NyQuil

Where can I find the wonderdrug NyQuil?

What does NyQuil do? Does it stop you posting the same message in two different forums?

Ah, it’s a cold remedy, I see, but oh dear, what’s this?[quote]Nyquil contains the decongetant pseudoephedrine, which is chemically similar to amphetamine, and may, to the best of my knowledge, cause false positive drug screens. Good luck![/quote]
Better not take that stuff when you’re due for a health check!

Source: http://www.medhelp.org/forums/addiction/archive/231.html

I have never seen NyQuil in Taiwan, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t lurking somewhere…

I usually just get family to send the tablets in my care packages; works like a charm and I’m NyQuilled (NyQuiled? NyQuil’d?).

Best of luck finding some; it’s counterpart, DayQuil, seems just as effective, if not as pleasantly sleep inducing…

Bump. Anyone spotted any yet? Or know a good replacement drug?

Vick’s Nyquil active ingredient list:

Acetaminophen 500mg (pain reliever/fever reducer)
Dextromethorphan HBr 15mg (cough suppressant)
Doxylamine succinate 6.25mg (antihistamine)

“inactive” ingredients:
alcohol, citric acid, D&C Yellow No. 10, FD&C Green No. 3, FD&C Yellow No. 6, flavor, high fructose corn syrup, polyethylene glycol, propylene glycol, purified water, saccharin sodium, sodium citrate.

Note the alcohol. Lots and lots of alcohol. There’s more alcohol than water in that syrup! The propylene glycol is also kind of funny - it’s also marketed as an engine coolant. Do not drink propylene glycol’s cousin, ethylene glycol, because you will die.

Acetaminophen is just Tylenol.

Dextromethorphan is an opiod (opiate) narcotic.

Doxylamine succinate is an incredibly sedative antihistimine (it’s actually marketed as Unisom (a sleeping pill)).

Alcohol + Opioid + Sleeping Pill = that dreamy Nyquil feeling.

I’m just getting over a quick bout of bronchitis and have been self-medicating here in Taiwan. I can’t believe you can get an addictive narcotic like codeine (if you absolutely have to stop coughing) over-the-counter here. If you go to the pharmacy, you can probably find all of the ingredients in other drugs and make your own Nyquil-equivalent. I have no idea how much alcohol you’ll need though.

I’m getting by with just dextromethorphan, pseudoephedrine and guaifensin. My “home-brew” is something between Dayquil + Dayquil Sinus + Robitussin expectorant. I cut out the psuedoephedrine at night to sleep.

I had to resort to mixing my own because all of the other over-the-counter cough medicines seemed to be geared for the Taiwanese life-style of suicidal, non-stop work. Some of the cough medicines have codiene (an addictive narctoric) that makes you sleepy. So, to keep you awake at work, they throw in loads of caffiene as a stimulant. 1) I don’t need codiene to stop coughing, sort of like cutting butter with a chainsaw and 2) I can’t sleep with a stimulant in my cough medicine.