NY Times: Taiwan the most important "place" in the world, per capita

The article is naive because in the long run there’s no way the PRC doesn’t become a global leader in chip making. It will take some time but they are investing hugely and paying top dollar for Tawainese engineers. Trump being a self defeating dick to China just caused them to focus even more on chip production. The West is braindead if it doesn’t see what’s going to happen.

Are you blind? The minimum in Europe is 500, not in the UK.

They get 30 months of salaries.

And like I said, no one is contesting that US tech pays astronomical salaries. The big techs in America are in a league of its own, and it’s also why all the talks about China surpassing the US are nothing more than a pipedream.

But you claiming that salaries in Europe or elsewhere are also multiples of Taiwan is complete bullshit, except Switzerland. The situation you describe is strictly exclusive to extremely limited locations in America. You clearly are not aware of the massive pay gap between America and elsewhere.

You obviously aren’t familiar with the hiring process of TSMC. The competition is very low, and their pay isn’t even the highest.

Except what you said originally was

STEM pays well in Ireland and the UK and Switzerland and Scandinavia
But it’s IT developers that make the big money.

I prefer vision impaired. So what’s your point? That being a software engineer in Romania or Lithuania is less attractive than being a software engineer in Taiwan?

And yet significant numbers of Taiwanese have left to work in China because China tech pays substantially more.

And I do believe that’s true in many cases, especially for the most talented Taiwanese.

Here’s something to ponder though. You seem to think Taiwan has a reasonably compelling salary and cost of living environment for STEM workers. So where are all the engineers from the West looking to work here?

2 Likes

That’s not inevitable. So far they failed badly at the 'stealing Taiwanese engineers ’ strategy. Now they can’t access the cutting edge uv lasers. All those patent problems.

2 Likes

stem pays well relatively anywhere. IT of course. you need the right knowledge or idea.

what i’m missing in this thread and forum here is the realistic perspective.
most of us are not in the stem or IT industry. the salary drops a lot when you take this out of the calculation.

1 Like

My point is you should read more carefully.

Says China Times.

Same reason why few Taiwanese STEM workers are looking to work in the likes of France. What’s the point uprooting your livelihood and moving to another continent when there’s no substantial improvement?

1 Like

Whenever you lose an argument, you throw out a false dichotomy.

Of course money matters. It’s not the only consideration. You’ve obviously never talked to a Taiwanese engineer in the states.

I’m sorry, but you’re living in the past. The 80s and early 90s were 30+ years ago. The world has changed. Look at the vast wealth that has been created in Silicon Valley, China, etc. in just the past decade.

In the 80s and early 90s many Taiwanese gave up higher salaries and larger homes in Silicon Valley to go home. Otherwise, Taiwan would not have an IT industry today. Nothing will be different this time around.

I live in the United States.

You can keep waiting while those who can see the situation for what it is cash in. This “once salaries rise even just modestly Taiwan’s star will rise again” dream you have is totally disconnected from the reality that in the US, talented STEM workers are well paid and in places like Silicon Valley, can routinely make in a year what their Taiwanese peers might make in 10.

You’re just making crap up.

1 Like

Oh dear.

Keep on believing.

PRC propaganda effort is not worth discussing. They are not offering this kind of money to engineers in other countries. There was never serious brain drain to China. It was almost entirely media manipulation.

Besides, they’ve been doing this for 10+ years. A decade later SMIC is practically dead.

1 Like

Big fail though…It’s actually not all about the talent.

So then why don’t you enlighten us? Just how much more modestly do salaries here need to increase before Taiwanese STEM workers come running back, sparking a tech boom? $50,000 NT/year? $500,000 NT/year? Give a number.

Like I said, you’re predicting the future based on what happened 30+ years ago. The world has changed, and continues to change. Past isn’t always prologue.

And?

What STEM workers are paid in Silicon Valley is not a well-kept secret. I’m really sorry you don’t like the fact that lots of people there make shitloads of money. I don’t know if it’s envy or something else, but it is what it is.

The 3000 claim was contested by TSMC and 100 is nothing. TSMC hires thousands new employees every year. They just had one of their best years ever becoming the absolute uncontested king of semiconductors and employing around 10k new employees to keep their lead and possibly even widen it.

1 Like

…hold it?

TSMC is an amazing company and will continue to do well. I happen to think that China isn’t going to be very successful with many/most of it’s efforts.

But that has no bearing on the fact that China is spending huge sums of money trying and that creates opportunity for people who want to make money.

It’s pretty common knowledge that lots of Taiwanese STEM workers are interested and willing to go work in China because they can easily double or triple their salary. The geopolitical situation and pandemic has changed that a bit but there’s still lots of interest in going to the US, etc.

1 Like

All your claims are ridiculous. Taiwanese GDP per capita is growing at multiples of any other major economy while at the same time we have a ridiculously solid debt/gdp and the currency has been constantly strengthening during the past decade with no end in sight. The income gap has been closed and soon the difference will be big enough to “feel” the difference.

This is not to say working in Taiwan is better or easier, the work culture is stupid and work hours are too long but its funny that people can still debate Taiwan’s economic performance.

Sure, I’ll ask.

1 Like

Where did I talk about Taiwan’s economic performance? Taiwan’s economy is doing great. That doesn’t mean that a sizable portion of the gains are being shared with the workers. Catch up.

1 Like

It would be extremely risky now to jump from TSMC to an unknown Chinese fab. It would be a better move for them to go to Samsung or Intel or whatever Taiwanese company … somewhere established and they don’t need to deal with Chinese people.

Surely few are going now unless they are desperate academics from those private unis . A large number seem to have come home recently due to the pandemic and few will be going the other way. Would be good to see the numbers .