NT$8k traffic ticket

Bought my first car in Taiwan a short while ago and was under the impression many of us drive for years without ever bothering to get a local license.

Well … got pulled over Friday and ticketed for not having a local license. Fee is/will be NT$8.6k, but the cop said if I get my license immediately and go to such-and-such address with my ticket, ‘maybe you can shensu.’

What is shensu?? Anyone else here been ticketed for driving without a local license??? What have I gotten myself into? Really gonna have to pay 8k for this? I have a valid California license, but its not reciprocal so I will need to test for a local license - something I plan to do Tues/Weds.

Thanks …

[quote=“Paniolo”]Bought my first car in Taiwan a short while ago and was under the impression many of us drive for years without ever bothering to get a local license.

Well … got pulled over Friday and ticketed for not having a local license. Fee is/will be NT$8.6k, but the cop said if I get my license immediately and go to such-and-such address with my ticket, ‘maybe you can shensu.’

What is shensu?? Anyone else here been ticketed for driving without a local license??? What have I gotten myself into? Really gonna have to pay 8k for this? I have a valid California license, but its not reciprocal so I will need to test for a local license - something I plan to do Tues/Weds.

Thanks …[/quote]

Shen1su4 means to appeal, AFAIK. Good luck.

As for driving without a license, a long time ago (12 years?) I knew you could drive a 50cc if you had a car license, and yet I bought a 90cc scooter and rode it without a specific scooter license, until one day the cops pulled me over and informed me that for anything over 50 you needed a scooter license. I pleaded ignorance and they let me go. I then promptly went off to test for the 90+ (without studying) and failed by 2 questions, LOL. So I had to take it again, and passed. He he.

I got nailed a couple of years back for driving a scooter without a license. The cop thought I was drunk and when I passed the breathalyzer he wasn’t going to let me off totally scott free. The ticket was 6k. Maybe it’s more for a car? Or maybe it’s gone up?

The thing about driving a car without a license is that if you get in an accident, your insurance won’t cover you. It’ll be automatically your fault even if it isn’t. I test drove my car before I got a license but I made sure to actually have the license in my hand before I started driving it every day.

Getting a license is pretty easy really. The only hard park is backing down a narrow ‘S’ without crossing any lines. There’s no road test really - just driving around their own closed off track.

Would you do that in your own country? and get let off with a NT8k fine ?

I probably would not as I know my country has standards to maintain.

well i had a ticket for not having scooter license and it was also 6k, now i have the license, and i have international license for the car, in september i will go for business trip to my country and i will get some papers to validate my license here in taiwan, so wont be doing the car’s test…

And your point is???

Yeah, so?

And your point is???[/quote]
basically no point… just commenting about the fine that was 6K… and i haven’t heard of the 8.6K fine for cars…

dont feel bad guys, i drove my car with expired annual tax tags and paid a fine of around 36,000nt dollars for it !!! That was in 1999.

Yes, and no fine, a small bribe of booze will do…ok

Please dont compare developing and developed countries.

Yes, and no fine, a small bribe of booze will do…ok

Please dont compare developing and developed countries.[/quote]

Country? Developed? Come again?!

oohhhh no-u-di’nt, im not going there lol…

However regarding the developing/developed point this place is definately on the developing side rather than the developed as my Taiwanese friends insist on pointing out when I get enraged by the uncivilised inconsiderate behaviour I see involving road use and the absolute lack of interest displayed by the police.

Guy on scooter without helmet, police car overtakes, pulls up at the seven eleven gets out while the scooter stops at the red light next to the cop, the policeman proceeds into the store to buy his well earned snack-and-beverage. Seen THAT in your country?

Motorcycle only road clearly marked no entry for cars dangerous because the lane turns into a small tunnel with blind entries, everyday a car drives through this small tunnel (and once nearly crashed into me) and parks on the side of the motorcycle road within view of a parking lot and parking bays just outside the motorcycle road so he can dodge paying for parking. The parking meter guys have no interest in him because he is not parked in a parking bay. Called the Police, they come round look at the car then go away, call the Police again they come around look at the car again and go away. Well hell theres no red line on the side so what should they do? heaven forbid they consider how the car got there? Musta been magic because they didnt actually see the car driving there and there are no red lines on the edge so its all good no laws broken here…How about that seen that in YOUR country?

