Oklahoma second state to ban bans on fracking

The Grand Oligarchy Party strikes again, throwing the local control principle out the window when it hurts big business:

[quote]Oklahoma’s towns and cities are no longer allowed to ban fracking under a bill signed into law on Friday by Republican Gov. Mary Fallin.
The new law prohibits localities from choosing whether or not to have oil and gas operations within their jurisdictions, with exceptions for “reasonable” restrictions like noise and traffic issues. Other than that, the Oklahoma Corporation Commission will retain control over oil and gas drilling.

The state commission is run by three elected commissioners, all of whom are Republican. Chairman Bob Anthony is a member of the National Petroleum Council, a group that advises the U.S. Department of Energy on oil and gas industry interests. And Vice Chairman Dana Murphy is a geologist and attorney with “more than 22 years experience in the petroleum industry,” according to her bio page.[/quote]

Fracking Bans Are No Longer Allowed In Oklahoma

[quote=“Vay”]The Grand Oligarchy Party strikes again, throwing the local control principle out the window when it hurts big business:

[quote]Oklahoma’s towns and cities are no longer allowed to ban fracking under a bill signed into law on Friday by Republican Gov. Mary Fallin.
The new law prohibits localities from choosing whether or not to have oil and gas operations within their jurisdictions, with exceptions for “reasonable” restrictions like noise and traffic issues. Other than that, the Oklahoma Corporation Commission will retain control over oil and gas drilling.

The state commission is run by three elected commissioners, all of whom are Republican. Chairman Bob Anthony is a member of the National Petroleum Council, a group that advises the U.S. Department of Energy on oil and gas industry interests. And Vice Chairman Dana Murphy is a geologist and attorney with “more than 22 years experience in the petroleum industry,” according to her bio page.[/quote]

Fracking Bans Are No Longer Allowed In Oklahoma[/quote]

There are two political principles that nobody actually believes in:

1. “I’m against activist judges, and by activist I mean ones that issue rulings that I don’t like.”

2. “I believe in local control…I mean state-level control…I mean federal control, depending on which level supports what I believe in.”

Applies to both liberals and conservatives: see fracking, marijuana, eminent domain, abortion, gay marriage, euthanasia, voting rights etc.

Why would anybody possibly be against unelected, unaccountable public officials for life legislating public policy? It defies all logic.

The power elite making laws to serve their own interests regardless of health and environmental concerns. How unusual.

The scientific consensus is that fracking doesn’t cause health and environmental concerns. You’re not anti-science, are you?

The scientific consensus is that fracking doesn’t cause health and environmental concerns. You’re not anti-science, are you?[/quote]

Are you being serious or sarcastic?

Quite serious. Very serious people and a vast majority of the scientists say fracking is safe to health and environment. Do you think the EPA would allow it if the safety analysis wasn’t scientific? Do you wear a tinfoil hat?

Funny guy. Don’t you have some video games to play or something?

Funny guy. Don’t you have some video games to play or something?[/quote]

And what is so funny about the facts? Are you trying to base an argument on something? That is what happens when non-science argues against science. Go back to reading your paranoid fringe blogs

And what is so funny about the facts? Are you trying to base an argument on something? That is what happens when non-science argues against science. Go back to reading your paranoid fringe blogs[/quote]

YA ya fracking is safe and new techknowledgy prevents ground contamination. Nuclear power is safe and there is more radiation in100 bananas than comes out of Hanford or fukushima combined. GMOs don’t need to be labeled cause there are studies proving they are fit for consumption. If it wasn’t for the USA, Iraq and Libya wouldn’t be basking in freedom and democracy like they are today…

And we see in fact nobody is against them. Liberals like it when courts issue liberal rulings; conservatives abandon their objections when the courts rule in their favour.

And we see in fact nobody is against them. Liberals like it when courts issue liberal rulings; conservatives abandon their objections when the courts rule in their favour.[/quote]

I don’t recall hearing conservatives ever extolling the virtues of “judicial activism.” Legislation without representation is more the purview of closet commissars/liberals. which is why liberalssars go into tooth and claw mode everytime a nominee for Supreme Politboro comes up for coronation.

And we see in fact nobody is against them. Liberals like it when courts issue liberal rulings; conservatives abandon their objections when the courts rule in their favour.[/quote]

I don’t recalling conservatives ever extolling the virtues of “judicial activism.” Legislation without representation is more the purview of closet commissars/liberals. which is why liberalssars go into tooth and claw mode everytime a nominee for Supreme Politboro comes up for coronation.[/quote]

Of course they don’t extol it; they just support it when it is in their favor, like “Shelby County v. Holder”, or if it goes their way on Obamacare- then, because it’s imposing a conservative decision, they hail it as “originalism”.

“liberalssars”: um, don’t think that one is going to catch on- try something with a bit more flow.

I’ve got to admit I like a parliamentary system more than the American constitutionalism pattern myself.

Banning bans. The American way since at least 1789.

Over-the-top environmentalism is a luxury. Fracking puts food on the table and keeps the lights on. Priorities: Oklahomans understand them.

The part I don’t get is why, after liberals fracked the Constitution and made legislation without representation the law of the land, conservatives remain loyal to the social compact. As far as I’m concerned Mad Max time has arrived and all bets are off. I’ve always been ahead of my time though so conservatives may yet awaken from their torpor before it’s too late.

You mean time for super feminist warriors to kick the asses of dumb-as-dirt petroleum-loving patriarchs?

You mean time for super feminist warriors to kick the asses of dumb-as-dirt petroleum-loving patriarchs?[/quote]

Except that the problem with that Hollywood narrative is that the next money grubbing oligarch to occupy the White House is most likely going to be a tin eared, super ass kicking feminist. Go figure. I myself prefer the original 100 proof Ozzie version of the fracking of civilization.

[quote=“rowland”]Banning bans. The American way since at least 1789.

Over-the-top environmentalism is a luxury. Fracking puts food on the table and keeps the lights on. Priorities: Oklahomans understand them.[/quote]

If Oklahomans understand them, presumably they wouldn’t support their elected local officials banning fracking, so why is the State government so worried about this?

This all happened because the city government of Denton, Texas passed a fracking ban within their city limits after polls showed 60% of the population supported it. This caused the Texas State legislature to pass a ban on bans. Presumably the inhabitants of Denton understand their own priorities, so why do the priorities of outsiders get to override them?

New York State banned fracking; some local towns are upset at that ban-

And of course the environmentalists that support the fracking ban in New York oppose the rights of these towns to allow fracking, but support the rights of local towns in Oklahoma and Texas to decide for themselves;

Meanwhile the pro-fracking supporters believe these towns in New York should have the right to overturn State-level laws- but not towns in Oklahoma and Texas.

Like I said, nobody gives a damn whether it’s local, state, or federal; or judicial, legislative, executive or referendum-decided law-making- it just depends on which level supports your particular beliefs.

[quote=“rowland”]Banning bans. The American way since at least 1789.

Over-the-top environmentalism is a luxury. Fracking puts food on the table and keeps the lights on. Priorities: Oklahomans understand them.[/quote]

Oklahoma with it’s 7th highest obesity rates in the US needs less food on the table

“Over-the-top environmentalism is a luxury” might apply to fracking, the jury’s still, kinda, sorta out on that one. But can I ask you if you think it applies to global warming too?