Objectivity and bias in media

Something is wrong with the plot of their movie

For those who periodically tune in and tune out of the Israel-Palestine situation, the events of recent days and weeks might seem like a replay of a movie they have seen before: Palestinians are being forced from their homes; Israel drops bombs on Gaza; Palestinians fire rockets from Gaza; Israel destroys most of the rockets with an air defense system that is largely paid for by American taxpayers.

This was nice today from the Woke Press

Then, on May 10, in an event widely seen as a provocation, thousands of far-right flag-waving Israeli activists gathered for a planned march through the heart of the Muslim Quarter of the Old City to celebrate Israel’s capture of contested east Jerusalem in 1967.
At the last minute, the Israeli government ordered marchers to change their route, but by then it was too late. Hamas, saying it was protecting Jerusalem, launched a barrage of long-range rockets at the city, crossing an Israeli “red line” and sparking the war.

That is usually kind of a “red line”, wouldn’t you think? Is that more or less than a “provocation”? It’s not especially clear.

1 Like

Which is a dick move.

Which is murderous.

2 Likes

Competing for who can go right over the edge

In a recent segment, journalist Pearson Sharp accused Newsmax of professing to be conservative but not backing former President Donald Trump strongly enough.

“Then there was Newsmax, which likes to project an image of being home for conservative, right-leaning or at the very least center-right news,” Pearson Sharp said. “A place where anyone who’s tired of Fox’s increasingly left-wing angles can find a fresh take on news. But is that really the case?”

1 Like

Yup good video @tempogain always good to see the narrative being pushed and the MSM pushing the idea of more control over trusted sources is one they have been doing for a while.

My YouTube keeps suggesting I watch more Chef Jean-Pierre. Hadn’t seen his videos until recently, I quite like the guy.

1 Like

You should see what mine suggests. Shocking, just shocking

1 Like

I’m sorry but I couldn’t find where in the opinion piece that called for the annihilation of the Jewish race.

US Today has a nice little hit piece on Time Scot, you know THE ONLY BLACK GOP SENATOR!!!

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/news/politics/2021/05/23/tim-scott-steps-into-spotlight-negotiating-police-reform-gop/4935634001/

I checked. The dems have TWO! TWO black senators!!!

And as a side, the pictures on that link are in black and white, not color. :ponder: :whistle: :crazy_face:

That’s what Palestinians mean when they eschew a two state solution and promote a one-state solution.

You mean the whole entire history of Israel and the Palestinian loosers wasn’t made clear in the one single short opinion piece?

That’s just so media!

I’m sure that there are people on both sides that want to be rid of the other, but apart from the piece being a bit long-winded and badly written, the author expressly advocated “for equal rights for Palestinians to end what is increasingly obviously a de facto apartheid system”.

Who fact checks the fact checkers?

And:

3 Likes

What’s that supposed to mean? I don’t think there’s enough information in that sentence to make sense - what is/was PolitiFact’s reporting about the origin of COVID-19? Were they saying that it didn’t originate before, but now they agree that it did? :thinking:

Honestly, I expected to see more when clicking on that image - the version comparison was a bit disappointing. The author(s) apparently made a few minor style changes, mostly to eliminate bias:

• “have more than enough evidence” to “say they have enough evidence” (removing bias - it puts the emphasis on that being what the virologists etc. said, rather than it being an indisputable truth)
  • “not the Wuhan lab” deleted (seems redundant from the context - the implication is still clear and the same either way)
  • “is” to “appears to be” (removing bias as above)

Should have been fixed during editing and before publication, but happens all the time. I’m surprised the guy thought these trivial revisions warranted a tweet.

1 Like

I seem to have concluded that there was indeed a reason, one in particular, that editing standards were loosened from 2016-2020.

1 Like

Speaking of bias, “between mar 2020 and now” seems to want to suggest that it’s a pretty recent edit (due to different administration?), and not an edit made back in apr 2020.

1 Like

Those edits were made apr 2020, a month after it was published. Not for the reason that we’re not in the 16-20 admin.

That is an implied claim, without evidence, that can easily be debunked. Clearly, editors are simply backlogged and going back to old articles to make minor edits which do not fundamentally transform the nature of the articles. That they edited this article just as Dr. Fauci clarified his position by completely contradicting his previous position is obviously a coincidence. Any implication otherwise is just a conspiracy theory forwarded by white suprememacists in the alt-right media.

2 Likes

Yep, you partly, accidentally got it right (conspiracy nuts!) while trying to be sarcastic.

Yeah, it seems that the edits were made shortly after the article was published. There’s a more detailed comparison here: https://draftable.com/compare/XOuKlPxwXMZN

Many of the changes just seem like general editing stuff - removing “On Monday” and similar outdated stuff and updating the details of some study. The changes would probably justify an editor’s note at the top to say what had been altered (and there is one, at least in the current version), but the tweet seems disappointing and overblown.

Don’t know, but this stuff happens with online media I guess. I’m not sure it’s necessary to shoehorn Trump into this.

At least someone is making progress. I’d hate to think that we’re going through all this noise for nothing in return.