Oil sands: the "most destructive project on Earth" - UGH

This is a pretty decent (Canadian) article about how some Canadians are debating the oil sands

Canada’s Oil Sands Emit More CO2 Than 145 Nations
A single industrial project is so massively polluting that its greenhouse gas emissions are larger than 145 nations, according to the Toronto Star. Maybe more impressive, there are only 62 nations emit more carbon dioxide.

It is the Alberta Oil Sands, and its fate has everything to do with global warming and peak oil.

Experts that discount the peak oil theory – that the world is close to pumping as much cheap, high-quality crude oil as it ever will – say that new technology will allow us to exploit heretofore inaccessible oil deposits, like oil sands, oil shale and deep water deposits.

To appropriate a campaign phrase: Yes, we can.

But do we really want to? The choice is to continue pumping oil from whatever source we can, the climate be damned, or switch to alternative fuels now, before we run out or run up a climate debt the future will be paying off for generations to come.
thedailygreen.com/environmen … 03?src=rss

I suggest that you all read “The end of Oil”, it’s a great read, an dhe takes a hard nosed look at all the variables. He’s not a green dreamer, but he’s not in the pocket of the oil industry. He points out realistic opportunities and really take you on a tour de force.

It’s dated, however his basic premises still by and large hold up:

books.google.com.tw/books?id=R8g … il#PPP1,M1

thought the signing of the Kyoto accords would stop this ?

Kyoto is for all intents and purposes dead, and you bet that a loophole will be found, if the Canadian and Venezuelan tar sands are the main “free” oil sources available.

Good to see Canadian bureaucrats favoring a Republican administration to a Democratic one. :bravo:

ft.com/cms/s/0/3310a3d0-ee0d … ck_check=1

Wherever the money is, I guess, the public will follow.

Eh? Progressive on environmental matters? I’d like to see the reaction of Albertan farmers and ranchers to that one. A huge percentage of the funds going to Alberta’s gov’t comes from oil revenues, and they’re not upsetting the apple cart… much to the detriment of those farmers and ranchers who are going dry.

And why are you applauding this new found support of the Republicans? It’s not based on principle, merely an artifact of long-term & still ongoing neglect of environmental policies; even Lyin’ Brian took the Conservatives to task over for that.

Alberta’s doing the same thing in the oil sands – on a far grander scale – that B.C. did with poorly crafted and implemented clearcut forestry practices: there’s little in that to applaud.

Well, they certainly didn’t vote against the government based on their objections. As you know, the Conservative government, defying the predictions of pundits and observers alike, gained a wider majority than they did during Klein’s last term.

How exactly are the farmers and ranchers running dry? I don’t claim to be an expert on Canadian/Albertan agriculture and livestock practices, but aren’t the crop yields for 2008 in Alberta expected to be very good indeed? Hasn’t the provincial government set up numerous development funds to help farmers and ranchers and encourage them to engage in environmentally-friendly practices? I think under the new premier, people can expect that rural issues will be given top priority.

Oil is an important industry to Alberta’s development, although the economy is diversifying somewhat. The reason why the province has a GDP per capita (69,000) that is almost twice the Canadian average is because of the success of the oil patch. When the National Energy Program, a recession, and the low price of oil hurt the industy in the early to mid 80s, everyone in Alberta suffered. If anything, I think Stelmach, by implementing the new royalty regime, has shown that he is willing to shake the apple cart a little. People within the industry were upset (with the royalties), and people on the panel were upset that he only implemented half of their recommendations. In my opinion, he must be doing something right if both sides are angry. :laughing:

Have you read the independent study by Yale University Professor Benjamin Cashore? In comparing international forest practice regulations, Cashore found that British Columbia has some of the most stringent forest sustainability requirements in the world. Furthermore, with over 13 percent of the provincial land base designated as protected, British Columbia is a world leader in terms of land conservation. Of course, a lot of native groups, radical environmentalists, and out-out-country trust-fund troublemakers such as Robert Kennedy Jr. will still try to portray the industry in a negative light. My sympathies here are with the lumberjacks and the forestry professionals. International lumber and pulp markets are very competitive. You raise production costs and you can run yourself straight out of the market.

With more oil in those sands than in all of the reserves in Saudi Arabia, there will be plenty of money/royalties to spend on conservation and on R&D to ensure cleaner practices. The oil companies are already spending millions and millions in Northern Alberta on various conservation/enviornmental programs. When I read these reports on environmental armageddon, I just have to look at the source. These are radical environmental groups with an abvious agenda. I trust the private sector will be able to come up with the solutions with the help of a friendly provincial government. I think there is a middle-ground, moderate path here that can be taken. One that ensures economic development and a relatively clean environment. And with a relatively small population that appreciates clean outdoor living, as well as the highest standard of living in the country, I truly believe most Albertans will advocate taking a middle course that balances both.

Of course, if the Liberals are elected during the next federal election, another NEP type of program could severely screw Alberta. With rhetoric like this coming out of Dion’s mouth, I really wonder if the Libs will win any seats west of Manitoba.

cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2008 … 31-cp.html

I guess it makes sense economically to just get as much oil out of the oil sands as quickly as possible. If they wait too long, well, lets face it, stuff belongs to the person who can put a fence around it and defend it, and Canada can’t defend it.

Me, I’m hoping for alternative fuels to be discovered before it gets to that point, but sadly, it WILL get to that point.

Canada: a country on fire while still pushing its identity as a petrostate, as brilliantly shown by these awesome Aussies.

Guy

4 Likes

Horsey police. :laughing:

1 Like

Those Aussies are pretty damn funny. :slightly_smiling_face:

Guy

You know it’s bad when they don’t even talk aboot the funny accent.

To their credit, the Aussies did throw an “eh” in there.

Guy

Sprinkled in, did you understand the lyrics to our anthem?

1 Like

I just checked. Yup. I own some Canadian pipeline stock. ENB.

No grounds for you to complain then about the smoke from those fires.

If however you want to complain, then divest from those f&ckers. :slightly_smiling_face:

Guy

1 Like

Yes, it was my thousands of dollars what tipped the scales. lol

As for complaints, nah. Our lawns are lush from all the ash. It’s been a mild summer with lots of rain.

Your brave face in light of these global developments is quite something.

Guy