Everyday at lunch hour a lunch box vendor pulls up in front of my building and parks his little blue cooking truck on the only pedestrian crossing on my block, and blocks the way and the view for any pedestrians trying to cross the road furthermore he hangs a super trendy marketing banner on the corner of his nifty vehicle so as to block the view 2 feet into the busy road so you have to step into the traffic before you can see the cars and scooters and bicycles or they can see you. Lots of construction going on here and this super considerate twathead is super popular with the very large construction trucks that regularly stop their trucks next to his van and block of the entire intersection to sample his tasty wares. When called (and on no other occasion, only when called specifically and asked to take action, the rest of the time they just drive by casually) the police give him a ticket for vending in a “no vending” area and then they go about their business very considerately leaving him to his. He does’nt care, even IF he pays the fine he has made that money back very quickly, quite a bargain for a prime piece of retail space in fact. How about that? Got that in your country?

So I really dont want to hear any more gaff about “duuuuuhhhh wut wood youse do in yore cuntree”

This is not your country this is Taiwan! They do things differently here and if you want to remain sane you gotta go with the flow. Or just go back to your country. I grew up in Africa (No not South Africa, that was a beautiful example of law and order with streets so clean you could eat off em, back during the “The white man’s rule of terror” which was the time i was growing up, no, I grew up in real Africa ruled by a tribal king) and have lived in the UK so I know both ways and each has its own specific advantages if you dont take advantage then you’re just gonna be an unhappy sap who wants to make everyone as miserable as you are.

So take a deep breathe and get into it. There is a vast amount of freedoms to get away with here if you work with the system.

Favourite quote from Taiwanese friends, good for any question regarding any dubious situation:

“Ahhh its-ok…”

Next time you think a cop is going to pull you over don’t wait for him to do it, drive right up to him, greeting courteously and ask him for directions, and if he still isnt confused enough, break into a conversation about how much you love his beautiful country, 9 times outta 10 that will get you a big smile and a wave goodbye before he remembers he actually wanted to pull you over for something…thats if you werent driving in a way that actually offended him personally or its that time of the month (Super ticket-quota bonus time!!), even then, done right, its amazing what a bit of personality can get you in a developing nation. Can you do THAT in your country? Theres reason why they call the police in the UK “The Plod” personalities of turnips when they’re on the job “the perfect example of emotionless professionalism, by the book”…at least in my experience, there may be exceptions I have not encountered.

Oh fun! Lotsa words for my account. Opinions are like what? And i been flashing mine around hahaha

[quote=“Dogma”]oohhhh no-u-di’nt, I’m not going there lol…

However regarding the developing/developed point this place is definately on the developing side rather than the developed as my Taiwanese friends insist on pointing out when I get enraged by the uncivilised inconsiderate behaviour I see involving road use and the absolute lack of interest displayed by the police.

Guy on scooter without helmet, police car overtakes, pulls up at the seven eleven gets out while the scooter stops at the red light next to the cop, the policeman proceeds into the store to buy his well earned snack-and-beverage. Seen THAT in your country?

Motorcycle only road clearly marked no entry for cars dangerous because the lane turns into a small tunnel with blind entries, everyday a car drives through this small tunnel (and once nearly crashed into me) and parks on the side of the motorcycle road within view of a parking lot and parking bays just outside the motorcycle road so he can dodge paying for parking. The parking meter guys have no interest in him because he is not parked in a parking bay. Called the Police, they come round look at the car then go away, call the Police again they come around look at the car again and go away. Well hell theres no red line on the side so what should they do? heaven forbid they consider how the car got there? Musta been magic because they didnt actually see the car driving there and there are no red lines on the edge so its all good no laws broken here…How about that seen that in YOUR country?

