Objectivity and bias in media

Now you do!

1 Like

I see there have some been happenings in Nathan Robinson’s world recently.

MOney quote:

"We thought Nathan was completely on board with it until right before he fired us.

2 Likes

This is so infuriating. Sure, and how many more people live in the US now compared to then and how does that make the numbers, while sad, not as dramatic as the headline intended it to be?

He talks in percentages for police shootings. I wonder what the numbers (numerators/denominators) are.

According to the article, " Population : The US population is now triple what it was in 1918. So while the Covid-19 death toll may be higher, the 1918 flu pandemic apparently killed a higher proportion of Americans, Kissler said."

Not as grabbing, is it?

1 Like

No. But it is a milestone, and I don’t know how you would fit the other details into a headline. They should have put the part about population size in the opening paragraph.

2 Likes

If IIRC, the Spanish Flu was especially deadly for children, and less so for adults. The Wuhan Flu is very much the opposite. It makes the tragedy much different to me.

Just had to remove “ABC News” from my Google feed, as after half of these idiots have been clogging it for days with every single development and non-development about the disappearance of some random woman (as best as can tell), they had the gall to inform me that according to “experts” (lol), it actually represented a case of “missing white woman syndrome” (lol), as if A) that was actually a real thing, B) fucking thousands probably of white women go missing all the time without any notice, and C) people of color are never reported about in the news. Well, I won’t miss them I think.

2 Likes

I did the same for the same reason. The woman is dead ffs. But that’s not the REAL issue.

Oh, you have been missing out on headline reporting from Dog the Bounty Hunter that as far as I can tell his hot on the trail of whoever this guy is that they are tracking. Has to be an exciting finale in all this.

God, don’t make me laugh.

2 Likes

Are you sure you don’t want updates,

There’s a story on Fox Brian Laundrie’s dad receives Dunkin Donuts, other packages outside house as America hunts son

Just read this. I liked this quote:

News in America used to be fun to talk about, fun to joke about, interesting to think about. Now it’s an interminable bummer, because the press business has taken on characteristics of that other institution where talking, joking, and thinking aren’t allowed: church. We have two denominations, both as fact-averse as real churches, as is shown in polls about, say, pandemic attitudes, where Americans across the board consistently show they know less than they think.

And “This is an excerpt from today’s subscriber-only post. To read the entire article and get full access to the archives, you can subscribe for $5 a month or $50 a year.:grin:

1 Like

Yeah…I’ll see if I can dig up the rest of it later. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Jesus Christ.

Right thread?

sure it is. fox doesn’t care about president bone spurs’ taxes, but here is a woman who lost her legs and how dare she not give more to her country!