Number of English teachers over the years

Just curious about the job demand. I’m thinking about moving to Taiwan to teach English. I suspect 10+ years ago was a much higher demand for English teachers, since then I bet the internet has made a lot more people aware? Anyways, i was just wondering the trends of the number of foreigners teaching English over the years. Also, anyone recommend any place to teach besides Taipei?

here it is.
http://statdb.mol.gov.tw/html/mon/212100.htm

Numbers of buxiban teachers and school teachers.
2005 – 6630 & 2060
2017 – 4453 & 2364

Not all of them are English teachers, but I think the numbers of buxiban teachers reflect the trend.

It’s not a booming market. Hsinchu or Taoyuan are best bets outside Taipei.

Why do you think the amount of English teachers has gone down in the last 12 years? I always assumed that teaching English in Taiwan had gotten more popular in the last decade and that the amount of teachers would have gone up.

The stats tando provided?

Those stats don’t really explain the reason why.

Fair point. Apologies. My money would be on demand. Fewer children.

1 Like

No worries! And that’s a reasonable theory. Quite worrying…

I understood what you asked from the following sentence, but I would answer to the question, as “it is not what I think, but a stat”.

It’s not a theory, it’s a fact. We’re beginning to feel the low birth rate pain in universities now.

1 Like

10 years ago, the number of buxiban students was 16,313.
Last year, it was 9,785.

Edit: it seems I didn’t read the stat correctly, but think the numbers reflect the trend.

Number of elementary school students declined from 1,677,439 10 yr ago to 1,146,679 last year.

2 Likes

No mystery folks, just less kids.

3 Likes

Quality over quantity, I say.

This is key. The cram schools that are thriving are the expensive ones. The British Council is doing storming business.

Mid range cram schools are fucked.

1 Like