Old buxiban never cancelled my work permit so my new application was rejected?

Hi everyone,
Basically I just need some advice on how to approach my situation.

TLDR I quit my old buxiban 6 months ago. Just found out that they never cancelled my work permit so my new work permit application was rejected. Does anyone have any advice on what to do now/how to approach the situation?

A while ago (around 6 months) I signed a contract with a Buxiban. Turned out to be a bad situation, and within the first few months I left. At the time I had given them my documents and the work permit had just come back. No resident visa or arc yet. As dumb as it sounds I had no idea that I was supposed to sign anything to end my contract and the school never asked me to when I told them I wanted to end the contract .

I’ve recently found a different school that have offered me a job and that I really want to work for. However when they went to apply for my work permit it was rejected due to the fact that my old school never cancelled my original work permit.

I’ve been told by the new school that I should ask the old school to sign some kind of contract termination document so that they can reapply. My main question is- if I get the permit cancelled as of now (around 6 months after it was issued) instead of when I actually stopped working for them, is it likely to cause me any issues? (I don’t really want to sign anything falsely saying that I’ve worked until this point because I have no resident visa or ARC and never applied on the naive assumption that I no longer had an active work permit). Or do I simply need a document saying I no longer work for the last school?

I’m not even sure how they will react since we’ve had no contact at all in the last 6 months. I just want the situation dealt with as quickly and painlessly as possible so that I can move on with my new work permit application without issue, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

You do realize that you can only stay in the country for 3 months if you don’t have an ARC. You should have applied for an extension to your ARC when you left the school. Its your job to take the letter of termination to the immigration office. It is possible that you have been living in the country illegally. You might want to look up the punishment for overstaying your Visa. If they never reported your termination to the immigration office it is possible that everything is OK. Just talk to your old school and get the letter of termination. I’m sure they will provide it no problem.

If you left a job ~6 months ago but only recently found new work, what kind of visa have you been on?

The best case scenario is that they didn’t cancel your work permit and your ARC remained valid but you said they never processed your resident visa or ARC so you have a few more issues here.

Thank you for the reply. Actually I ended up having to leave Taiwan for a few months, and recently returned on a visa exemption. So I have never overstayed.

And you are right, I never processed any resident visa or ARC because I had already left the job. I didn’t realise I still had to apply if I was no longer working there. I ended up leaving very soon after the work permit had been issued unfortunately.

How recently? i thought that had been suspended for a couple of months already?
but i could be mistaken.

An ARC or a work permit? If the school hasn’t canceled his work permit, his ARC is still valid. How long is an ARC valid for after a work permit is canceled?

The OP didn’t apply for ARC. there has been just the work permit, which has not been used.

it won’t cause a problem to consult with labor department.

2 Likes