Nursery School for 18 months

I’m trying to look for a bilingual nursery school for my 18 months old boy, nearby Zhong Xiao East Rd Section 4, Ming Yao department store area.

Thanks!!

Most kindergardens need students nowadays. And they usually have a class or two of diaper wearing students. I know the kindys that I’ve worked at do. Just ride around your area…there are plenty of kindys all over.

aren’t most kindy’s only taking in kids from 2 years and up?

Good luck, though :wink: Please let us know when you find something.

18 months? :astonished:

Sounds cruel to me. How long do you plan to leave your child there (hours per day)?

Our girl started kindergarten about age 3, with half days at first, with mommy sticking around for a while after dropoff, with lots of encouragement, at a nice school with animals and apparently nice teachers, but even that was too much and we had to back off, take her out for a while, and wait a few months before starting again. The second try worked better, but she still has had many days when she just wanted to stay home with mommy.

I understand that most kids go through serious separation anxiety when they are first torn away from mommy/daddy/nanny and deposited at an institution for many hours with a bunch of strangers, and they’ll cry and be upset for a few weeks (or longer) before accepting it. But for an 18 month old it definitely seems premature.

Can’t you find a decent nanny instead?

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]18 months? :astonished:

Sounds cruel to me. How long do you plan to leave your child there (hours per day)?

Our girl started kindergarten about age 3, with half days at first, with mommy sticking around for a while after dropoff, with lots of encouragement, at a nice school with animals and apparently nice teachers, but even that was too much and we had to back off, take her out for a while, and wait a few months before starting again. The second try worked better, but she still has had many days when she just wanted to stay home with mommy.

I understand that most kids go through serious separation anxiety when they are first torn away from mommy/daddy/nanny and deposited at an institution for many hours with a bunch of strangers, and they’ll cry and be upset for a few weeks (or longer) before accepting it. But for an 18 month old it definitely seems premature.

Can’t you find a decent nanny instead?[/quote]

I was thinking about the whole seperation anxiety thing just yesterday. We had this one new girl at my kindy…she was extremely afraid of everything. And would cry all the time. When any male teacher would walk into the room she’d cry and say “Bao-who wah” (protect me) to whatever student was next to her. She was probably one of the worst seperation anxiety cases I’ve seen.

And then after a few months…she went from being a disgustlingly cowardly intrevert… to one of the most playful and outgoing girls in the school. She went from one extreme to the other.

She’s at the 57 second mark in this video: ca.youtube.com/watch?v=JCZC7VODN4g

Being forced away from her parents…was by far the best thing that could’ve happened to her.

Check out a place called Gymbaby. gymbaby.com.tw/1-1.htm
They take in babies as young as 3 months old. Heard some good things from a few people who sent their kids there. But it isn’t cheap.

I worked at a place which took babies from 3 months’ old, in France. Many children don’t have a carer who is able to not work for a living, or they want their child to be stimulated by a variety of people, or they simply want a break, all of which are valid reasons for not chaining yourself to your child 24-7. Ideally, a kid would be with its family until it starts school (ever considered why elementary schools don’t start when kids are three?), but not many parents, understandably, are really into that idea.

It really depends on the kid and the cognitive age of the kid and its relationship with its family as to whether they express or feel separation anxiety. There’s a window for that sort of stuff, and you avoid it with younger kids. 3 is probably the most ‘painful’ age to send a kid away because they understand the separation, but do not have a cognitive grasp on the fact that mummy will come back later. There’s an argument that younger kids will be much less traumatised, and that would definitely be backed up by my observation of hundreds of kids. It’s hard to know what they are feeling, but 18 month olds exhibit considerably less distress than older kids.

Do you want a school or just daycare? Daycare for an 18 month-old is easy enough to find, but a school with structured classes all day for children that young is something I’ve never heard of. Most working parents leave their kids with a private babysitter during the day (if family can’t watch the child) until their children are 2 or 3 (and potty-trained) and then they can enter one of the thousands of preschools around town. That’s what we did with ours. YOunger children need more attention and care, a smaller, more personal environment is best and safer for a younger child. I have the number of a great sitter if you are interested.

Hi, can anyone help. I need to make an urgent trip to Taipei and have to bring my 13 month old baby with me. I have no help with the baby and need to be going to visit my father in hospital (Taiwan Medical University Hospital). Taking my son into the hospital into ICU is out of the question. Does anyone know of any REALLY nice day nurseries or wonderful nanny? I would be looking to leave for approx 3 hours per day.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :bow: