On terminology -- split from Vroom, vroom

[quote=“Juba”]Yeah. American cars have four wheels and an engine and run on gasoline. Those Chinese cars are exactly the same! What a f*%!ing ripoff!

Er, compats, actually :smiling_imp:[/quote]Yo Juba, did you read the article? Are you defending design piracy? Are you so into China Nationalism that you even defend their piracy. What about their Human rights violations in China and the Historical Whitewash in the Communist classroom textbooks? Do you defned those too? You should be ashamed to call yourself a DaLu Ren. Piracy is piracy.

Anyway, that is China this is Taiwan. Two separate countries. You can’t fly direct and you need a passport to travel there. No taxes paid to China, separate militarys. Stop toking the Opium Pipe and tell your KMT Baba that Taiwan and China haven’t been the same country since 1949 and before that it was Japan. So, Taiwan people working in China are called Expats not compats. Here is a link to Dictionary.com for you to improve your vocabulary.

Taiwanese people do not need a passport to travel to China.

Taiwanese people do not need a passport to travel to China.[/quote] They need some fake passport that China gave them. Anyway, China citizens need a passport to visit Taiwan.

Anyway, Taiwan people working in China should be refered to as Expats not Compats, even if the Chinese Communist Party insists on calling them compats.

Paogoa: The only officials that call Taiwanese living and working in China “Taiwan Compatriots” are Chinese Communists. In Taiwan we call them TaiShang. They are indeed Expats not Compats. Compatriots would mean that they were from the same country. Taiwan and China are separate countries.

Finally, weren’t you aware that the actual official English name of the KMT 中國國民黨 Zhōnggu

Poagao: The only officials that call Taiwanese living and working in China “Taiwan Compatriots” are Chinese Communists. in Taiwan we call them TaiShang. They are indeed Expats not Compats. Compatriots would mean that they were from the same country. Taiwan and China are separate countries.

Finally, weren’t you aware that the actual official English name of the KMT 中國國民黨 Zhōnggu

[quote=“Poagao, OT”]
in Taiwan people also use the word “Taibao”, or Taiwan compatriots.[/quote]I have never, not in 17 years, heard a Taiwanese refer to themselves as a Taibao. The derogatory term the Chinese use for Taishang, ‘呆伴’ is a lot more common, though used in irony.

I guess some people have and some people haven’t heard it. But it is used, in addition to ‘Taishang’. I have also heard the sarcastic ‘呆包’.

[quote=“On Thu Apr 28 at 7:45 am, Hobart”]Poagao: I thought you understood Chinese and could even read it. The China Nationalist Party’s Chinese name’s 中國國民黨 translation means China Nationalist Party. I know it is an awful looking name in English (for a poltical party in Taiwan) that is why the China Nationalist Party prefer to use the Romanization of their Chinese name or Kuomingtang (BTW, why don’t those Commie lovers use Commie Pinyin? or Zhōnggu

^^^^^^^^^^^^
:bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

I’m going to start calling Poagao “Person of Alternative Build.” I just like the way it sounds and I don’t care what he calls himself. Hobart, from now on you will be referred to as “Expensive Gas Grill Man.” Or maybe just “Barbeque Master.” I haven’t decided yet.

Well, I’ve been called worse, I guess.

For short, you’ll be known as Pabby and Eggy, respectively.

poagao - question for you and seriously… if you were to work in Taiwan on your Taiwan passport - what would be - a compatriot and expat?

PoaGao: The KMT 中國國民黨 Zhongguo Guomingdang, have been known as the China Nationalist Party or Chinese Nationalist Party since the beginning years, where do you get off saying I made it up? That name is all over the web and in Chinese history books that I read in college and I am not that old.

Can’t anyone here read Chinese or Hanyu pinyin?

Don’t help the KMT to be cowardly by helping them to hide behind some kind of Romanization because they are too embarassed to show the rest of the world their real name.

Granted I think once I called them the China Nationalism Party and that is a stretch. I will stick to either Chinese Nationalist Party or China Nationalist Party as they are known.

Whatever you say Eggy, as you are known.

I do work in Taiwan, but I don’t understand your question. What would you call an American working in America? A compatriate or an expat?

I do work in Taiwan, but I don’t understand your question. What would you call an American working in America? A compatriate or an expat?[/quote]

Sorry, typo and thinking about other stuff. I meant - if you were to work in China, compat or expat? Surely if you believe in compat then in fact you cant be a citizen of Taiwan as you cant be a citizen of a country that doesnt exist??

I do work in Taiwan, but I don’t understand your question. What would you call an American working in America? A compatriate or an expat?[/quote]

Sorry, typo and thinking about other stuff. I meant - if you were to work in China, compat or expat? Surely if you believe in compat then in fact you cant be a citizen of Taiwan as you cant be a citizen of a country that doesnt exist??[/quote]

If it were such a black-and-white situation, then you’d be right. I did work on the mainland for over a year a number of years ago. If I did so now, I’d probably consider myself either or both, depending on the context under which I was in at the time.

[quote=“Hobart”]PoaGao: The KMT ??? Zhongguo Guomingdang, have been known as the China Nationalist Party or Chinese Nationalist Party since the beginning years, where do you get off saying I made it up? That name is all over the web and in Chinese history books that I read in college and I am not that old.

yes. that’s what they are called, the Zhongguo Guomingdang. my sis’s textbook back in junior high also labeled them as such. although nowadays they are known as Guomingdang for short. but if you walk past their headquarter in taipei, you’ll see the party name Zhongguo Guomingdang in bold hanyu letters. well, if the banner is still up anyway…

oh, and people in taiwan don’t usually refer to themselves as taibao but taishang, it’s the people across the strait who gave us the taibao term.

[quote=“omusubi”][quote=“Hobart”]PoaGao: The KMT ??? Zhongguo Guomingdang, have been known as the China Nationalist Party or Chinese Nationalist Party since the beginning years, where do you get off saying I made it up? That name is all over the web and in Chinese history books that I read in college and I am not that old.

yes. that’s what they are called, the Zhongguo Guomingdang. my sis’s textbook back in junior high also labeled them as such. although nowadays they are known as Guomingdang for short. but if you walk past their headquarter in Taipei, you’ll see the party name Zhongguo Guomingdang in bold hanyu letters. well, if the banner is still up anyway…

oh, and people in Taiwan don’t usually refer to themselves as taibao but taishang, it’s the people across the strait who gave us the taibao term.[/quote][/quote]

I’ve heard both, but YMMV. And yes, it’s name is the Kuomintang. That’s what I’ve been saying.