NZ 'marae' youth court shows early promise

[quote]A marae is a sacred place for Maori and Pacific Islanders. It could be a hall or a church, where people gather to celebrate their culture. It is also where important ceremonies such as weddings and funerals are held.

But in the North Island city of Gisborne, marae have a new purpose - they are being used as a youth court.

Judge Hemi Taumaunu says it is a first for New Zealand.

“There was a feeling amongst the professionals that something needed to be done and then support was gained to take the court, as we have done, from this building to the marae,” he said.

While Maori make up only 15 per cent of the New Zealand population, they make up half of the prison population.

But over the past six months, defence lawyer Phil Dreifuss says there have been real signs of progress.

“Well, I think the proof in the pudding is going to be down the track when we see if there’s any reoffending, but certainly from the point of view of the attitude of the young people, the fact that they’re turning up and not missing court, I think that’s all showing that it’s working for them,” he said.

Mr Dreifuss says while a young Maori offender’s case is being heard, the judge makes the youth aware of their connection to the marae.

“They look up and they see their ancestors and they know that this place has some meaning for them. I think it’s very significant,” he said.

Thomas, 14, recently appeared in the marae-based youth court.

“I was hanging around with the wrong crowd and doing burglaries and all of that,” he said.

The teenager says he was treated as an equal in the marae.

“Better than the High Court because there the judges [are] way meaner. They [marae court judges] are nice to you. He sets a goal out for a year and then I just do it and he just changed my life too.”

The youth services coordinator for New Zealand Police, Sergeant Craig Smith, says there is a lot more respect for proceedings under the new system.

“We’re finding that there’s a big level in respect and attitude. It’s a real attitude change with all persons concerned, but more so with the young people,” he said.

"We see the attitudes are left at the door and often in the district court or in the youth court we see people walking in and it’s just a huge swing in attitude.

“More respect, so it’s early days at this stage but it’s impressive.”

Mr Dreifuss wants the program introduced across New Zealand. He says it is clear the current system is not working and it is time to try something different.

“It’s more light-hearted than the court. They’re both very solemn places but we have a laugh here, we have a cup of tea, we have a talk, it’s good,” he said.

"If the politicians want to reduce crime they should come and have a look at what’s happening here. This is dealing with crime in the initial stages. It’s dealing with young people when they’re first offending.

“If it works, and I think it will, we won’t see them again, rather than this talk of three strikes then you’re out and putting people in jail forever. This way they’ll never get to jail.”[/quote]

Source.

Quote:

Ha ha ha! No, it’s a place where darkie gets on the piss (of course, being an almost alcoholic i can’t complain with that). It’s also a place where women are not supposed to speak. Oh, and quite a few of my darkie* acquaintances have complained about thefts when they are at such “sacred places.”

*“darkie” is shorthand for Maori and Pacific Islanders.

My mum is 67 years old and works at a kindergarten which is 95% non-white. She loves the kids and does her best for them. But her darkie staff are completely unreliable - she has “teachers” who have to take time off for distant relatives and it adds up to an enormous amount of time. My mother has cancer and went into hospital on Monday for an operation; she was working on the Friday.

I take it you’re a skeptical pakeha.

Yep. Grew up with the Maori. They mature quicker than whitey and they are big buggers; so you have to be good with your fists- I was always big and good with my hands (and my tongue too I guess) so I never had a problem. They’re a smart people but have been destroyed by left wing welfare bullshit. By this I mean they have been encouraged to take courses in basket weaving (to connect with their culture) rather than proper stuff like engineering that will actually get them a job.

Yep. Grew up with the Maori. They mature quicker than whitey and they are big buggers; so you have to be good with your fists- I was always big and good with my hands (and my tongue too I guess) so I never had a problem. They’re a smart people but have been destroyed by left wing welfare bullshit. By this I mean they have been encouraged to take courses in basket weaving (to connect with their culture) rather than proper stuff like engineering that will actually get them a job.[/quote]

It seems this present initiative is a definite step to the right of basket weaving, and engenders respect for authority in the young people. I find it difficult to view this negatively.

Go live with them for a few years then come back and tell me about it.

Go live with them for a few years then come back and tell me about it.[/quote]

What has that to do with this present initiative?

I’m saying what sounds good on paper doesn’t work in reality.
I’m saying that if you had lived with the NZ Negro, you would have a different opinion.

Hope all goes well with your mum, Almas.

This program sounds similar to something a friend was involved in several years back in NZ. In that case it involved intervention for kids about to be hurled out of schools for problem behaviour. The intervention centred on putting the responsibility back on the kids to lift their game and was very successful.

HG

I’m saying what sounds good on paper doesn’t work in reality.
I’m saying that if you had lived with the NZ Negro, you would have a different opinion.[/quote]
Payback is a muddafugger.
Glad to read that kiwi nomenclature is only a half-century or so behind the rest of the Commonwealth.

Well, I was just being naughty and having fun (i.e. looking to bait North Americans). The “kiwi Negro” thing was a forumosan in joke - Fortigurn used the lesser N word to describe Obama, and he got a lot of flak for it.

As for incorporating aspects of Maori culture into the legal system, I am okay with it if it works. However, as a general rule I am opposed to this sort of thing. Maoris are pretty well integrated into mainstream society and the average Maori and Whitey live pretty similar lives. I have a problem with those promoting traditional culture as a means to modern problems. Having some knowledge of and pride in your culture is good, but when taken too far it is counterproductive. To be more specific I would rather see Maori chaps studying engineering than Ethnic Studies and Basket Weaving 101.

I’m saying what sounds good on paper doesn’t work in reality.[/quote]

Doesn’t necessarily work in reality, I agree. This seems to be working.

That’s quite possible (I have no experience of living in New Zealand, still less with Maoris, and I am not in a position to contest even your anecdotal experiences), but I don’t see that it has anything to do with this initiative.

Sounds very good to me.

Sure did. Good to see you’re allowed to call Marois ‘Negroes’. I suppose they don’t really care what happens to black people outside the US.

Sure, and this seems to be working.

Traditional culture is not always an effective means of solving modern problems, but in this case it shows promise and is founded on sound modern sociological principles. If young people develop respect for foundation authority figures such as parents, teachers, and representatives of the law, their interactions with those authority figures (and their behaviour with regard to the law), will generally be positive rather than negative. I say anything which helps to achieve this is a good thing, and I would like to see the same done for all young people, not simply the Maoris.

This is being discussed on another forum (Australian, over 100,000 members), and the general feeling is not only that this is a very good idea, but that it’s an initiative we could use in Australia for both the indigenous and non-indigenous youth.

I would agree. I think this is well beyond Basket Weaving 101. It’s more along the lines of Learning to Be a Member of Society 101, which more kids need to learn (regardless of their ethnic background).

You’re right, of course. I was being a drunken arsehole posting drunken bullshit. Sorry about that. There are certain words that - especially when I am very drunk - set me off on angry rants. I won’t go into the details of why, but the word “marae” is one of them.

Cook me some bloody eggs, woman!

I can appreciate that. And a gracious post too. :notworthy:

I think I see the problem here. You were forced to fight the men and pleasure the women. Presumably this happened in the marae?

Going even more off-topic, I had a kiwi friend (now sadly deceased) who used to write regular email newsletters and articles which were very informative and funny. He always concluded with “local iwi have been consulted.”