Everyday at lunch hour a lunch box vendor pulls up in front of my building and parks his little blue cooking truck on the only pedestrian crossing on my block, and blocks the way and the view for any pedestrians trying to cross the road furthermore he hangs a super trendy marketing banner on the corner of his nifty vehicle so as to block the view 2 feet into the busy road so you have to step into the traffic before you can see the cars and scooters and bicycles or they can see you. Lots of construction going on here and this super considerate twathead is super popular with the very large construction trucks that regularly stop their trucks next to his van and block of the entire intersection to sample his tasty wares. When called (and on no other occasion, only when called specifically and asked to take action, the rest of the time they just drive by casually) the police give him a ticket for vending in a “no vending” area and then they go about their business very considerately leaving him to his. He does’nt care, even IF he pays the fine he has made that money back very quickly, quite a bargain for a prime piece of retail space in fact. How about that? Got that in your country?

So I really dont want to hear any more gaff about “duuuuuhhhh wut wood youse do in yore cuntree”

This is not your country this is Taiwan! They do things differently here and if you want to remain sane you gotta go with the flow. Or just go back to your country. I grew up in Africa (No not South Africa, that was a beautiful example of law and order with streets so clean you could eat off em, back during the “The white man’s rule of terror” which was the time I was growing up, no, I grew up in real Africa ruled by a tribal king) and have lived in the UK so I know both ways and each has its own specific advantages if you dont take advantage then you’re just gonna be an unhappy sap who wants to make everyone as miserable as you are.

So take a deep breathe and get into it. There is a vast amount of freedoms to get away with here if you work with the system.

Favourite quote from Taiwanese friends, good for any question regarding any dubious situation:

“Ahhh its-ok…”

Next time you think a cop is going to pull you over don’t wait for him to do it, drive right up to him, greeting courteously and ask him for directions, and if he still isnt confused enough, break into a conversation about how much you love his beautiful country, 9 times outta 10 that will get you a big smile and a wave goodbye before he remembers he actually wanted to pull you over for something…thats if you werent driving in a way that actually offended him personally or its that time of the month (Super ticket-quota bonus time!!), even then, done right, its amazing what a bit of personality can get you in a developing nation. Can you do THAT in your country? Theres reason why they call the police in the UK “The Plod” personalities of turnips when they’re on the job “the perfect example of emotionless professionalism, by the book”…at least in my experience, there may be exceptions I have not encountered.

Oh fun! Lotsa words for my account. Opinions are like what? And i been flashing mine around hahaha[/quote]

+1

(do I get credited for words in quote? I hope so.)

Almost anything goes here in Taiwan…
I call it Taiwan Style… Makes me laugh when I go home and I say to my friends while driving, for example a red light at midnight… Taiwan Style just go through it… or when my mom stops at a round about and you could get another 10 cars through the intersection before the car to the right even enters the round about… Taiwan Style, just go…

I saw two cops on scooters stopped at a red light, ha, they must have been going straight and the scooter I was following just rode straight past them and turned right on the red… Damn it, I have got a ticket for that before here, but these cops didn’t even turn their head at this guy…

But I also had a cop one time try to cut across the road in front of me once on his scooter, but I held my ground and kept going straight without looking directly at him. He must of got pissed as 30 seconds later he is on my tail with his little siren going telling me to pull over. He asked for my license, I had it… He asked for my registration for the bike, it was at home. He asked me if it was my bike and said yes and that he had a little computer there he can check the details and I will wait. He went and spoke to his partner and came back and said to me “Mei-wenti” I said to him, “Wei shenma, mei-wenti, wei shenme ni ting wo?” he just said again “mei wenti”. Asshole, I thing I just made him lose face as he had to give way to me when I had the right of way…
Weird Shit always happens here… Taiwan Style…

The way insurance companies view it (this was a big thing last year in Ireland for people who had driving permits but didn’t have a full license) is if they “determine” that not having a license was a contributing factor, they do not cover you. Based on what I know this seldom if ever happens.

