NZ working holiday for Taiwanese friend

A friend of mine wants to do the NZ working holiday thing. Maybe not for a whole year – maybe just a few months.

I think that most Taiwanese people who do this pay agencies to sort out the paperwork and to help them get jobs and find accomodation. This is what she’s planning to do to.

I said I’d ask around for her to see if anyone knew of any tips on accomodation or jobs or NZ working holidays in general. I’ve had a look at the NZ immigration agency’s webpages on this, which are useful and have some good links. But if anyone has any specific information or tips that could be very useful too.

Thanks!

workingholidaytaiwan.org.tw/

Don’t bother paying an agent!

We got a WHV to Oz for my better half. The paper work is simple, just do it yourself. It takes about ten mins to fill out, you really don’t need an agent for this.

I wouldn’t worry too much about accomodation. Just tell them to book a hostel online and buy a newspaper when they get there.

Check out the Lonley Planet Thorn Tree message board. Lots of useful stuff.

backpackers.com.tw/forum/portal.php (Chinese site - don’t know if they do NZ, but my girlie posts concerning OZ)

Hope this helps.

L.

[quote=“Limey”]Don’t bother paying an agent!

We got a WHV to Oz for my better half. The paper work is simple, just do it yourself. It takes about ten mins to fill out, you really don’t need an agent for this.

I wouldn’t worry too much about accomodation. Just tell them to book a hostel online and buy a newspaper when they get there.

Check out the Lonley Planet Thorn Tree message board. Lots of useful stuff.

backpackers.com.tw/forum/portal.php (Chinese site - don’t know if they do NZ, but my girlie posts concerning OZ)

Hope this helps.

L.[/quote]Thanks for the tips and the link, Limey. When I looked at the NZ immigration website the procedure did seem quite easy. My friend was under the impression that you had to have a NZ sponsor, but I’ve just looked at the WHV application form and listing NZ contacts is just optional.

I personally know there is a shitload of work in NZ doing fruit picking and vineyard laboring at the moment.

The best places for that is Marlborough (Top of the South) and Hawkes Bay/Gisborne (East coast of the North Island).

I heard that some harvests are getting spoiled due to lack of workers, so it would be my suggestion to think along these lines to have a decent shot at it. The weather is damn near perfect in these places too.

HTH

Thanks, Truant. How about opportunities in September/October/November? Not being very agriculturally minded, all I can think of is berry-picking. Any of that over there?

[Edit: Just realised that berry-picking season in NZ, if there is such a thing, is probably in March/April/May.]

[quote=“joesax”]Thanks, Truant. How about opportunities in September/October/November? Not being very agriculturally minded, all I can think of is berry-picking. Any of that over there?

[Edit: Just realised that berry-picking season in NZ, if there is such a thing, is probably in March/April/May.][/quote]

I believe with vineyard work, there is work most of year but it changes depending on the seasons (Pruning/Tying/Planting/Picking/spraying etc)

I’m not an agriculture expert either, but I am sure there will be some info on the web about what is mostly likely available around that time.

Last time I was in NZ, five years ago, there was an article in the paper about labour shortages in agricultural areas. The authorities had even gone so far as to set up a fast-track in-country scheme to convert tourist visas to working visas. You could basically find a job and start work while the paperwork was in process.

NZ rocks, I only picked Oz because of my profession, otherwise I would love to move there. I wish I were young enough for another WHV. Probably the best 11 months of my life - working, travelling and relaxing.

Fruit picking is hard work, is your friend up to it? Check out Willing workers on Organic Farms (Wwoof - wwoof.org/) we are going to do a bit of that this time. I believe they have members in NZ, but I haven’t looked.

Enjoy.

L.