One Native Taiwanese Reader's Impression of Forumosa

That is exactly what I think.[/quote][/quote]
I’m flattered that you’re under the impression someone other than myself holds me in such exalted regard.

[quote=“Stimpy”]I personally find it very hard to care what that person thinks. Reading the excerpt-- in Chinese and the translation–I think this person came away from his F.com experience confirming, in his own mind, pre existing stereotypes and prejudices (ie foreign males come here to screw local women and take advantage of them whilst looking down on them as inferior). I think he came here expecting to read threads that put down local women and chose a reading of the threads he viewed here that would satisfy his expectations. Not surprisingly, I completely disagree with his take on F.com and its participants.

I don’t think we should censor ourselves just because some locals-- who probably misunderstand alot of the intentions, humour and subtle nuances of what we say and how we say it-- may not like some of what we discuss.[/quote]

I’m agreeing with Stimpy here.

I don’t give a fat hairy monkey sack what any outsider thinks about this place. I fucking love it here. If I want someone to complain about how the site is run, I’ll ask Tom Hill. He rates it.

Last weekend I ran into about 20 people from this site at Carnegies and there was not a one of them I didn’t enjoy seeing and speaking with, and several I’ve had intense and sometimes scathing exchanges with online.

It’s just the web Alice.

Holster that sidearm.

[quote=“jdsmith”]I don’t give a fat hairy monkey sack what any outsider thinks about this place. I fucking love it here. If I want someone to complain about how the site is run, I’ll ask Tom Hill. He rates it.

Last weekend I ran into about 20 people from this site at Carnegies and there was not a one of them I didn’t enjoy seeing and speaking with, and several I’ve had intense and sometimes scathing exchanges with online.

It’s just the web Alice.

Holster that sidearm.[/quote]

OK, now I’m agreeing with jd :smiley:

Personally, I think political discussion should be as free and unrestrained as possible. I don’t particularly care for insults, but IMO, its better to be insulted than to be punched in the nose.

I also favor more free speech. For instance, I oppose calls to restrict “racist” speech/posts. I think it better to challenge such posts. But, I know not everyone agrees with me on this score. And that’s OK by me.

I find F.com a fairly friendly place. I’ve argued with some folks here, but, I hold no animosity toward them. Most arguments/debates had here are just not important enough to cause me to dislike another person.

Not sure what you’re talking about, but, according to my reading of the Rules, writing, “We have to put up with the opinions of ignorant jerks.” in such a way that everyone knows you are talking about Chaon would not be acceptable. But, it would be acceptable, again, per my interpretation of the Rules, to post an opinion stating that Chaon’s argument is stupid.

I don’t see how that is much of an insult. Even the smartest of men/women say stupid things, sometimes. And its just an opinion, anyway.

Hmmm. Well, OK. :idunno:

Anyway Chaon, you got fired for saying me and Tigerman go pee-pee like girls, didn’t you? See? Maoman exalts me to such an extent, I only need to snap my fingers and poof! My will is done. Such is the way of power.

No, I got an hour-long cellphone lecture from Maoman for saying that you and Tigerman pee-pee like girls: “But Karl, these guys are really offended!”

I quit about a week later when Maoman threw one of my T.P. threads into the asshole forum.

Just for the record, I urinate in the manliest of fashions. I can’t speak for Tigerman.

Bastard! So why didn’t you save me from getting suspended!?!?! :fume:

[quote=“merge”][quote=“Stimpy”]I personally find it very hard to care what that person thinks. Reading the excerpt-- in Chinese and the translation–I think this person came away from his F.com experience confirming, in his own mind, pre existing stereotypes and prejudices (ie foreign males come here to screw local women and take advantage of them whilst looking down on them as inferior). I think he came here expecting to read threads that put down local women and chose a reading of the threads he viewed here that would satisfy his expectations. Not surprisingly, I completely disagree with his take on F.com and its participants.

I don’t think we should censor ourselves just because some locals-- who probably misunderstand alot of the intentions, humour and subtle nuances of what we say and how we say it-- may not like some of what we discuss.[/quote]

I’m agreeing with Stimpy here.[/quote]

That’s right. Screw the locals. I know I am, one by one. And it’s hard work, especially when it comes to such sensitive areas. like the nipple, and the earlobe, and the back of the knee. But you get in, you get out. Thank you maam.

