Obtaining Service Records

Has anyone been able to obtain service records from a used car via any of the major dealerships? I’ve been trying to buy a certified pre-owned car and from my understanding its been going to the dealership for all its service until now. The dealership is citing “privacy concerns of the previous owner” as a reason not to provide the records.

@sulavaca is this a real thing? Is there a privacy law that you are aware of that prevents this type of data being shared?

Original service centres will usually share previous service records, but may not display previous owner’s information, including name, contact details etc, so they may be reluctant to show you their computer screen and may be limited to what their printer may print without editing out on-screen information.
Usually if one turns up with the car’s new, updated registration information and owner’s ID card then they may be willing to share limited, vehicle information.

2 Likes

Thank you, makes sense that they wouldn’t want to share personal details, of anyone really. Based on your response, I didn’t think it would be unreasonable to have a screenshot or printout with those details blacked out though. I think they are at best just being lazy (likely)…at worst trying to hide work that might deter me from purchasing.

In fact, I digged around a bit after posting and their own website says that they provide it. :joy:

They aren’t obliged to provide you or anyone outside of their company with vehicle details if the vehicle isn’t registered to you, so it is actually responsible of them to not share any vehicle history with you before you’ve purchased the vehicle and can prove ownership.

Ok, that’s odd to me. They own the vehicle and claimed to have serviced it from original purchase. Seems they should want to be transparent about that and share the record. Responsible would be doing that without disclosing any personal details about any previous owners or in this case, owner.

Appreciate the response.