Objectivity and bias in media

Not to seems deliberate. The last four years in particular have proved to be an aberration of the implied service the news was supposed to provide, and I don’t see it readjusting to what it was before then, because like, ya can’t.

1 Like

Mentioned in Corona open thread, sharing here too:

On May 26th at 3:00 Facebook reversed its policy regarding articles posted which stated Covid was Manmade…

In light of ongoing investigations into the origin of COVID-19 and in consultation with public health experts, we will no longer remove the claim that COVID-19 is man-made or manufactured from our apps. We’re continuing to work with health experts to keep pace with the evolving nature of the pandemic and regularly update our policies as new facts and trends emerge.

Direct source:

WSJ opinion article highlights the ridiculousness of Social Media Bias changing at the whim of Democrats government. This type of control over the media is akin to what China does, not a good look for Democracies.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2021/05/27/facebook-covid-man-made/

Washington Post makes bizarre statement that “this could increase anti-asian sentiment” instead of clarifying for the reader that this has nothing to do with Asians and everything to do with CCP handling of Wuhan outbreak.

So does that mean it’s ok for institutional racism again? Asking for a friend.

NYT 2018 vs. 2021. See if you can spot the difference…

1 Like

I know, I know, pick me!
In the one from 2017 Trump was adding huge amounts to the deficit in order to give tax breaks to the rich, which, in spite of what he was claiming at the time, had no effect on investment.

In 2021, Biden is adding huge amounts to the deficit in order to spend on infrastructure, child- and eldercare, education, and relief from covid.

Do I get a prize?

1 Like

Of course.

2 Likes

Ah media. What will they do when the power cuts out?

How it started:

After Washington Compost stealth editing job:

3 Likes

Probably try to find out what Texas GOP did now. :sweat_smile:

It is pretty funny how easy it is to trick these guys though. Maybe we need some smarter politicians.

The journalist Ken Klippenstein tricked prominent Republicans, such as Congressman Matt Gaetz, Matt Schlapp, and Dinesh D’Souza, into retweeting a military portrait of President John F. Kennedy’s assassin, Lee Harvey Oswald, on Memorial Day.

I can’t argue with that sentiment.

But pretending to have a veteran grandpa to trick pols into retweet’s or whatever kinda makes this guy not a journalist no more, right? Now, he’s Borat.

Not really concerned about whether he’s a journalist or not, more interested in the clowns he’s picking on.

But someone could easily try to troll democrats the same way, I’m sure we’ll see those results any day now. God knows there are people out there willing to try…maybe they can find some…but from experience it’s the ones trolled here who get overly eager and don’t think before acting.

I hear the White House Press Corp never got around to asking about Fauci’s emails, but the intrepid reporters did have time to ask this.

2 Likes

Thanks for the cat update, please keep us posted!

3 Likes

That seems odd. Journalists don’t play Gotcha. What’s the point? You say they’re clowns and what, it is OK to entrap people you already dislike/disagree with and present them as clowns?

We are in the correct thread…that’s for sure.

I heard they did ask and she threw the question directly back to Fauci. His neck is out now.

White House press secretary Jen Psaki declined to comment on the substance of the emails during the briefing on Thursday, though they showed he worked behind the scenes to cast doubt on the theory that the coronavirus originated in a Wuhan, China, laboratory, a hypothesis that he is still unsure of.

“Let me just say on Dr. Fauci and his emails, he’s also spoken to this many, many times over the course of the last few days, and we’ll let him speak for himself, and he’s been an undeniable asset in our country’s pandemic response," Psaki said. "But it’s obviously not that advantageous for me to relitigate the substance of emails from 17 months ago.”

I miss that binder lady.

3 Likes

meh, they are clowns. They’re usually eager to post anything without thinking it through, not like this is the first, or worst example of this. If someone could do it to democrats, wouldn’t bother me either.

It bothers me as the information they present isn’t news. It’s bias.

I think one could argue they’ve already established a pattern of similar sloppiness/eagerness to post anything without checking, and are worth testing. Nothing wrong with press testing knowledge of politicians either. Seems a little whiny in here.

Would you be OK with your doctor being so unprofessional? Your mechanic? Your dentist?

1 Like