NT$8k traffic ticket

oohhhh no-u-di’nt, im not going there lol…

However regarding the developing/developed point this place is definately on the developing side rather than the developed as my Taiwanese friends insist on pointing out when I get enraged by the uncivilised inconsiderate behaviour I see involving road use and the absolute lack of interest displayed by the police.

Guy on scooter without helmet, police car overtakes, pulls up at the seven eleven gets out while the scooter stops at the red light next to the cop, the policeman proceeds into the store to buy his well earned snack-and-beverage. Seen THAT in your country?

Motorcycle only road clearly marked no entry for cars dangerous because the lane turns into a small tunnel with blind entries, everyday a car drives through this small tunnel (and once nearly crashed into me) and parks on the side of the motorcycle road within view of a parking lot and parking bays just outside the motorcycle road so he can dodge paying for parking. The parking meter guys have no interest in him because he is not parked in a parking bay. Called the Police, they come round look at the car then go away, call the Police again they come around look at the car again and go away. Well hell theres no red line on the side so what should they do? heaven forbid they consider how the car got there? Musta been magic because they didnt actually see the car driving there and there are no red lines on the edge so its all good no laws broken here…How about that seen that in YOUR country?

Everyday at lunch hour a lunch box vendor pulls up in front of my building and parks his little blue cooking truck on the only pedestrian crossing on my block, and blocks the way and the view for any pedestrians trying to cross the road furthermore he hangs a super trendy marketing banner on the corner of his nifty vehicle so as to block the view 2 feet into the busy road so you have to step into the traffic before you can see the cars and scooters and bicycles or they can see you. Lots of construction going on here and this super considerate twathead is super popular with the very large construction trucks that regularly stop their trucks next to his van and block of the entire intersection to sample his tasty wares. When called (and on no other occasion, only when called specifically and asked to take action, the rest of the time they just drive by casually) the police give him a ticket for vending in a “no vending” area and then they go about their business very considerately leaving him to his. He does’nt care, even IF he pays the fine he has made that money back very quickly, quite a bargain for a prime piece of retail space in fact. How about that? Got that in your country?

So I really dont want to hear any more gaff about “duuuuuhhhh wut wood youse do in yore cuntree”

This is not your country this is Taiwan! They do things differently here and if you want to remain sane you gotta go with the flow. Or just go back to your country. I grew up in Africa (No not South Africa, that was a beautiful example of law and order with streets so clean you could eat off em, back during the “The white man’s rule of terror” which was the time i was growing up, no, I grew up in real Africa ruled by a tribal king) and have lived in the UK so I know both ways and each has its own specific advantages if you dont take advantage then you’re just gonna be an unhappy sap who wants to make everyone as miserable as you are.

So take a deep breathe and get into it. There is a vast amount of freedoms to get away with here if you work with the system.

Favourite quote from Taiwanese friends, good for any question regarding any dubious situation:

“Ahhh its-ok…”

Next time you think a cop is going to pull you over don’t wait for him to do it, drive right up to him, greeting courteously and ask him for directions, and if he still isnt confused enough, break into a conversation about how much you love his beautiful country, 9 times outta 10 that will get you a big smile and a wave goodbye before he remembers he actually wanted to pull you over for something…thats if you werent driving in a way that actually offended him personally or its that time of the month (Super ticket-quota bonus time!!), even then, done right, its amazing what a bit of personality can get you in a developing nation. Can you do THAT in your country? Theres reason why they call the police in the UK “The Plod” personalities of turnips when they’re on the job “the perfect example of emotionless professionalism, by the book”…at least in my experience, there may be exceptions I have not encountered.

Oh fun! Lotsa words for my account. Opinions are like what? And i been flashing mine around hahaha