Official documents for prolonged (4-5 months) academic visit to Taiwan?

Hello!
So I have been doing internship in Taiwan for the last 6 months. I’ve left Taiwan since my visa has expired. However my supervisor would love to host me for another 4-5 month for an thesis research.

The problem: (according to my local Taipei Office) to do any research placement longer than 1 month, i need an official document from Ministry of education for making visa, in which if we don’t go through official program provided by MoE or MOST applied by the uni (for example TEEP), our uni will not register individual name to the ministry (they register name on batch basis, they never register individuals only).

Since the research placement does not using provided channels, how can i secure legal way to come and stay in taiwan for my research?

Many thanks

is it your professor wants you to stay for the research, or the professor is willing to host you if you can stay in taiwan?

if the former, the professor or the department should find a way to host you.

2 Likes

I understand you said “legal”, but if your professor can find a way to give you whatever benefits of hosting without going through the full bureaucracy, then the easiest way might be to do a visa run since it’s only 4-5 months (assuming you get 60-90 days free).

@tando
he want me to continue the ongoing research which was my internship topic, especially since i need the opportunity to write my undergrad thesis.

And yes he want to make sure i have the channel/ proper way to go into and stay in Taiwan. The staff of our lab also looking for the legal/ proper way to host me. The problem is we exhausted the most common way to invite overseas student. (TEEP is the easiest since the program has been established, however limited only for 6 month per year, i’ve used my time slot). The other way to invite is using IIPP program, however its too late to apply now.

@tigerninjaman
Yes i can do visa run, however it will be a bit costly and he dont have the way to fund me any stipend (in academic world, every expenditure need a proper channel to be used, hence it is very hard to give stipend or support incoming talent since giving stipend is rarely inserted into grant funding).

your univ. don’t have this kind of program?

A student who has difficulty in applying Visa, please contact your host Prof. to deliver a formal letter to Ministry of Education (R.O.C.) with required documents below:

1. Official Letter (provided by host professor by using e-document system)
  2. Form Listed Student’s Basic Information (Chinese version only)
  3. Internship Plan
  4. Copy of a Student’s Passport
  5. Certificate of Enrollment and a Proof that internship is necessary for courses or graduation
2 Likes

This is exactly what I needed, thank you!

1 Like

it sounds a little that you are being taken advantage of.
if they expect you to come to Taiwan for 4 or 5 months on your expense, without knowing what the procedure to get you a visa, and without allocated budget to pay for your work, it sounds more exploitation than internship.
i know enough about the academic world and the real world to tell you that working for free and paying for it yourself is volunteering, not interning.

1 Like

i thought of it too, but on the other hand, it could be described that op reveives guidance from the professor without paying tuition.

Informal request for internship/ research tends to be like that. We will try to enlist into IIPP program to give me stipend (the lab have the money but unable to spend it without proper channel). If i wait for the IIPP process, it will be too late for my thesis research (must be done before January, last at least 4 months). So its more about the timing than the stipend

Its your money… if you think it is a good thing to do, go ahead. I just wanted to point out that asking people to travel and live overseas without pay is a little too much in my opinion. Especially if we are talking bachelor degree, if this was for a Master’s thesis or PhD i would maybe think otherwise, but you mentioned this is for your undergraduate…

Yeah its tend to be like that… My friend got the opportunity of interning in UK and it broke her bank. Cherry on top, she was coming to the lab on weekend, giving 110% than the local student and in the end getting no stipend at all… its tough process