Oil-for-food head resigns before report

NEW YORK: The former head of the scandal-tainted oil-for-food programme has resigned from the United Nations, hours before he is expected to be accused of getting kickbacks from the $US67 billion ($NZ98.3 billion) operation.

A UN-established Independent Inquiry Committee, led by former US Federal Reserve Chairman Paul Volcker, plans to release its third interim report on allegations of corruption in the humanitarian programme for Iraq, which began in 1996 and ended in 2003.

Benon Sevan, the former executive director of the programme, is to be accused of getting cash for steering Iraqi oil contracts to an Egyptian trader and of refusing to co-operate with the Volcker panel, his attorney Eric Lewis said. Sevan has denied the allegations.

On Sunday, Lewis distributed a letter from Sevan, 67, to UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan resigning from his current job, which he was given after he retired.

The $US1-a-year post carries immunity and was meant to ensure he would co-operate with the probe. But Sevan may have preempted a dismissal from this arrangement as the United Nations in the past has taken action against staff fingered in the Volcker report.

continues…
stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3371096a12,00.html
(apologies the link isn’t more ‘international’)

well at least he quit while he was a head.

Hope Koffi gets the drift…

I blame Woodrow Wilson.

Funny you should mention him. I’m right at this minute listening to John Cale’s [i]Slow Dazzle.[/i] :slight_smile:

xs4all.nl/~werksman/cale/dis … azzle.html

I wonder why this particular scandal has failed to generate the media attention to the same degree that

Halliburtongate (nothing)
Gannongate (nothing)
AWOLgate (nothing)
Plamegate (so far nothing)
al Qaqaagate (nothing)

among many others has received. I mean here we have the largest financial scandal in world history and no enterprising reports making allusions, allegations, condemnations, demands for the truth? Why not? Oh, there’s no liberal media that’s right. Gotcha.

[quote=“fred smith”]I wonder why this particular scandal has failed to generate the media attention to the same degree that

Halliburtongate (nothing)
Gannongate (nothing)
AWOLgate (nothing)
Plamegate (so far nothing)
al Qaqaagate (nothing)

among many others has received. I mean here we have the largest financial scandal in world history and no enterprising reports making allusions, allegations, condemnations, demands for the truth? Why not? Oh, there’s no liberal media that’s right. Gotcha.[/quote]
It doesn’t have a gate.

Let’s hang a gate on it and call it a party. Oops. Have I become MFGR?

They got one guy.
Busted

Oilgate for Foodgate sounds like piglatin
Everythingthatswrongwithignorantliberalideologygate is too long
Kofigate sounds promising. Might have some more dirt on this guy when the final report comes out in Sept. Keep your fingser crossed.

Bolton should have no problem dismantling the agency after this mess.

Dear Richardm:

Why I do believe that you are finally seeing the light. Think of it. Acres of headline coverage about Halliburton, then nothing and that was for chump change of $18 million. This involves nearly $70 billion and was directly responsible for 1 million deaths and so far, nothing. I am surprised that these stories are even being printed. But perhaps Bolton can find out more. I am sure there is A LOT more here that needs to be examined. Surely, if every Bushgate under the sun needs to have a “special” prosecutor, a coupla more for this particular project might be in order? UNgate, Kofigate, Sevongate, Frenchambassadorgate, Russianambassadorgate, Kojogate, Robincookgate, Cotecnagate, etc. etc.