Novice web design “Wordpress”

Starting a new business in Taiwan and need a website.

Many years ago I used to host and design websites, HTML, CSS with the odd Java script thrown in. I had a major brain aneurysm after cycling accident that stopped that business.

I host using IONOS U.K…… .com domain to use.
Been 25 years since I last designed a site using Dreamweaver, Hot Dog Pro. They used to take hours to design from scratch.
IONOS supports Wordpress and templates.
I will be a novice again to design, is Wordpress any good and easy enough to use for basic start up site?
Business becomes successful I will need to add shop. Start selling on Shopee to begin with.
Would it be sensible to transfer domain to a Taiwan server and host from that?
Lots of other questions going to come when I get going.

yes, wordpress is relatively easy to use, and has many available pre-designed templates you can buy online, thus shortening the amount of time you need to spend (youvjust update the text).
You can also consider a wix site, wix offers easy way to launch a website, but has a monthly fee i believe.

1 Like

Thanks, yes I looked at Wix and made up a basic site back in U.K. was quite straightforward.
I’m looking WP as it’s built in with IONOS and very cheap for first 12 months.

One thing I have thought, site needs to be smartphone compatible, hoping a WP site is already set for this.

There are LOTS of templates for WP.

yes, wordpress works well on both desktop and mobile. You just need to make sure the template you choose is compatible with both.
you can also have a template made from scratch for you, but there are many available templates for purchase online, so it will save you lots of time and trouble (might not save time, if you browse through dozens of templates, but still faster than starting from zero)

1 Like

shopify better la

If you want to be more current, then use Notion with service like Super.

2 Likes

Possibly would if I knew what it was?

Still need a website to display videos of my actions to use what I’m selling.
I have IG, YouTube and FB accounts for same process.

In the past few years, Wordpress has moved in a direction where you have a built-in editor called Gutenberg and then the most popular themes add another editor, like Divi, Elementor, or Beaver Builder. So, for parts of the website – the overall theme, key pages (like the landing page), certain blog posts maybe – you work in the theme’s editor, and for other pages and other blog posts, you could stick to Gutenberg.

Can anyone recommend any resources or videos to learn how best to manage this? There are plenty of tiny training videos, say, for Divi, which I would have to wade through to find what I need to learn – for some reason, Elegant Themes (the company that developed Divi) does not like to write things down. Their user manual material is primarily videos, which I find a great waste of time to go through. And Divi itself feels incredibly slow – I have the impression it might be faster if I was connecting from certain places in the US.

Lately, I’ve been working with Beaver Builder because it came packaged in a theme I’m using. I wasn’t happy about having to figure out yet another editor (and blocks in Gutenberg alone already are mystifying to me). At least Beaver Builder seems a bit faster than Divi.

Like the OP, I’m using Wordpress because I can build as many as I want with my webhost. I would prefer something simpler to install in my server. Any recommendations?

1 Like

Is your post sponsored? :rofl:
jokes.

Not at all :). These are options we considered in my previous company

I’m just joking. Cause everyone on YouTube and their mother is sponsored by Wix and Squarespace.

My own experience with WP is it over time becomes a bloated mess. This plugin, that plug-in…conflicts, script issues, payment is down, update, blah.

1 Like

I’m expecting that, I should be able to edit code try to keep clean. All templates was, I guess still full of unnecessary code.
I had to clean up Dreamweaver templates in the day.
I just want quick easy setup to begin with.

What did you end up doing @LondonSpice ?

WordPress is great choice because it’s easy and you have endless possibilities. I suggest Kinsta for hosting. It’s around 1000ntd per month 10k per year but speed and customer service is amazing. Festinger vault offers thousands plugins for good price (I got their lifetime plan long time ago and it paid itself million times). I use Astra theme+ Astra pro+ elementor. If you are implementing online store then obviously need Woocommerce. I suggest Yith plugins which can offer great addons for your store, like points and rewards, affiliate program and so on. About payment gateway TapPay is good one, it has same page checkout, whole background admin dashboard is in English. And last and almost most important in Taiwan translation plugin - TranslatePress is my choice. It has some bugs here and there, saves translations in database which is not ideal but translation process is super easy and that was for me game changer.