Ohhh crap

Hi
My friend used to teach here for 5 years and left 7 months ago. She is returning next week, but just realised that she has misplaced her degree. My school MAYYY still have a copy of it in their files…I always need to send my original, but it seems like Canadians don’t need to.

is there ANY helpline I can call to ask if she absolutely needs a copy or original to apply for an ARC? If she did this 5 yrs in a row, its obvious that she has one…or are they way too black and white over here.

[quote=“Battery9”]Hi
My friend used to teach here for 5 years and left 7 months ago. She is returning next week, but just realised that she has misplaced her degree. My school MAYYY still have a copy of it in their files…I always need to send my original, but it seems like Canadians don’t need to.

is there ANY helpline I can call to ask if she absolutely needs a copy or original to apply for an ARC? If she did this 5 yrs in a row, its obvious that she has one…or are they way too black and white over here.[/quote]
I think a copy should be good enough. It has been for me over the last few years.

As for getting away without a copy, very difficult I would think, unless she could somehow get the Ministry of Education to dig around in their records.

The only phone line I can think of is the main MOE one: 02-7736-6051. That won’t be open until at least Monday, though.

She can call her uni and ask for a replacement original to be couriered to her. :idunno: Just an option.

yeah, that is propably the easiest way.

It used to be that a copy had to be stamped by a teco office in the persons home country, but don’t rely on me; it’s been a looooong time since I’ve delt with such things.

Just get any legible copy and write on it,“Copy same as original”. Always worked for me. I don’t have my originals here and have never been asked for them. You will need a copy.

I was told no original, no job. It was BS though, the boss just looked at it, said OK, then gave it back.

She found it:)

I once handed in my original…was fine. Then the 3rd or 4th time I reapplied, they denied it!!! Turned out too many degrees were fake and I had to have a copy made AT the SA embassy, and they had to put this chop on it. ALmost missed the deadline because of it.

then the next year it was fine again…I always think I know what to expect but Im just fooling myself!

When I applied for my (only) ARC back in December, I gave my school my original diploma, but they just made a copy and gave the original right back to me. The copy was fine for applying for the work permit/visa/ARC. Sounds like you’ve already solved your problem though!

English Universities will send you certified copies of your degree. It takes about a week and costs £30.

Which is usually quicker than trying to track down the original.

ditto

[quote=“Battery9”]She found it:)

I once handed in my original…was fine. Then the 3rd or 4th time I reapplied, they denied it!!! Turned out too many degrees were fake and I had to have a copy made AT the SA embassy, and they had to put this chop on it. ALmost missed the deadline because of it.

then the next year it was fine again…I always think I know what to expect but Im just fooling myself![/quote]

Battery;
About 3 years ago, they discovered that many of the SA diplomas were false so they changed the rules for S.A. This may be true for other countries too. When I was managing an adult school, I found a fake diploma from Canada which had been approved by a previous manager. I let it slide because it was, at that point, not really my problem. She was doing a good job, etc. However, expect some problems with S.A. degrees. If anyone is in doubt about an employees degree, it’s really very easy to check online. Usually, as in the instance I mentioned, there were uni’s in Canada with the same name but not in the city listed on her degree. Taiwan knows this and after finding many discrepancies, decided to ask for original only. Can’t say as I blame them. If you get caught up in this, supple the original or, in the alternative, a certified (verified) copy. If that doesn’t do it, get a copy of your transcripts sent directly from the university. It takes a couple weeks but I did it once when I was applying at a university. It was not a difficult procedure because you can do it online now.