Old Bars

Anyone know what the oldest bar in Taipei is?

DV8 on Jinhua Street must be in the running.17 years.

I know there’s bars in that combat zone area that are older and I’d guess there might a few in the Minsheng or Dihua area.

The Post Home is at least 25 years old.

According to one website, The Ploughman Inn has been around since 1982, which would make it 21 years old. I believe it was preceded by a bar called the Ploughman’s Cottage, but I guess that’s irrelevant since it’s now gone. There was some talk re: this topic in this thread, but no conclusion and no dates.

There were several pubs in the Ploughman chain…the Pig And Whistle is one. The Ploughman’s Cottage was on Nanjing E. Rd. between the Brother Hotel and Asiaworld. In the mid-80s it was THE place to eat. If you have a copy of the old Shih-Ta Mandarin textbook (red or green, I can’t remember which), there’s a photo of me in the student center in the old building…wearing my Ploughman’s Cottage Taipei t-shirt.

My Place in the Combat Zone ?

Blueface:

What were you doing in bars back then? Somehow you just don’t strike me as the drinking kind. :wink:

[quote=“fred smith”]Blueface:

What were you doing in bars back then? Somehow you just don’t strike me as the drinking kind. :wink:[/quote]

Research, sir…research.

I checked the Combat Zone sites that Cranky listed. There were some “pub crawl” maps from the early 70s, but I didn’t recognize any of the names. Then again, I’m not an expert on the place. They may still have the same owners, though.

Doubtful…owners come and go…and die. And get married…