NWOHR not qualified for Residence Certificate

No, not yet. I think she became a NWOHR when I was 2 years old. In 1995 I think. And then she got her household ,Taiwan ID in 1996.

Did she get it from her parents (your grandparents) though? as in her NWOHR status was derived from them, but she only went to get her NWOHR status when you were 2?

Ok, I don’t understand. How did she suddenly BECOME a NWOHR? That is a status that you are born with, through lineage, and usually not through marriage or any other way.

My mother holds only a Filipino passport when I was born. She got her NWOHR because my grandfather we are Filipino-Chinese. I got my NWOHR status last year because of my mom

Thanks, I think that is the best way for me right now

This is what’s confusing everyone.

Your mum did not become a NWOHR when you were 2/3. She was born a NWOHR but applied for a passport when you were 2/3

In terms of getting a TARC, having an employer sponsor your work permit and then applying as others have suggested is probably easiest

3 Likes

I got this feeling you need to head make another trip to NIA and ask again about getting a TARC under Art 9-1-1 of the Immigration Act.

Article 9
A national without household registration in the Taiwan Area shall apply to the National Immigration Agency for residence in the Taiwan Area if he/she falls within any of the following circumstances:

1. Has a lineal blood relative, a spouse, a sibling, or a spouse’s parent, who has household registration in the Taiwan Area. If the relationship is a result for adoption, the adoptee shall be a minor; he/she shall reside with the adopter in the Taiwan Area. The adoption is limited to two (2) people.

Cos it clearly doesn’t say anything about HHR being at the time of your birth (just as long as your mom currently has an active HHR).

3 Likes

Ok @blackpanther I double-checked the laws, and I BELIEVE YOU QUALIFY. Nothing in the law states that your parent needs to have household registration during your birth.

You were probably told by the NIA that you do not qualify because they probably thought that your mother was a Filipino citizen who NATURALIZED as a Taiwanese AFTER you were born.

If that was the case, then you definitely would not qualify.

HOWEVER… that was NOT the case.

They probably didn’t know that your mother was already a NWOHR by birth through your grandfather (it doesn’t matter when she obtained her first NWOHR passport).

This means that you should qualify for full Taiwanese citizenship immediately. (Besides, even if your mother wasn’t already a full Taiwanese citizen with ID when you were born, your grandfather was, right?)

Here is a nice website with the most up-to-date information about qualification for NWOHR:

And here is your qualification reason: AF353 (You have relatives, including your parents, who have an active household registration in Taiwan).

5 Likes

I doubt this is possible. The new regulation is for people born abroad with at least one parent having household registration at the time of birth. Those can immediately establish household registration.

2 Likes

Well, in any case, I believe OP should still qualify for a TARC to live in Taiwan even if they need to live in Taiwan for a year to obtain an ID.

@blackpanther The one thing you should know about Taiwan is nobody here really knows anything relating to their job, and they’d rather make up a false answer than appear clueless. You should go back to the NIA or TECO and ask a different person.

Remember, you are only trying to apply for a TARC (a card that lets you live here temporarily) at this point, not a Residence Permit yet. You might have to live here for a year to get the Residence Permit (which is a piece of paper that you exchange for an ID at the household registration office).

5 Likes

:100: :100: :100:

4 Likes

@blackpanther Agreed, a 2nd trip to see another employee may help. Try to explain that you are applying for a TARC under the reason code AF353 as mentioned by HongKonger. AF353 only cares if your mom currently has an active HHR, nothing to do with whether she already had HHR when you were born (Immigration Act (入出國及移民法) §9-1-1). After that you do your one year residence in Taiwan then apply for HHR (定居).

It might be that either the person at NIA was mistaken to think you are applying for the new 2024 direct settlement (定居) scheme under §10-1-3 (in which case when she got her HHR matters) or was mistaken about your mom’s status as a NWOHR when you were born (it’s why you have your NWOHR passport).

If the above steps all go well and you get your TARC, check with the Ministry of Manpower on whether you qualify for an Open Work Permit for your period on TARC on basis of your mom’s active HHR (Employment Services Act (就業服務法) §51-1-3) and how to apply for it. (someone else may know more)

Thanks! We will try again!

1 Like

Thanks we will go to the immigration again

The whole process is very hard. The officers there have their own versions :laughing:

3 Likes

Hi, I have a question again. I went to the immigration again and they said I’m qualified for registration certificate but they are looking for my mom’s singleness. My problem is my mom is married to my stepfather so it will reflect to her certificate that she’s married. The immigration said she should be single to process my residence certificate. Any same situation like mine?

You really need to give more information than that for someone to help.

All I can say is that a single certificate is not required if you are a son of an ROC citizen.

2 Likes

Yes, it also made me confuse because I already got my Taiwan passport but I can’t get a registration certificate because they need my mom’s singleness certificate from the Philippines. I’m born out of wedlock and I’m using my mother’s surname thats why I am really confuse right now.

I would submit an administrative complaint. The single certificate sounds irrelevant

4 Likes

This complicated things. There are additional requirements in this case, but I don’t know why your mother needs to be single now.

Are you sure they aren’t asking you to provide proof that she was single at the time of your birth? That would make a lot more sense.

2 Likes