Olympic torch not coming to Taiwan; Its too Chinese

Fearless leader CSB, has defended the dignity of the Taiwanese, by rejecting the International Olympic Committee’s request for the Torch to come to Taiwan.

Highlighting once again that even the lofty ideals of the Olympics are not high enough for TI to sling some mud on it.

“Because we have the LP to be defiant” - CSB.

Good for Taiwan. A-bian’s a jerk, but this is good news.

If Chinese Taipei doesn’t goto the Olympics, is that considered good news as well.

If nobody goes to the Olympics, that’s even better news. Who wants to watch the DDR, sorry PRC, cheat their way to the top of the medals table?

Don’t worry. Beijing Olympics will still be judged the best captivating show of all Olympics, with or without Chinese Taipei. The only regret, is how far can it go for the current DPP regime who continue to deny and sabotage the aspiration and wishes of the majority of Taiwanese, who are eager to participate in the Olympic Torch Run.

Damned to the donkey.

Yes, I heard A-bian causes typhoons, and also, plagues of rats. No wonder the Torch got rejected.

Surely, A-Bian will have no problem creating a trail of destruction. By then, those die-hard DPP’s foreign supporters (with one of them with name carrying the first character V), will be scurrying themselves like rats out of Taiwan.

re. the torch run -
The commies made a deal with “us” (the people who live here)
then at the last minute before signment the commies changed the
deal, and we (- thepeople that live here ) said ‘fuck off!’.
_ And the commies said " Mum, mum it’s not fair!"

• Sorry that’s the Paris Hilton defence.

[quote=“beebee”]Surely, A-Bian will have no problem creating a trail of destruction. By then, those die-hard DPP’s foreign supporters (with one of them with name carrying the first character V), will be scurrying themselves like rats out of Taiwan.

–[/quote]

by then lol. by when? apparently creating that trail of destruction isn’t quite as easy as it looks. just glad i didn’t go and buy plane tickets out of here.

" If Chinese Taipei doesn’t g()to the Olympics, is that considered good news as well(?)."

Taiwan should boycott the Beijing Olympics, just like the US and other countries did to the Berlin Olympics of 1936, so that the world could see what they really stand for.

"Surely, A-Bian will have no problem creating a trail of destruction. By then, those die-hard DPP’s foreign supporters (with one of them with name carrying the first character V), will be scurrying themselves like rats out of Taiwan. "
_ and i thought ac was the main twit here and now this.

"Surely, A-Bian will have no problem creating a trail of destruction. By then, those die-hard DPP’s foreign supporters (with one of them with name carrying the first character V), will be scurrying themselves like rats out of Taiwan. "

• talk to somebodies grandfather whose not blue encrypted.

I wonder is ah-bian kicking himself for not letting the Olympic torch in Taiwan. Think of the mayhem and anti-China riots that could have been, if he just let the torch in Taiwan.

:laughing:

Keep On Rockin’ In The Free World!

Uh…are you being sarcastic? LOL, I can’t tell.

Because the US and “other countries” did not boycott the 1936 Olympics in Berlin. They happily participated. The ROC participated too. :slight_smile:

Uh…are you being sarcastic? LOL, I can’t tell.

Because the US and “other countries” did not boycott the 1936 Olympics in Berlin. They happily participated. The ROC participated too. :slight_smile:[/quote]

Yes.

Wonderful experience on the streets of San Francisco today! I just got back in the door, and after putting my daughter to bed, wanted to jump onboard with a few quick impressions.

First of all, all of my worst fears were absolutely not proven. ac_dropout, zeug, you guys can rest assured… I felt little hostility on the streets. I was up early with my flag, and I had several Americans pull over and explicitly tell me “just so you know… go China, I think it’s a shame what the protesters are doing to the Olympics.” I had only one critical comment from someone with a southeast Asian accent (Burmese?) telling me to stop the genocide. I told him I’d take it under consideration.

