Objectivity and bias in media

The point here is big tech is trying to manipulate the kind of news people can and can’t hear, Hunter Bidens laptop was a good example, Twitter banned the NY Post for posting a perfectly good story and then all social media decided no one was allowed to talk about it, if you posted on Facebook about it you would get a strike.

The reason why was obvious, they didn’t want to hurt Joe Bidens chances of being elected.

Now the election is over, apparently the MSM have decided it’s ok to talk about it now. I’m not even sure why, maybe they are prepping the waters to push Joe out and Kamala in sooner than we thought.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/12/09/politics/hunter-biden-tax-investigtation/index.html

5 Likes

At this point if you don’t see the bias in the media, you’re being deliberately obtuse.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Oopsie poopsie, The NYT got caught up in its own narrative. You. Don’t Say.

" Caliphate represents the modern New York Times ," Sam Dolnick, an assistant managing editor, said in unveiling the project. “It’s ambitious, rigorous, hard-nosed reporting combined with first-rate digital storytelling. We’re taking our audience to dangerous places they have never been, and we’re doing it with more transparency than we ever have before.”

In the interview with NPR lasting nearly an hour, Baquet says the Times did not have evidence Chaudhry had ever been to Syria. Nor could it show he had joined ISIS, much less killed civilians for the group. The man’s account proved to be riddled with holes and contradictions. Even when confronting some of them, the reporting and producing team sought ways to show his story could still turn out to be true.

Now the hard question is why on earth the NYT thought that this was the narrative worth presenting. :idunno:

1 Like

Because they thought any shit that was about scary Moooslim terrorists would sell? They’ve been doing it since Judith Miller helped con America into Dubya’s war.

1 Like

The great jazz saxophonist — and Kansas City native — Charlie Parker didn’t get a major headline in the newspaper until his death, Fannin wrote.

“And even then, his name was misspelled and his age was wrong,” he said.

Now multiply that by newspapers and tv news coverage across the country and you’ll have a glimpse of the bias problem.

So now lack of coverage is racist?

“Who wants to talk about something a ______ does?- (fill in the blank: jigaboo, chink, kike, gook, spic…). So what? I don’t want to have to read about one of them.”
Sounds pretty racist to me.
Somebody of your race achieves something? Big deal.
Somebody of your race who has achieved something dies? Who cares.
I guess if someone only wants to read about people of their own race, that’s on them.
I guess you could make an exception for bad people of another race.

If they adjust coverage based on race, then yes. Why would it not be considered so?

Yeah, the problem is finding an apolitical news source that is not deathly dull.

Did they? Most news is decided regarding how much money it will make. Did the KC Royals’ players of color receive less press in the sports section?

Sounds like yer looking for entertainment.

So reflecting the values of a racist society makes it not racist?

Engagement, at least, in TV and radio. For print news I can supply my own intonation and visuals :slight_smile:

1 Like

No.

Then we disagree. If coverage decisions are based on race, then I don’t see how that is not a racist practice.

That’s a big IF. Has that been substantiated, or are you going on the opinion of one article? :idunno:

I said IF. I did not read the article in depth yet, but given that it was an apology I thought they were admitting to the practice.

You said

I said

Those are meant as general statements, not based on a specific situation.

[quote=“TroubleWithTribbles, post:1257, topic:179556, full:true”]

I may have misread my own post. Did you mean that a decision to cover topics/people to reflect the values of a racist society is not racist? Or were you saying that it is Not not racist?

4 Likes