In taiwan from the legal point of view, driving with a license and being in an accident are two seperate issues

[quote=“TaipeiSean”]Almost anything goes here in Taiwan…
I call it Taiwan Style… Makes me laugh when I go home and I say to my friends while driving, for example a red light at midnight… Taiwan Style just go through it… or when my mom stops at a round about and you could get another 10 cars through the intersection before the car to the right even enters the round about… Taiwan Style, just go…

I saw two cops on scooters stopped at a red light, ha, they must have been going straight and the scooter I was following just rode straight past them and turned right on the red… Damn it, I have got a ticket for that before here, but these cops didn’t even turn their head at this guy…

But I also had a cop one time try to cut across the road in front of me once on his scooter, but I held my ground and kept going straight without looking directly at him. He must of got pissed as 30 seconds later he is on my tail with his little siren going telling me to pull over. He asked for my license, I had it… He asked for my registration for the bike, it was at home. He asked me if it was my bike and said yes and that he had a little computer there he can check the details and I will wait. He went and spoke to his partner and came back and said to me “Mei-wenti” I said to him, “Wei shenma, mei-wenti, wei shenme ni ting wo?” he just said again “mei wenti”. Asshole, I thing I just made him lose face as he had to give way to me when I had the right of way…
Weird Shit always happens here… Taiwan Style…[/quote]

I once had a cop walk out from between two parked cars without checking…in front of me. Luckily I had time to spare…so I held in my clutch and rolled up on him…then gunned the gas…and I scared him just as much as I’ve scared any pedestrian…and that’s a lot. He jumped in the air and flailed his arms. But at the next intersection another cop came up and took my keys out. Then the cop I scared caught up and we pretty much had a yelling match. Him saying that I scared him…and me saying that he walked onto the street like an idiot without even looking (which I then demonstrated causing a van to swerve and miss me). Anyway…in the end they let me go without so much as a ticket. In Canada the cops would have probably impounded my bike and then beaten me thoroughly.

[quote=“TaipeiSean”]Almost anything goes here in Taiwan…

I once had a cop walk out from between two parked cars without checking…in front of me. Luckily I had time to spare…so I held in my clutch and rolled up on him…then gunned the gas…and I scared him just as much as I’ve scared any pedestrian…and that’s a lot. He jumped in the air and flailed his arms. But at the next intersection another cop came up and took my keys out. Then the cop I scared caught up and we pretty much had a yelling match. Him saying that I scared him…and me saying that he walked onto the street like an idiot without even looking (which I then demonstrated causing a van to swerve and miss me). Anyway…in the end they let me go without so much as a ticket. In Canada the cops would have probably impounded my bike and then beaten me thoroughly.

I once berated two police officers for riding scooters across a zebra which also clearly displayed a no motorcycle sign in the centre. All I got from them was a “Wo ju dao.”

[quote=“Mordeth”][quote=“TaipeiSean”]Almost anything goes here in Taiwan…

I once had a cop walk out from between two parked cars without checking…in front of me. Luckily I had time to spare…so I held in my clutch and rolled up on him…then gunned the gas…and I scared him just as much as I’ve scared any pedestrian…and that’s a lot. He jumped in the air and flailed his arms. But at the next intersection another cop came up and took my keys out. Then the cop I scared caught up and we pretty much had a yelling match. Him saying that I scared him…and me saying that he walked onto the street like an idiot without even looking (which I then demonstrated causing a van to swerve and miss me). Anyway…in the end they let me go without so much as a ticket. In Canada the cops would have probably impounded my bike and then beaten me thoroughly.[/quote]

haha, ya here the current thing is to taser you and beat you while all the time yelling STOP RESISTING. And you may not be resisting at all.

Friend of mine is 60 years old and a cop stopped him in SAn Francisco and he gave them some lip and they threw him onto the ground and handcuffed him !!! And hes a 60 years old white san franciscan. Imagine if he were black or something else?