Old Taiwan Postage Stamps (Rep. of Formosa and Qing era)

Copied from Taiwan Politics. I thought that it might be of interest to stamp collectors here.

10 years ago, a block of four went for US$600.

Of interest in the first stamp on the left is the overprint. The value has been changed to what appears to be “100” from its original value. The cancellation chop is wonderfully placed with the full word “REPUBLIC” visible.

Just for fun, here’s a sample of an “ad hoc” stamp from the time when Taiwan was a province of the Qing Empire.

1 Like

If interested in this topic, i have a large collection here: Taiwan Stamps also Taiwan Money

Note: In the stamp gallery, do a mouseover and find “dragon_green_big” and “dragon_red_big”, they are pretty cool. (now positioned on the 5th row down, but likely to change in the future since I add to this collection). If you are a graphic artist, old stamps and money are somewhat useful for design inspiration.

4nr, are these from your private collection? Very nice. I especially like overprints because these stamps tell a story on top of a story. My favourite one is the overprint of Rep. of China, Taiwan Province over the Japanese stamp. Most interesting indeed and one in which I haven’t seen before.

Thanks for the comment sjcma. I don’t own these stamps, I only collect the images (public domain) and post them online as a learning resource for anyone else interested in Taiwan history. Since there really are no other places online to see these things, I took it upon myself to build this collection as my small contribution to improving Taiwan cultural affairs.

I know they could probably care less about a foreigner making a contribution, but since they missed the boat someone else had to step in. Most of these images would have been lost in the internet cloud if not found on time. Now, as a collection, I think they are almost like a one of a kind book that everyone can enjoy. (The other galleries as well).

For stamps issued by 中華郵政 (or 中華民國郵政, ChungHwa Post, R.O.C. Postal Authority) and its predecessor 大清郵政局 (Qing Postal Authority), go to the current R.O.C. postal authority website.

The English search engine or the Chinese search engine allows you to search for stamps issued by this postal authority from the very first stamp to be ever issued in China (large dragons, under the Qing gov’t) to the current ones that are presently issued in Taiwan. The website is very comprehensive and comes with a complete description in either English or Chinese (depending on the search engine you choose).

Of course, it will not have the stamps issued by the Rep. of Formosa since the authority was not responsible for these stamps. If you want to browse through other philatelic material related to Taiwan, eBay is a good source for images.

It does, however, have the Japanese stamps overprinted with 中華民國 臺灣省. Click on the link and you’ll see that there are 9 varieties of this type of stamp, the last one being the same as on your website. Previously, I’ve only ever seen the first 7 in catalogues.

I stand corrected, the stamp search engine works pretty good. The rest of the site is weak, especially the post museum. post.gov.tw/post/internet/y_ … on_all.htm Maybe the Chinese version is better.

Its interesting to look at these stamps - although they state Republic of China, they really do not have anything to do with Taiwan (pre-45). This Chinese junk one is pretty cool. There are way to many to look at in the directory, here are a few just I thought were interesting.

SYS burial

National Unification. - In accordance with the will of the Father of our Country, Dr. Sun Yat-sen, the National Government at Canton on July 9, 1926, launched the Northern Expedition under the command of Generalissimo Chiang Kai-shek. After the country had been unified in 1928, commemorative stamps were issued bearing the portrait of Generalissimo Chiang with rice stalks and the national emblem of the blue sky and white sun as decoration.

1939 - 150 yrs anniversary of USA.

CCK 1989 death anniversary

1989 50th anniversary Flying Tigers

Actually my comment in the previous post was refering more to the other things I have posted in my gallery. The stamps and money images are just something I started collecting as an extra. (mostly from ebay). I use to be interested in stamps and coin collecting, but while I was living here in Taipei someone broke into my storage unit in California and cleaned me out of everything including a very valuable coin collection. Insurance didn’t come close to covering the true value or compensate for the years of time I put into making deals for some of the things I had. Since then, I can’t see myself ever getting back into it. I always look at things I use to own and get pissed off. Its not worth the heartache for me. Now I only look at the images and appreciate some of the design work.

4nr, sorry to hear about the loss of your collection. It would be a big heartache for me as well. I only collect stamps but since getting married and having kids, this hobby has been on hold. I’m mostly interested in pre-1949 China stamps although I do collect, as a matter of course, post-1949 R.O.C. stamps as well as Canada. I’ve added P.R.C. to my collection in recent years because I find it interesting to see the political difference between the two cross-strait entities being reflected in the design of postage stamps.

I own all of the stamps that you’ve posted above. I really enjoy the older ones as they truly reflect an interesting era in history. I just wish I could get my hands on the Rep. of Formosa ones as well as Province of Taiwan only stamps between 1945-1949. These tend to be harder, although not impossible, to come by.

The more modern ones, with their fancy and full colour designs, seem to be fairly boring in comparison. Perhaps if they spiced things up with designs depicting the best of legislative fist fights, it may recapture my interest again. :wink:

Anybody actually interested in buying old stamps? I’ve got a friend who wants to sell his collection. PM me and I’ll find out what he has.

Does anyone know how one can buy new releases of stamps from ROC from another country? Like I can buy stamps from Canada through their postal services by phone.

You can order it online at the Postal Stamps Mall.

An image of the Republic of Taiwan 100 tsiân stamp. The OP showed the 50 tsiân stamp.

Both stamp shows an image of a tiger, the words 臺灣民主國 on the top, the value, 伍拾錢 or 壹佰錢 on the right, and 士担帋 on the left.

士担 is pronounced as sū-tàm, which is the phonetic translation for stamp. 帋 is another way to write 紙, which means paper.

3 Likes

The topic about old postage stamps is made for grave digging.

1 Like