NTU vs NTNU for master's in social work

I have been accepted at the master’s programs for social work at both NTU and NTNU. The latter also offered me a scholarship (which is a factor, but probably not a deciding factor). I am not sure which to choose and am therefore seeking advice on their reputations and future prospects.

NTU is obviously the higher ranked school, but I don’t want to decide based off of that alone. I want to know where I would have the best experience and which program would put me in the best position internationally. In the future I will likely want to work in Europe and/or the US in addition to Taiwan. I am not sure how much the reputation of NTU extends beyond Taiwan, but it does have around double the number of professors and associate professors. I could not find the number of students in each program, so it may be proportional, but still. I have heard NTU receives much more funding. I also heard that they are not very supportive of international students. On the other hand, NTNU’s program outline seems more structured. They also have more required courses (one of which, qualitative research methods, rather interests me) and two internships, rather than only one at NTU. These are the factors I am aware of.

Any feedback is welcome. Ultimately, I think I cannot really go wrong either way and feel fortunate to face this choice…

As you noted, I think you’re in a good position. What follows is based on no specific knowledge of the Social Work programs but some knowledge of the larger institutions.

As you may know, NTU and NTNU (along with NTUST) are part of an integrated university system in which students are able to take courses at the affiliates (though there may be, and almost certainly will be, limits to how many credits from the affiliates can count toward your degree requirements). You can also take out books and use the libraries of the affiliated universities, which is a plus.

Given this situation, I’d look carefully at the list of faculty in each program (you seem to have already done so) and figure out which one has a cluster of people closest to your interests. Based on what you posted, I feel you may be leaning to NTNU. I wonder if there are any international students there in that program with whom you could consult to see if your plans would or could work?

Whatever you decide, good luck with your studies!

Guy