:laughing: :laughing:

Haha. If you can’t take the heat, get out of the kitchen. By the way, we don’t have to be speaking in code. Everyone knows what your opinion is made of. No subtitles, no bylines, no sub voce.

We know Chaon. :smiling_imp:

maybe we should post our motto right under the forumosa logo

“if you can’t say something nasty…don’t say nothing at all!”

And what are Taiwanese women to Taiwanese men? Breeding stock? Aren’t they looked down on by those binlang chewing, kaoliang slurping macho Taiwanese?

I think the person who wrote it doesn’t know it’s own people …

Does it show?

Does it show?[/quote]

:raspberry:

If 'mosa were friendlier it wouldn’t be 'mosa … half of the members would be barred from posting … every new thread would start with a prayer and end with god bless …

I think I’d rather go out and eat some stinky tofu then … or feed the ducks in the park …

If people can’t handle it, they should move on … enough places on the www to be boring …

Anyways, being sarcastic helps a lot …

What I want to say is that it’s similar to going to a bar/pub because you like it there, you like the people and you find common ground, if you don’t like it you won’t return …

In general, I agree with Merge, Stimpy and others that the lighter the hand of censorship and the fewer that are banned, the better.

However, if there are posters who make a habit of stalking and gratuitously insulting others, then we should exercise zero tolerance toward them, remove their offending posts at once, and ban them if they ever repeat such offence.
If they prove themselves so incapable not only of abiding by the rules of the site but also of meeting the minimum requirements of common civility, then this site would be much better off without them.

There’s a glaring instance of that in this thread, by a poster with a long history of such nastiness, and I’m frankly surprised that nothing has been done about it. It certainly makes this site far less pleasant when such people are sullying it with their sourness and malice.

Maybe the girl in the OP had been reading one of my old threads? Or the recent one where I said Taiwanese women are weird?

Sorry honey, but I’m not going to change my opinion. I’d rather hang out with the likes of Buttercup or Tom Hill (or with people such as ‘cruising life’ or ‘kate lin’) who are a good deal more interesting than most of the people I meet in my day-to-day life in Taiwan.

You may take this as a criticism, but I can’t help observing that the education system I have worked in for the last five years produces people who are rarely as individual or adventurous as they would be if they had gone through a more western schooling. Who knows, maybe your way of doing things produces people who are equipped for a more successful life and will play their part in society better than we play ours, but that’s not the point. There is a cultural difference here that many of us have a problem bridging. Worse still, we are, for the most part, people who have left behind the security of home and a structured career to do things that most Taiwanese (and most of our own family) think are pretty strange. This is a site for people who are more adventurous, worldly, or just plain crazy than normal folks, and normal folks are more adventurous than the average Taiwanese.

Is it any wonder that having created a community online some of us look out at the rest of the world sometimes and shake our heads? Instead of getting angry about it, I advise you to just accept that people are different. And remember that ‘we’ are all different. You should try it some time.

Given that there are cultural differences between Taiwanese and us foreigners, is it wrong to look down on some practices of foreign people? Is it really so politically incorrect?

I don’t think foreigners here look down on women here per se, but more that foreigners here regard many local cultural practices / habits as backward. But seeing as the most common occurances is likely to be with your girlfriend, then it would be easy to see it as a problem between the foreign guy and his view of his gf rather than the culture in general. (Not that this is necessarily any better)

I’m quite sure many Taiwanese see things exactly the same way in reverse. Afterall, its a natural tendency to consider ones own cultural practices as ‘better’ as it just doesn’t make sense logically to have adopted them in the first place otherwise.

Although I must say that I remember the days when we used to run around the house with our shoes on and I’m glad to say that now we’ve adopted the habit of swapping shoes. We were so barbaric before!

A friend of mine brought his Japanese wife back to Australia where she was horrified to see Aussies walking around inside without shirts and shoes.

Honestly, I don’t remember being offended by your silly remark (and note, I am not saying that you are silly… only that your remark was silly).

I do remember thinking it was childish of you to use such insults directed at myself on your blog because I disagreed with you re moderating on this forum. I remember being a bit perturbed that you would act so childishly. But offended? I don’t think so. I mean, what’s so terrible about disagreement?

I’d also forgot about that incident until now. Are you still bothered by that? :idunno: