Ong Bak

For those of you not in the know this is a wickedly violent old-skool beat-em-up starring Tony Jaa. If you like the Muay Thai combat style, you’ll love this (forget the plot though) as there’s not a single wire to be seen in the fights and some of the moves are mind-blowing. The movie - though boasting a basic plot is a riot. There are two versions floating about - the original and Luc Besson’s masterful edit, complete with new soundtrack and pumped up for action demanding western audiences. Highly recommended…

One of those that has had me wondering. English sub-titles in Taiwan? After being disappointed renting Wasabi here(no English or French subtitles for Taiwan) and finally seeing the sub-titled version on TV in Thailand.

Overrated. Definitely wire work in it, but then again most people believed Jackie Chan did “all of his own stunts” (tell that to Fong Hak-On, Fwa Sing, Lo Wai-kwong and Chin Kar-lok). ONG BAK is entertaining and old school in its attitude, but it is nothing special, in my opinion.

Pfft. No wires? Shit, even in the trailer on TV for it the wires were obvious.

the movie was definitely great, even by hollywood standards. The scooter/riksha chase was GOLD.

I am really impressed with the THai film industry, first Ong Bak, and than Shutter, some great movies to be had…

[quote=“webdoctors”]the movie was definitely great, even by Hollywood standards. The scooter/riksha chase was GOLD.

I am really impressed with the Thai film industry, first Ong Bak, and than Shutter, some great movies to be had…[/quote]

For third-world cinema it’s pretty first class, but Thai cinema is mired in xenophobia. Even silly, enjoyable, disposable stuff like the monster movie GARUDA is rife with it.

ONG BAK is way overrated. Need to repeat that. Lower your expectations and you’ll enjoy that.