Obtaining Proof of Divorce (married in Taiwan, living abroad)

Hello all,

I am a US citizen living in the US who was briefly married to a Taiwanese national in 2017. The marriage and divorce both happened in Taipei.

They provided me with a single piece of paper (in Mandarin) specifying that I was divorced - but in the various moves since then that paper has disappeared.

Is there any way for me to get a copy of this document? Ideally without me having to fly to Taiwan?

Thanks so much!

1 Like

Taipei Economic and Cultural Office (TECO).

That was my first thought, but they told me they can’t do anything. They’ve advised me to call the HRO in Taipei, so will try that.

If anyone has been through this, would love to hear your experiences!

You might have to give power of attorney to an agent.

You can get an English statement from the Household Registration Office.

Then get it notarized at a “public notary” (use Google Maps). Then get it processed at MOFA. Then go have it signed at your country’s trade office in Taipei.

I am not sure whether you can do all this remotely.

I’m curious, why do you need this? You’re not a Taiwanese national, and not living in Taiwan anymore, why do you need this proof? Was your marriage registered in the US as well?

It might not be necessary to get it notarized or authenticated, depending on the need.

1 Like

No it wasn’t registered here, but I’m getting re-married and you have to produce government proof of divorce for a marriage certificate and other visa related paperwork.

Wait, how do they know that you were divorced in the first place? Not sure what’s stopping you from writing “Single” over there?

You can only be legally married once at a time. You can write single but that would then mean lying on the “have you ever been married?” question. And that’s the part that asks for proof of divorce. @TaipeiGuy2000 has given the correct answer.

2 Likes