Novel coronavirus cases reignite SARS fears - the epidemic mess foretold

??? Not true, Yesterday there 2 or 3 new cases in Taiwan? Today no report yet, so not so sure?

More of concern was flight back to Japan from Wuhan today, 2 had symptoms of pneumonia, A total of 13 charter passengers have developed symptoms of respiratory infections. that is what 7% infection possible rate (15 out 200)?

I was in a large Carrefour today around noon in Sanxia and it was practically empty of customers. Normally that place would be packed. I counted only about 15 customers and I was in there for an hour. I was talking to the check out clerk and she said it’s been that way all day because of the virus.

Glad people are avoiding going out unless they absolutely have to.

Problem is tomorrow is a work day. Out we go.

Hmm, the Tienmu one seemed totally normally crowded. On the other hand, almost everyone was wearing a mask

Score: SG 1-SG 1

Imagine what it’s going to be like when school is back in session. Teachers have it bad.

Speaking of that. Kangchiao has canceled its winter camp program for next week. Those teachers get a reprieval for one more week.

My Part of Kaoshiung (SingSing District) seemed normal, lunch time at Taiwanese deli busy as normal had to wait for a seat. I have not used public transport for a week and roads seem normal for a non working day. The area I stay has mostly locals with small amount Japanese ex pats and some tourists from Japan who seem less concerned (no masks)

Spent my entire CNY here in Taipei, not much panicking going on. Even went to Ximending (tourists are not at all dampened by the weather, cold, or the virus) and everyone’s pretty chill.

About 80% of the people I see are in face masks now though, and most establishments take my temperature and sanitize my hands before entry. I take that as a good sign.

1 Like

:face_with_monocle:
Did you say deli?
I’m intrigued.
Please tell us more about this deli. Is it like a Western deli with cold cuts, sandwiches and such?
:heart_eyes:

Oh, that’s started again, has it? During SARS, were many people having their temperature measured as they entered their apartment buildings in Taipei? That happened to me a couple of times in Tainan and I was rather annoyed. (The building abandoned the policy in a hurry.) Entering public buildings, sure, but coming home seemed different.

The Neihu Carrefour by Costco was packed around 2pm today (not as busy as regular weekends, mind you). Families spending the chilly afternoon indoors, spreading germs while testing out sample equipment. I saw one boy in the dairy section pull down his mask to pick his nose.
In other news, the hospital was open for medicine refills today, but clinics weren’t open, so it was nice and quiet! The roads were empty, too. They’ve only got the one set of main doors open though, for better screening… not that they seemed concerned. Oh, and all the staff were wearing surgical face masks, nothing extra.
They have a flowchart outside, showing what to do if you’re sick

Re: masks, that Carrefour was sold out, the hospital drugstore was sold out, and a line rapidly developed outside the “everything store” on my way home as passersby saw staff scanning in new inventory of masks… despite the staff telling them to chill tf out and that they couldn’t buy them all :rofl:

The Xindian one was also packed as well. Maybe 80% masked yesterday evening.

This looks useful for everyone. Could someone be kind and translate the chart?

Throw in an extra free holiday in a Military camp or Remote Pacific island of your choice on the way home .
What’s not to like ?

I went to Taiwanese Deli with Taiwanese food! for a western deli try this: Hungarian Restaurant

But what exactly is a Taiwanese deli? I’ve never heard of deli being used to describe any type of Taiwanese restaurant.

When I read deli, I think of this…
our-cheese-range-changes

3 Likes

It’s just the procedure for that specific hospital, TMUH.
It tells you to wear a mask in the hospital.
They have three entrances open, and there’s a temperature screening at each entrance and the parking lot (they weren’t really enforcing any kind of screening though, it was kind of like at the airport, where they have a monitor).
No fever, wear a mask, wash your hands (I guess with the alcohol spray at the door?), and carry on.
If you have a fever, there’s a secondary screening.

There is another poster with more detail inside the hospital, but I don’t really understand it… I think it’s detailing symptoms and preventative measures?

2 Likes

Company have told us to bring our own as they are looking at how to purchase them…Problem may be solved as it looks like working from home for 14 days for anyone who was in China is now being proposed along with an Asian travel ban.

2 Likes

Source?

I’m not sure where you heard about 2 or 3 new cases yesterday. All official sources say 8 confirmed cases in Taiwan, which it has been that way since 2 days ago after one of the first 7 passed it to their husband.

Yeah. I’m starting back tomorrow. I wonder how many of my students went to China over the holidays.

They’re also requiring masks in the classroom. Not sure how I can teach wearing one of those… We’ll see