Olympics Opening Ceremony - and games

Presently watching the opening ceremony. We get it broadcasted delayed by quite a few hours. I missed the first half and will have to record it in the replay tonight and see it again tomorrow.

Its said to be pretty well done.

foxnews.com/sports/2012/07/2 … test=olymp

Do they still allow the athletes to carry cameras and snap pics as they parade out? Christ when I saw that last time I was in disbelief: so tacky. Just one more reason to avoid this commercial.

Yes , parade of nations happening now (on our tv, not live) and a lot of athletes have cameras , iphones, etc. Im ok with that. Remember the majority will not win a gold, a silver or a bronze but they will take this moment to heart for the rest of their lives.

Thats a part of what the Olympics spirit is meant to be. TO carry to all corners of the world a spirit of excellence, determination, equality, fairness and joy to be human .

Its hoped that they will spread this spirit all their days in the memories made this day.

SO in that respect I salute them. FOr their accomplishment. To have made it here today is a great personal achievement.

Let the cameras roll. The olympics is not just about us, its about them too.

:slight_smile:

From what I’ve seen it looked jolly good. None of the militaristic tone or the hordes of automatons that can sometimes dehumanise such events.
I’m always glad of big occasions like this; they’re a drinking-man’s pot of gold that should not be squandered. What cruel-hearted woman would deny his man a few extra brews whilst he’s cheering on his home team, or begrudge him a toast to the harmony of nations?
“Are you drinking again?”
“It’s the Olympics, my dear - they only come round every four years.”
“I didn’t know you were interested in… what is it?”
“Pole-vaulting. Oh yes, I was quite into it as a young man. Brings back many a happy memory.”
“Really?”
“Yes, but I don’t normally follow it. This is the Olympics - just held once every four years.”
“That was your excuse last month about the soccer.”
“Um, yeah, um…”

Does anyone have a link to the opening ceremony? I have tried and all the videos of the event have been blocked on copyright grounds :noway: What’s all that about?

i am going to make a dvd of this show when it

replays tonite. after i see it, i can mail this disk to someone who wants it?

If you wants it…u know what to do.

by the way, US NBC cut to commercial when the Taiwan team came up so only got a 20 second glimpse of the taiwan team. BUt looked like a motly crue our team. Bad outfit really.

[quote=“tommy525”]I am going to make a dvd of this show when it

replays tonite. after i see it, i can mail this disk to someone who wants it?

If you wants it…u know what to do.

by the way, US NBC cut to commercial when the Taiwan team came up so only got a 20 second glimpse of the taiwan team. BUt looked like a motly crue our team. Bad outfit really.[/quote]

Thanks for the offer.

But I’m what I want to know is why aren’t I allowed to go on youtube and watch it? Seems crazy to me.

[quote=“almas john”]From what I’ve seen it looked jolly good. None of the militaristic tone or the hordes of automatons that can sometimes dehumanise such events.
I’m always glad of big occasions like this; they’re a drinking-man’s pot of gold that should not be squandered. What cruel-hearted woman would deny his man a few extra brews whilst he’s cheering on his home team, or begrudge him a toast to the harmony of nations?
“Pole-vaulting. Oh yes, I was quite into it as a young man. Brings back many a happy memory.”
“Really?”
“Yes, but I don’t normally follow it. This is the Olympics - just held once every four years.”
“Um, yeah, um…”[/quote]
And then there’s the Rugby Championship, then the 20-20 silly World Cup, and the November Tests…the drinking never stops :laughing:

It looked really interesting, England really has such a rich history of things to showcase.

Just saw the parade of athletes. British people sure know how to organize. Whenever a large team comes in, a row of drummers come right after them. This prevents the stragglers dragging the line too long. The long military tradition shows up at these little things. Good show.

[quote=“Kea”][quote=“almas john”]From what I’ve seen it looked jolly good. None of the militaristic tone or the hordes of automatons that can sometimes dehumanise such events.
“Really?”
“Um, yeah, um…”[/quote]
And then there’s the Rugby Championship, then the 20-20 silly World Cup, and the November Tests…the drinking never stops :laughing:

It looked really interesting, England really has such a rich history of things to showcase.[/quote]

That would be the UK wouldn’t it?

well, I’d never want to disagree with you on this topic since it’s political involving the historic rape and pillage of a proud nation…(also, I’d cheer 1,000 times or more for Ireland before England), so let’s say we’re both right :eh:
from Wiki: host city: London, England, United Kingdom (vomit)

Following the Soviet example, England could be known as Great Britain, Wales as Little Britain, and Scotland as White Britain. And Northern Ireland could be called Transmanxia.

I hate the Olympics and wish they would be cancelled and banned forever. The part with the corgis was cute, though.

Speaking of the queen’s bloomers, did you know there’s a comic book called Victoria’s Secret Service?

It was a bit sad watching Blighty wallowing in its glorious past like anyone else really cares any longer. The only thing missing to wrap it all up was Uncle Sam doing a slow lap around the track leading a Union Jack draped British bulldog on a leash.

Haha my wife said the same thing, Hey Jude? Mr Bean? James Bond and the Queen. Maybe they could have shown something more of modern Britain like the Concorde and the E-type.

All playing it very safe, but definitely preferable to the robots of the Beijing olympics.

Thought it was rather good. Except the weird inclusion, although very brief, of Cruella DeVille, and all that Harry Potter guff.

Anyone here know where BBC news went? Will it come back after the Olympics is done?

Too much England, and all the wrong bits of England.

And too muchfucking Cotswolds and not enough immigrants and Empire! Where the oppressors of the Raj? where the Khyber pass? where the slaughter of the Tasmanian Aboriginals? and where the Spanish Armada, and the Earl of Sandwich? C’mon, the sandwich is England’s greatest export ever, and they completely missed that.

Now, to be really inclusive of the whole Kingdom, they should at least have had a whole half hour devoted to Scotch. and ten seconds to leek soup, pickled eggs, and pickled onions.

Wasn’t Sandwich a member of the Hellfire Club?

Some of the people on this fuckin forum, honest to fuck, what a bunch of fucking miserable assholes, seriously, do you guys read your own bitter, nasty, pessimistic BS?

“Athletes with cameras, I hate that shit!”

“Too much Britain!”

“Blah blah blah, I am a bitter old fuck still residing in Taiwan, hear me complain!!!”

“I am whitey, hear me moan!!!”

It is the fuckin Olympic opening ceremonies, of course it is going to be fluff, of course it will be celebratory, what the hell do you expect, it is for the masses, would you prefer some kind of film noire adaptation as far removed from the banal as possible as to appease your delicate sensibilities?

People on here would take issues with puppies and kittens if they didn’t stare at them in the proper manner.

Dear me, I find the most overhyped overly commercial TV event in the world to be worthy of some critical comments and full diaper man pops a vein in his head pretending he’s the next Lewis Black. :laughing:

[quote=“almas john”]From what I’ve seen it looked jolly good. None of the militaristic tone or the hordes of automatons that can sometimes dehumanise such events.
[/quote]
You didn’t see enough. Did you see the queen jumping of a chopper…was it to tickle, entertain,tantalize or just some cheap skatey attempt at humour.

It is sad that a good synchronized performance that take hours of practice be labeled as ‘automaton’ but mediocrity be labeled as ‘democratic and freedom of expression’. The opening ceremony was neither entertaining nor inspiring…just chest beating. Great Britain should accept they are not ‘great’ no more.