NY Times: Taiwan the most important "place" in the world, per capita

https://www.mk.co.kr/news/english/view/2019/03/191477/

Try harder.

You don’t know them. Most of them won’t stay because it’s difficult to obtain a visa, and some probably hate living in America.

Typical American exceptionism. Silicon Valley is the only place in the world that offers that kind of salary. Do you even know how much STEM workers make in Europe or Canada? Are you gonna spew your American exceptionism on every single expat website?

So these Taiwanese don’t really care about money, but are waiting until salaries rise “even just modestly”? Sorry, but all I see here is wishful thinking.

The best way to negotiate elsewhere would be to move to a competitor for a better deal.

You in Taiwan though…Good luck.

2 Likes

It’s very hard to move anywhere when you have kids.
These people dream, just like me, but reality is they will not move home, most of them partially every year, only when retired. They will keep a foot in US cos of security and their kids won’t move back to Taiwan.

2 Likes

You people talk as if Taiwanese ppl were mass migrating to the US in droves. That hasn’t been the case since 2002.

New immigrants to the United States (2015–2019), in diversity category, by country of birth
Red >10,000
Orange 5,000–10,000
Lime 2,000–5,000
Green 1,000–2,000
Blue 500–1,000
Dark blue <500
Black = ineligible for green card lottery

Koreans migrate to America multiple times more than Taiwanese do. I guess Korea is essentially dead then.

1 Like

It helps if you have enough money to put your kids into TAS.

1 Like

Sorry to burst your bubble but there are highly paid STEM workers in Europe and Canada too. Sure, Silicon Valley-level salaries might be less common, but we’re still talking multiples of what peers in Taiwan make. And in these markets, depending on the type of company you work for, equity compensation is also possible, so those with real talent have the potential for meaningful upside too.

And lets not talk about work hours, how employers treat you, etc.

But I get it. Some people don’t deal well with the reality that people doing the same type of work they are get paid a lot more for it in a different place.

So carry on. Taiwan is #1 for workers. The salaries are here are great! The cost of living is low! Night market food is awesome! Kaohsiung has had fantastic air every day this year! Blah blah.

Right, according to the reputable source called your ass.

Very few Taiwanese work in Europe in tech because taxes and a shit ton of other deductions account for more than half of what the payroll suggests.

You certainly are an expert in twisting other people’s words.

Yeah last time I handed in my notice with this lot I was mysteriously offered a NTD40,000 rise.

2 Likes

Where did I say large numbers of Taiwanese work in Europe, or want to work in Europe? I simply stated that there are jobs that pay very well for STEM talent in Europe and Canada.

It’s ok. If believing that everyone outside of Silicon Valley is making peanuts helps you sleep better at night, keep channeling Journey and “don’t stop believing.”

Per month? :open_mouth:

And he left and laughed all the way to the bank.

1 Like

If STEM paid so well in Europe and Canada, why don’t you provide some sources?

According to Gitlab’s location factor. If San Francisco’ pay grade before tax was 100, it’s 70 after tax. Germany would be 36 after tax, and Taiwan would be 34 after tax.

And? There are jobs that pay very well for STEM talent in Taiwan as well.

First year at TSMC (1.5 mil) is higher than all of those averages. The max. salary is probably all in Switzerland.

This doesn’t look too impressive either. Actually after tax it’s tragic.

Are you seriously telling me this is well-paid (in tech btw, it’s not median salary in Berlin period)?

1 Like

are you familiar with the local salaries?

these stats are not very representative and seem to be automatically generated.

but anyways, 4583€ is still over the average salary, . for an average IT guy not so bad, i guess. since the average salary is 2800€ for the general population but probably much lower.

1 Like

Well according to RBE it’s supposed to be 10x what Taiwanese IT people are making. 4583 after tax is probably 3000.

Yes. Muppets.

Not that I particularly agree with RBE, but you’re comparing average sector salaries with one of the highest paying large employers in Taiwan.

Average salary at google in U.K. is well over £200k pa. Makes TSMC salaries look comical.

4 Likes

you need to show that me.

And TSMC recruits probably the same amount of new employees as half of the entirety of Google UK.

https://www.brutto-netto-rechner.info/gehalt/gross_net_calculator_germany.php

4583 gross = 3099 net

This link is silly. Those kids want to live abroad while they work for American companies, making more than the locals, lowering their cost of living (in many cases) and having an adventure. As an American who runs a business generating income in the US while living abroad, I can attest to the fact that this can be a sweet deal.

Not sure what your point was about GitLab. Tons of Taiwanese software engineers would love to work in Taiwan for a foreign company that paid them based on a salary locally indexed to an average US wage for software engineers in the Bay Area.

As for your salary links from sites like PayScale and MeetFrank, like I said, don’t stop believing. I mean, the idea that the minimum salary for “software engineering” in the UK is £500, while it’s £1,100 for “customer support” should be a hint about the accuracy of the data.

And for clarity:

This “once salaries rise even just modestly Taiwan’s star will rise again” dream you have is totally disconnected from the reality that in the US, talented STEM workers are well paid and in places like Silicon Valley, can routinely make in a year what their Taiwanese peers might make in 10.

I didn’t say that everyone makes 10x what Taiwanese make. But yes, there are many talented STEM workers in Silicon Valley who make 10x in a year what their peers in Taiwan make. I’m sorry if that reality bothers you.

I don’t know where you get your TSMC numbers from. This article states much lower starting salary numbers. But even so, do you have any idea what an engineer with a Master’s degree can earn at a big tech company or late-stage startup in the US?

How many TSMCs are there in Taiwan? If you’re an engineer who wants to make $1.5 million/year in Taiwan, how many options do you have? Not everyone can work for TSMC.

Finally, beyond pure salary, there are numerous other factors that makes working overseas so attractive to Taiwanese workers, such as work hours, overall treatment, the possibility of equity compensation, fringe benefits, higher quality of life, prestige, etc.

2 Likes