It was a glorious morning. As far as the eye could see south of AT&T Park was a flood of Chinese flags and passionate Chinese. There were numerous university banners held by proud alumni: Tsinghua, Beida, Wuhan Daxue… I wasn’t old enough to attend 6/4, but this gave me a far greater appreciation of how they must’ve felt in those heady days. Every Chinese flag in the state must’ve been bought; I thought my flags would be on the large side (I had 4 3’x5’ flags)… but we were absolutely over-shadowed by some of the huge flags on display. It was a wonderful feeling. We all helped each other, sharing water, instructions, news, helping make flags, learning new dances. A family friend who watched with us took the Caltrain up from the South Bay; they said that about 60% of the train crowd consisted of Chinese working in Silicon Valley technology companies.

There was also a confrontation with a far smaller crowd of Tibetan independence activists at the foot of AT&T Park. (Right across the bridge on 3rd street.) I had seen them walk up earlier, chanting and holding signs… (a small attachment of green Darfur protesters were attached to their hip). 5 minutes later, they were literally surrounded by probably 2x their number of pro-Chinese demonstrators. The cops quickly closed the bridge to foot traffic, to prevent additional Chinese from flooding into the area. It was a good shouting match… the head of the little Tibetan group (holding microphone) spoke in perfect putonghua, by the way. There was no physical contact while I was there, although emotions quickly began to run high. 30 minutes later, I heard a Tibetan protester got into a shoving match and was arrested.

All in all, we absolutely out-numbered them. It was probably a difference of a factor of 5x1. The pro-Chinese crowd was probably about 95% Chinese, while the Tibet independence crowd was probably 60% Tibetan, 40% white Americans. The Darfur crowd, by the way, was 100% white/young/college freshman looking people who probably couldn’t even enjoy a beer after the event ended.

I’m very grateful to the cops and the San Francisco city government. Every single cop was courteous and professional… firm at times, but very professional. I am ecstatic with San Francisco’s solution, even though it means I waited for hours in the sun without actually seeing the torch. They still allowed the torch to run successfully, and the immediate first-person accounts flooding the airwaves were from people expressing their awe and happiness at having seen the torch pass by miles from its original route. They handled a very difficult, potentially dangerous situation wonderfully. (I say this without knowing how the big crowd at the now canceled closing ceremony will resolve itself… but I assume it will resolve fine.)

San Francisco definitely lived up to its word today as a city which tolerates different opinions, and yet still assures enough security and stability such that these different opinions can be heard equally. So, way to go San Francisco. I look forward to the day when a Chinese city will be able to offer the same. (And that’s not JUST a political statement; it’s an economic/social as well as political statement.)

Before today, all of the news coverage exclusively talked about the demonstrators. It was all about the “thousands of demonstrators” who would be greeting the torch. Today, pro-Chinese supporters heavily out-numbered the anti-Chinese demonstrators heavily… but there’s also no doubt everyone got a chance to have their say. I’m just very happy that we were able to stand up and make our voices heard. tuanjie jiushi liliang!!!

Well, the day is still young. The U.S. has lax weapons laws. One grenade, lobbed into the mass of rabid Chinese protesters, might take out several Forumosan notables.

But enough with these idle fantasies of improving the world…

Steady now, Screaming J.

cctang, I’m glad you had a good day, I really am, but I’d have to call it somewhat of a hollow victory. The rally was re-routed, so despite the huge turn out by a particuarly friendly home team, the route still had to be altered to avoid the demos and again the whole thing cut short. But I;m sure it felt good to be part of a cheering crowd enthralled with patriotic glee while fat on American largess.

[quote]The Olympic torch was rerouted away from thousands of demonstrators and spectators who crowded San Fracisco’s waterfront to witness the flame’s symbolic journey to the Beijing Games.

The planned closing ceremony at the San Francisco Bay waterfront was cancelled and another one was planned at San Francisco International Airport. Massive crowds had gathered at the waterfront to support and protest the flame.

The last-minute changes were made amid security concerns following chaotic protests over the torch in Paris and London.

Mayor Gavin Newsom said that the well choreographed fake-out was prompted by the size and behaviour of the crowds amassing outside AT&T Park, site of the relay’s opening ceremony.

There was “a disproportionate concentration of people in and around the start of the relay”, he said while travelling in a caravan that accompanied the torch.

Less than an hour before the relay began, officials cut the original 10-kilometre route nearly in half.[/quote]

HG

Scanning through all the major news broadcasts (or rather the lack of it), I would say the networks and most Americans don’t give a darn about Tibet.

SF must be kicking itself for spending all that money on security during a time financial constraint. :smiley: