission rate outside of China will certainly help determine how contagious the virus really is.

I think even more important lesson learned from this Starnberg case is that the transmission was from a person not yet showing symptoms.

Everyone, panic! Now! :runaway:

PS: that’s the only confirmed case in Germany so far.

2 Likes

It was a bestseller when it came out. I enjoyed it a lot for both the reasons you said.

First what seems non Wuhan person who got this plague in Japan (person to Person in Japan, person who never went to Wuhan) https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/zh/news/214292/

1 Like

More than half a million South Koreans have signed a petition calling for a ban on visitors from China as Seoul announced on Tuesday it would evacuate citizens from the epicenter of the new coronavirus outbreak.

6 Likes

The person-to-person case in Japan was apparently a tour bus driver in Nara, who had ferried around some tourists from Wuhan.

Source: https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/01/28/national/japan-first-domestic-transmission-coronavirus/#.XjAmEDIzbIU

Guy

3 Likes