Nuclear Power Debate

Thats poor planning, not bad tech.

Space usage is real. Thank god we have thousands of square kilometers of rooftops that could be utilized.

The dumb ass move by taiwan in putting solar fields in farmland had to be intentionally done by the pro nuclear groups to intentionally derail the solar the solar industry. No one with an iq over 20 thinks that is wise.

1 Like

Another bonus is it would cut down on AC usage because the solar panel would block sunlight that would have been used to heat up the rooms below it. A lot of Taiwanese puts rooftop panels over buildings for this reason.

Definately some shading. I visited an architects random projects in Taidong a couple years back and they are making houses with an extra layer of steel (metal skin translated) with 20cm or so spave between and vents placed where wind is directed. The houses were amazingly cool.

Land size. You canā€™t compare Taiwan with Canada on that front.

Clearly, that was talking about hydro and just the general shitting on green energy when hydro is actually amazingly successful.

The post above yours is talking about taiwans land size and solar.

In fact it is vecause of taiwans tiny land nass, vuilding solar farms low and on farmland is tge definition of retarded. Just saying that doesnt make solar bad, that makes the countrys people look like idiots.

Dunno where that is, but it looks like a flood control pond, with those spillways in the background. They would probably be floating if it had rained normally lately.

I see a lot of them rafted up on reservoirs and fish ponds. There are a lot of the latter (too many given the freshwater demand) though I suppose youā€™d probably have to compensate for the reduiced oxygen exchange by additional aereation,

which will reduce the net gain in electricity.

These are fixed in with concrete. This pic should demonstrate the level of retard we are dealing with. Thanks for noticingā€¦and its not that solar is bad.

You sure? Looks very like the surge ponds (my guess as to function. Iā€™m not a hydrologist) on a flood relief system here in Tainan, which they had to rebuild just after completion because it got damaged by,er,heavy rain.

IF thatā€™s what it is, you couldnā€™t really use the area for much else since its likely to be inundated pretty much anytime.in season.

I suppose you could make solar panels submersible but itā€™d probably cost more.

Yes they are. I am more pointing to the fact they built solar pa.els onto the ground in such a place. Even if you didnt.mind waterproofing.everything extra well and cleaning and digging mud out, the maintenance costs of weed control and/or spray would be offsetting. Sticking them high up isnt bad, but even better is covering roof topsā€¦

Because the well off get served first a la The Platform.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-07-14/bitcoin-miners-seek-to-go-nuclear-to-address-environmental-woes

So, made up money skyrockets in ā€œvalueā€ and then uses that ā€œvalueā€ to create made to order nuke plants, which will be used to uhmā€¦create more value?

wut? But it seems the new reactors may run on nuke waste? OKā€¦ :runaway:

1 Like

Regardless of our personal opinions of various matters. We can all come together and agree this is why we drink.

2 Likes

This only encourages Western voters to notice all the other parts of the world where carbon intensity has not yet declined to the same degree, such as China, India and Russia, whose carbon emissions per dollar of GDP stand between nine and 10 times as high as the lowest-emitting market economies.

Those countries need only import already-existing carbon-reducing technologies. Beijingā€™s new emissions-trading system almost certainly is an attempt to force recalcitrant companies to do this, as much for the sake of general economic efficiency as for any other reason. Such a transition still will be costly, to be financed either via higher consumer prices on Chinese exports or direct government subsidies. But itā€™s almost certainly cheaper than developed countriesā€™ current plans to blow another few trillion dollars trying to invent an entirely new economy to achieve only marginal emissions reductions.

Yup.

Hopefully it wonā€™t take a global military event to get us there.

1 Like

Nuclear power. Removing the reality from the virtual.

They donā€™t float? Only way I could see that being at all workable. Rafts of solar panels quite common on reservoirs and fish farms in Southern Taiwan, though I guess they might increase oxygen stress.

Ya haha. though I do see more floating ones now as well. One would think if putting them in fish farms they would still have them standing tall for exactly the reason you mentioned.

I wonder how safe they are as far as contaminating the water? I would be a little hesitant on putting them in fish farms. but maybe they are ok? all the sun, rain and wind is going to wash and erode whatever is exposed right into the water. I assume the panels are sealed up decently, but there is a lot of electrical stuff going on that may not be. I have no idea, just curious.

Given the stuff fish farms use to suppress lice and other diseases/parasites, Iā€™d think leachate from solar panels would be of relatively minor concern.

A while ago there was some discussion about sourcing manure for vegetable gardens, and I thought of the fish farm sludge (they seem to drain the ponds and bulldoze it fairly regularly, probably also in an attempt to suppress disease) which should be pretty fertile, but maybe not actually very safe.

1 Like

Canā€™t read that "Climate Change Goes Out With A Bang"article without giving Wall Street even more money, but it would seem ā€œWhimperā€ might be a better last word for the title?