Nursery and primary school advice

Hi. We are moving from the UK in April with our two children, aged 4 (5 in May) and 1 (2 in June). In the UK, they are both at a private nursery full-time. We have looked at schools for our older daughter starting in August and think that TAS or TES would work, if we can get in.

Are there any other recommendations for primary school? Bethany seems to have good reviews but we would prefer a non-denominational school. Also, we wondered if there would be a nursery that she could attend from April until summer, so that she doesn’t miss being around other children.

Finally, we are struggling to find nurseries for our younger daughter. Montessori ones appear when we do a search but they seem to have mixed reviews and only seem to be from aged 2. Are there good places to search for a list of nurseries?

We are still looking for a home but its likely to be in Shilin, possibly Tianmu. Would that be a good family area with access to nurseries? All advice welcome.

I’m afraid that I don’t have first-hand knowledge, but I have been asking the same questions (you might have seen my post from February 26) because my family is moving to Taipei in August with two kids (5 in September and just turned 2 this month). We will be in Taipei for 11 months (I’m an American professor on sabbatical). Neither my children or spouse know any Chinese, so we are leaning towards Tienmu as well. A friend’s son went to Smart Start in Tienmu and had a great experience, so that is looking like our best choice, especially as both boys could be at the same school (the younger would need to be at the different Tiger Tots campus if we went with TAS…assuming we could get spots). There are several Montessori options, but there is first a question how strictly they adhere to the Montessori method. Moreover, our boys have been going to a progressive, play-based school so I’m hesitant to switch them over to Montessori for just a year. And then there is the whole other question of how to find part-time child care in addition to school. Anyway, I’d be delighted to compare notes and perhaps have a play date in the fall!

Hello! I’m reaching out to join this conversation - we’re moving to Taipei with our 1 yr old son in April and I’ve been trying to research childcare options, but am having trouble finding answers. Any updates on childcare now that you’ve moved?